I come bearing news.

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:21 pm

Ancient wrote:Many happy returns.
TheInsanity1234 wrote:I'd taken into account my inexperience, and thus, was leaving a following gap of 3 to 4 seconds.

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Only 3-up, but indeed, and I was aware of that, which is why I was making sure of the huge following distance.

Whilst the '2-second rule' is often quoted, remember that the reason that "only a fool" breaks it is that it is a minimum practical distance (and only then in the dry, good conditions). Three to four seconds is not a "huge following distance" by any means.

Compared to my parent's standards, then yes, it's the equivalent of the distance between us and Pluto! :lol:
But that's something I'll make a mental note of.

onlinegenie wrote:
TripleS wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:I'll pass on the beer and just have coca cola :lol:

OK, get me an invitation, and I'll have the beer, then.

Oh, hang on, it's Liverpool. On second thought I prefer the wheels to remain on my car. :lol:

That stereotype is completely out of date! They won't take the wheels off your car (provided you keep your speed above 40mph at all times) :).

Certainly not a simple task, especially when you take into account the fact a large portion of Liverpool contains 30 limits :mrgreen:
TheInsanity1234

Postby fungus » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:28 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:akirk wrote:
worth also remembering that part of AD is giving others confidence in you - i.e. you drive not just your car - but the situation... if that includes parents in the car, then you need to consider them in how you drive... I live just off the A419 and there are times when 70 / 71 is very slow but other times when it is fast - depends on the traffic and weather - there are places where the wind really pushes the car around / places where the road camber is all wrong and throws you into the central reservation / places where there is a sudden change of road surface... A road like that is not simply a NSL dual carriageway it has a number of other things you should consider...

enjoy the driving step by step, don't worry about having to be perfect immediately - but enjoy the journey as well

Alasdair

When I was driving on it, it was at 11 am on Saturday so very quiet, and it was about 10:30 pm on the way back on Sunday, so very quiet again.
But I was actually staying at a GPS 70, the only times I crept up to 71 was because I was going on a downhill gradient and hadn't lifted quite enough to maintain my speed.

Remember that your parents will have doubts about your ability to control a vehicle at 70mph due to your inexperience. Also remember that your instructor will probably be more pro-active than your parents in drawing your attention to developing situations that you may be late reacting to. Your instructor also has the benefit of dual controls if he/she should need them.

As Ancient said, three to four seconds is not a huge gap and, given your inexperience, may be a larger gap would have made your parents feel more comfortable.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:28 pm

fungus wrote:Remember that your parents will have doubts about your ability to control a vehicle at 70mph due to your inexperience. Also remember that your instructor will probably be more pro-active than your parents in drawing your attention to developing situations that you may be late reacting to. Your instructor also has the benefit of dual controls if he/she should need them.

Absolutely, but I do hope they're more comfortable about my driving now.
I told my instructor about my trip up the A419, and his response was: "Unsurprising!" :lol:

As Ancient said, three to four seconds is not a huge gap and, given your inexperience, may be a larger gap would have made your parents feel more comfortable.

Absolutely, and I'll keep that in mind for the future.
I did ask my parents if they had any problems with my driving, or if they were happy, and they didn't complain about anything except for the fact I did 71 on the d/c.

But yeah, thanks for all this advice! :D
TheInsanity1234

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum