Stop signs and snow

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby jonquirk » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:15 pm

Of all the road signs used in the UK the stop sign is unique in being octagonal. I always understood that this was so that it could be recognised, even if it was plastered with snow.

There appears to be a trend to mounting road signs on a larger square, yellow background. While this helps signs stand out against a cluttered background, surely it negates the point of making the stop sign octagonal?
jonquirk

Postby TripleS » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:21 pm

jonquirk wrote:Of all the road signs used in the UK the stop sign is unique in being octagonal. I always understood that this was so that it could be recognised, even if it was plastered with snow.

There appears to be a trend to mounting road signs on a larger square, yellow background. While this helps signs stand out against a cluttered background, surely it negates the point of making the stop sign octagonal?

Yes, I suppose so, but then we've got far too many signs anyhow! :evil:

Oh, to hell with it all, the village pub will be open soon, and it's not far to walk. :lol:
TripleS

Postby GJD » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:06 pm

The other unique one is Give Way. All the other triangles are the other way up. As well as snow, the other explanation I've heard is that Stop and Give Way are the only signs that display the order/warning in words rather than a picture, so making them unique shapes means that you don't need to be able to speak English to know what they mean. That effect is not hampered if the sign happens to be on a square yellow background.
GJD

Postby 7db » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:28 pm

GJD wrote:Stop and Give Way are the only signs that display the order/warning in words rather than a picture

7db

Postby driverpete » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:16 pm

jonquirk wrote:Of all the road signs used in the UK the stop sign is unique in being octagonal. I always understood that this was so that it could be recognised, even if it was plastered with snow.

I don't recall ever seeing a stop sign mounted this way. Anyone got any examples? (Cue avalanche)
driverpete

Postby Ralge » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:27 pm

Me neither.
More money spent, more danger/history of crashes so expensive yellow backing tells a story and a Stop sign (as distinct from a Give Way) tells a story in itself.
But I can't recall ever seeing such a sign with yellow backing.
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Postby akirk » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:32 pm

:wink:

quick check on Google...
to be fair - might be unique!

File:A494 stop sign at A5104
http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/inde ... A5104.jpeg

Alasdair
akirk

Postby Astraist » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:51 pm

Stop and Give-way signs have a distinct shape so that they can be discerned even from the other parts of the junction, so that I would know, as an example, that crossing traffic should stop and yield to me, if I see the octagonal shape of the "Stop" sign.
Astraist

Postby revian » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:00 pm

TripleS wrote:

Yes, I suppose so, but then we've got far too many signs anyhow! :evil:

Oh, to hell with it all, the village pub will be open soon, and it's not far to walk. :lol:

When I was about 12 two of us cycled from Redcar to Whitby via the moors and back on the coast road. Snow was up to the top of the signs as we followed the snow plough.

The moral is...
1. If it's really bad what difference will the shape if the sign make?
2. Parents are best not told some things ( though it was a long day!)
3. The pub sounds the better choice... :D

Ian
Wirral
revian

Postby martine » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:31 pm

mefoster wrote:
Astraist wrote:I would know, as an example, that crossing traffic should stop and yield to me, if I see the octagonal shape of the "Stop" sign.

You want to try that again?

No I think he's right...I understand this as...even if you're approaching a junction from a different direction (and can't see the face of the sign), you can see the shape and know if opposing traffic should be stopping or giving way.

I've never thought of that before - nice one Astraist.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby akirk » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:40 pm

martine wrote:
mefoster wrote:
Astraist wrote:I would know, as an example, that crossing traffic should stop and yield to me, if I see the octagonal shape of the "Stop" sign.

You want to try that again?

No I think he's right...I understand this as...even if you're approaching a junction from a different direction (and can't see the face of the sign), you can see the shape and know if opposing traffic should be stopping or giving way.

I've never thought of that before - nice one Astraist.

Does it matter though? with either they still need to give way to you if they are in the minor road - admittedly - a give way might mean they might feel they can pop out in front, whereas a stop sign means they should stop - but observation suggests that most drivers seem to ignore the difference as much as the single / double / dashed / solid lines at the junction...

it is useful to have as much information as possible - but perhaps dangerous to derive assumption from it based on what drivers should do when so few seem to...

Alasdair
akirk

Postby martine » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:52 pm

akirk wrote:...it is useful to have as much information as possible - but perhaps dangerous to derive assumption...

Yes totally agree.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Silk » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:53 pm

In my experience almost no one obeys stop signs (which is probably just as well because if my mother-in-law knew she had to stop at the one at the end of her road, she'd likely sit there all day waiting for it to turn to "go"), so we may as well not bother with them. In fact, I can't think of any situation where a slow creep wouldn't be safer than coming to a complete stop.

Along with the need to have to go around the dot in the middle of a mini roundabout, It's something I believe we could do without. So it doesn't really matter if it gets covered in snow. IMO, or course.
Silk

Postby michael769 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:26 am

The stop sign in the shape it is because the UK decided to adopt the UNECE road signage standards which includes this shape.

Snow is rarely such a problem in the UK, so it is questionable that the unique shape has much value from that standpoint, but it can be the case in other countries.

It's main value in the UK is that it can easily be recognized from other angles and I for one find it useful to be able to distinguish between a give way/stop sign from other road signs for a distance.

As for the yellow background, while that is allowed, the DfT guidelines strongly discourage its use unless there is clear evidence that the extra visibility it offers in required at a given location.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby revian » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:11 am

michael769 wrote:Snow is rarely such a problem in the UK, so it is questionable that the unique shape has much value from that standpoint, but it can be the case in other countries.

.. and from memory of N Yorks where I was born (Dorset doeskin see much snow on the coast) driving or wet snow doesn't particularly notice the shape of a sign... just obliterates it...

Ian
Wirral
revian

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum