Most disappointing car you've driven?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby martine » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:38 pm

Perhaps it was something you'd been looking forward to...or had heard good things about but once behind the wheel it didn't live up to your expectations...and why?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Adamxck » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:52 am

I was all set to buy a 986 2.7l Boxster until I tried one.

It's a very good car. Good in this context meaning well damped, compliant, predictable, handled sublimely, brilliant feedback through the wheel and so the list goes on as you would expect from a Porsche.

The problem was there was no sense of occasion or theatre about it. Perhaps I was expecting too much, or expecting the wrong driving experience entirely but It didn't excite me in the way I had hoped. I really wanted to like it, but I just didnt.

Perhaps if I stuck a silly exhaust on it and changed the air intake for something a bit more vocal it might be more interesting, but I still don't think it would feel special which is what I'm looking for in my next car.

I suppose that is the problem; it's brilliant, but not special.
Adamxck

Postby martine » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:38 am

Interesting - I've been a passenger in a 3.2l Boxster and it made a lovely noise - esp. when the 'Sport' mode was employed. Perhaps the 3.2 is a different beast.

I was disappointed in the Aston DB9 - admittedly this was a short session on-track but I was surprised how soft the suspension was...may be different experience on-road and in any case it's still drop-dead gorgeous visually.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Adamxck » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:05 pm

Perhaps I should try an 'S' then. TBH I assumed it would be very similar, just a touch faster.
Adamxck

Postby hir » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:44 pm

Adamxck wrote:Perhaps I should try an 'S' then.

I found the ride on the "S" was far too hard and harsh on our uneven and not very smooth roads.
hir

Postby jcochrane » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:51 pm

I've driven a number of cars that would be considered "high performance" and whilst very quick they don't seem as quick as I thought they would be with the accelerator fully down. I think that is probably because they don't usually match the acceleration of some motor bikes I've ridden in the past but also being out in the open rather in a snug cockpit every thing does seem faster.

I haven't driven the McLaren MP4-12C yet which is likely to change all that from what I've heard.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby jont » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:16 pm

Adamxck wrote:Perhaps I should try an 'S' then. TBH I assumed it would be very similar, just a touch faster.

I nearly started this thread naming the Boxster, but I thought people had got bored of me calling it a bit "meh" :lol: Appears it may not just be me.

Of other cars, the dodge Challenger I had last year in the US. For a 3.6 V6 with ~300bhp, it just felt, well, horribly slow. I think the gearbox really didn't help (2nd >100mph, 3rd for around 140). Maybe they forgot it now had 5 speeds instead of 3?

If you want "special", the only cars that do it for me are Lotus, Caterham and TVR. (Mclaren might come into this category, but ownership isn't going to happen, so not much point considering it).
jont

Postby jont » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:51 pm

StressedDave wrote:
jont wrote:
Adamxck wrote:Perhaps I should try an 'S' then. TBH I assumed it would be very similar, just a touch faster.

I nearly started this thread naming the Boxster, but I thought people had got bored of me calling it a bit "meh" :lol: Appears it may not just be me.

Can I retract my earlier answer? I've driven jont's car... a prime example of what happens when the engineers believe, after reading the 'how to build a proper car' book, decide to feed it into a shredder and throw any old crap together.

:evil: I blame marketing for insisting it has to sit low and ride on 18" wheels...
Anyway, it might be crap, but at least that means it has "character" :lol:
jont

Postby sussex2 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:26 pm

I've rarely been disappointed with cars that have just enough power to do the job. It's the ones that have so much power they need shed loads of electronics to hold them back I have a problem with.
If I was to be put on the spot and had to write a list the following would be on the bad list:
Honda Accord
Any Saab after GM got their hands on the marque
Most Jaguars until the most recent additions.
I could go on ad infinitum but by and large find that some superb cars are now made by what used to be called 'volume producers' and some of the products are excellent.
I cannot imagine paying over the odds for a badge.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby martine » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:37 pm

I'm hoping 'Mr. Cholmondely-Warner' or 'Stefan Einz' are going to reaffirm my belief the Boxster S (and Cayman S) are actually great cars...Nick/Steve...please...
martine

Postby jont » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:50 pm

martine wrote:I'm hoping 'Mr. Cholmondely-Warner' or 'Stefan Einz' are going to reaffirm my belief the Boxster S (and Cayman S) are actually great cars...Nick/Steve...please...

I think the problem Adamxck and I have with them is that they are /too/ good.
jont

Postby martine » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:34 pm

jont wrote:
martine wrote:I'm hoping 'Mr. Cholmondely-Warner' or 'Stefan Einz' are going to reaffirm my belief the Boxster S (and Cayman S) are actually great cars...Nick/Steve...please...

Ha - yes I know what you mean but then again...it seems a bit perverse and you might as well go for a bad handling, slow, unreliable...errr Alfa anyone?

(sorry - that was a joke)
martine

Postby Gareth » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:29 pm

Boxsters and Caymans, especially the 'S' versions, can let an adequate driver delude themselves into believing they have a measure of greatness ... and an appropriate Alfa can put them back in their place :oops:
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby jcochrane » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:41 pm

jont wrote:

For me the Boxter is disappointing the "S" far better but better still the Caymen S. As jont has said it's too good. Makes even a poor driver look impressive. Get a bend slightly wrong and the car will sort it out for you.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby akirk » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:46 pm

sussex2 wrote:If I was to be put on the spot and had to write a list the following would be on the bad list:
Most Jaguars until the most recent additions.

Had 2 x XJS - first was okay (3.6 auto) second though was fantastic (4.0 manual) - still regret selling that car...

agree it went a bit meh for a while - but loving some of the recent ones...

I think that one of the few disappointments I had was the petrol freelander (1st generation) I owned - so slow and boring, and tiny inside - went back to rangerovers :) otherwise I am lucky to have only owned cars I liked - and as for driving others, there are few where I had high expectations which were then unfulfilled... either I was realistic, or the car lived up to what I expected...

Alasdair
akirk

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum