Most disappointing car you've driven?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby akirk » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:28 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I really want 2 Range Rovers, a 5.0 SCV8 and the 4.4 TDV8, then take them both to be discreetly overfinched.
Petrol for making a racket, diesel for mile-munching.

Then I'd grab myself a Defender, and take that to be overfinched too.
This'll be my about town car

Then I'd search out a massive SUV hybrid with a V8 petrol so I can chug into central London free of charge ;)

Oh and a Jaguar XKR convertible with a V8 for those summer days!

That would be my perfect garage.

Firstly - I would avoid overfinch now - they seem to focus more on rather weird body kits - JE engineering is a good starting point - a long history of working with Landrover and some stunning modifications - they did my last range rover and transformed it...

by all accounts the TDV8 with a decent exhaust might do the job - but if you can afford the car, then forget about MPG and just enjoy the petrol - having owned a hand built chipped 5.0l v8 RR it is a thing of deep deep beauty :D

Alasdair
akirk

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:48 pm

Angus wrote:You are Jeremy Clarkson and I claim my £5

My taste in cars has been heavily influenced by him :lol:

akirk wrote:Firstly - I would avoid overfinch now - they seem to focus more on rather weird body kits - JE engineering is a good starting point - a long history of working with Landrover and some stunning modifications - they did my last range rover and transformed it...

I don't want any body kits! The standard is exactly how I like it. I would only want to uprate the drivetrain and engine.

by all accounts the TDV8 with a decent exhaust might do the job - but if you can afford the car, then forget about MPG and just enjoy the petrol - having owned a hand built chipped 5.0l v8 RR it is a thing of deep deep beauty :D

Alasdair

The petrol would merely be for driving around being a lord and laughing at the peasants :lol:

The diesel would be for mile munching (as in, on days when I don't want to fill up the tank every 36 seconds :lol:)
TheInsanity1234

Postby akirk » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:47 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:The diesel would be for mile munching (as in, on days when I don't want to fill up the tank every 36 seconds :lol:)

No, no, no :)
You have misunderstood rangie ownership...
To be a proper rr owner, you:
- don't care about breakdowns (luckily!) you just take a different car
- you don't even look at the petrol cost on the pump, you simply wander into the shop and ask to pay for whichever is the most expensive pump total! And it comes with a huge tank to give the impression that it doesn't often need filling!
- parking is easy - 45deg across high street and pavement and pootle into shop...
- you don't look down on peasants, you simply get your chap to jet wash the car after running them over
- you don't worry about on road or off road, if you are not on your estate you must be on your chums' land
Etc...

It is def. a way of life!
Alasdair
akirk

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:55 pm

Well, Jon, John, Adam and Dave, you'll never be forced to drive my car again :mrgreen:

Personally I think the only really fast 911 I've ever driven was a bit of a disappointment. I'm not sure I know the exact model it is, but I expect some of you know the car - it's white and belongs to a gentleman of somewhat reactionary tendencies with short hair. I was rather overawed by it, but at the same time, felt I was at arms length from it due to its supreme abilities and lightning quick PDK gearbox.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:50 pm

akirk wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:The diesel would be for mile munching (as in, on days when I don't want to fill up the tank every 36 seconds :lol:)

No, no, no :)
You have misunderstood rangie ownership...
To be a proper rr owner, you:
- don't care about breakdowns (luckily!) you just take a different car
- you don't even look at the petrol cost on the pump, you simply wander into the shop and ask to pay for whichever is the most expensive pump total! And it comes with a huge tank to give the impression that it doesn't often need filling!
- parking is easy - 45deg across high street and pavement and pootle into shop...
- you don't look down on peasants, you simply get your chap to jet wash the car after running them over
- you don't worry about on road or off road, if you are not on your estate you must be on your chums' land
Etc...

It is def. a way of life!
Alasdair

And you have misunderstood MY way of life! :lol:

I'm the sort of person who likes to pick 'n' mix when it comes to being "me".

Hence why I have long and uncontrollable hair, almost always wears jogging bottoms and a t-shirt, scuffed up nike trainers and probably looks like I've just walked off an housing estate.

And yet, I live in a 6 bedroom house in an agreeable village in West Berkshire! :lol:

I've always despised fashion, much preferring to do things my way :lol:

It is also why I would apply sense to Range Rover ownership, and purchase a petrol AND a diesel model (Of course, they have to be the biggest engines available, then tuned up).

Because I'm not "normal". But then, what is "normal"?
TheInsanity1234

Postby Silk » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:50 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:

And there's me thinking you were wise beyond your years. :shock:

In most cases, if Clarkson likes it, I invariably hate it. That's how it should be. :wink:
Silk

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:25 pm

Silk wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:

In most cases, if Clarkson likes it, I invariably hate it. That's how it should be. :wink:

The thing is, I like Top Gear, and for all his stupidity, he does have a great ability to put his reviews of cars into simple terms.

Also, he adores the Madza MX-5, so he really does know what cars are what :lol:
TheInsanity1234

Postby waremark » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:36 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
Silk wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:My taste in cars has been heavily influenced by him :lol:

The thing is, I like Top Gear, and for all his stupidity, he does have a great ability to put his reviews of cars into simple terms.

Also, he adores the Madza MX-5, so he really does know what cars are what :lol:

He loved the Skoda Yeti. Silk, what cars does he like that you don't?
waremark

Postby TR4ffic » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:31 pm

StressedDave wrote:...But it sort of proves the point that modern sportscars (if designed properly) are boring from a 'driver making the difference' point of view. The Boxster is merely the cheapest entry point to that sort of car.

IMHO modern cars, although all very capable, could all come under the heading of 'Disappointing' or 'Boring' when keeping within the posted speed limits; its all down to a lack of driver engagement.

I don't usually get to drive it much, but I can get more enjoyment out of driving my Son's Peugeot 107 with its 900cc 3 cylinder engine - more revs required, more stirring of the gearbox required.

I also enjoy towing our touring caravan - a large 4x4 plus twin axle caravan makes for a 40ft long outfit. More careful planning, observation and timing increases engagement, and gives a level of achievement.

So, if you want more driving enjoyment, more driver engagement don't go modern, go older, go classic... After a house move during the summer that now provides me with a garage, a classic car (sports or saloon) is on the shopping list... but what to get?
Riveting – The most fascinating job you could ever have..!

Nick
IAM Member since 1985
TR4ffic

Postby akirk » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:10 pm

TR4ffic wrote:So, if you want more driving enjoyment, more driver engagement don't go modern, go older, go classic... After a house move during the summer that now provides me with a garage, a classic car (sports or saloon) is on the shopping list... but what to get?

couldn't agree more...
A couple of years ago I was looking for a sports car and test-drove the Frontline (Abingdon) MG Midget - which is old and midget shaped, but rather different underneath and in the engine bay...
coming out of a wet town to a NSL road, an M3 tried to overtake :) I have never felt a car shift so fast - handling was superb and it was a hoot in the wet... the MGB I used to have (basically original) was also a lot of fun...

Alasdair
Last edited by akirk on Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
akirk

Postby jont » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:06 pm

StressedDave wrote:Classic 911... still nothing to beat it for driver involvement.

Or wallet beating (maybe bar classic Ferrari) :lol:
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/ ... dr/3213649
jont

Postby waremark » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:12 pm

jont wrote:
StressedDave wrote:Classic 911... still nothing to beat it for driver involvement.

Gosh, a Club Sport for £180k! Pretty special, but owners must be tempted. If that price is right they seem to have gone up dramatically in a few years. Has that one been owned by anyone known to forum members?
waremark

Postby jcochrane » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:01 pm

waremark wrote:
jont wrote:

Gosh, a Club Sport for £180k! Pretty special, but owners must be tempted. If that price is right they seem to have gone up dramatically in a few years. Has that one been owned by anyone known to forum members?

If it is the one owned by someone we know and it is the one that StressedD refers to then having driven it I have to agree it's a lovely car to drive.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby TR4ffic » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:16 am

waremark wrote:Gosh, a Club Sport for £180k! Pretty special, but owners must be tempted. If that price is right they seem to have gone up dramatically in a few years. Has that one been owned by anyone known to forum members?

Prices in the classic car market have definitely been on the up over the last 18m/2yrs. Unfortunately my available budget hasn't kept pace..! :(
Riveting – The most fascinating job you could ever have..!

Nick
IAM Member since 1985
TR4ffic

Postby stefan einz » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:19 pm

jont wrote:

Good heavens. I know Hexagon overprice their cars, but even so I am shocked at that price. My car is insured for £90k (bought it for £30k 8 years ago) and it has only a few more miles on it (56,000).

One of the other cars known to me has around 65,000 miles on the clock, and the other two just a bit over 100,000 (and both have had engine rebuilds, as mine is having now).

Anyhow, as for how good they are to drive - well, personally, I think they are the single most engaging car I have ever driven. It is, without doubt, in my top three all time cars.

Cheers
stefan einz

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum