A funny/sad video?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:32 pm

I looked at the Peugeot and the Nissan today. The Peugeot has no symbol that I can find. I suspect that when fuel is low one just gets a message in the dot matrix display in the middle. The Nissan has no symbol on the dash either, but the fuel filler flap release does have a pump with the hose on the correct side. You can't see the release lever while driving, though.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby martine » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:39 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I looked at the Peugeot and the Nissan today. The Peugeot has no symbol that I can find. I suspect that when fuel is low one just gets a message in the dot matrix display in the middle. The Nissan has no symbol on the dash either, but the fuel filler flap release does have a pump with the hose on the correct side. You can't see the release lever while driving, though.

I think you may misunderstand Nick...the arrow (< or >) is next to the petrol pump symbol on the fuel gauge itself...nothing to do with any electronic symbol that may flash up when low...or perhaps I'm misunderstanding your understanding... :shock:

TripleS: yes just...took the ST to Bordeaux for 2 weeks in October and did 2,800 miles...lost count of the number of times we visited French fuel stations...but...I still love my car and pleased to do my bit for keeping you old'uns warm in the winter!
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby chosulman » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:38 pm

Last edited by chosulman on Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
chosulman

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:34 am

martine wrote:I think you may misunderstand Nick...the arrow (< or >) is next to the petrol pump symbol on the fuel gauge itself...

Ah, I see ... :oops:

Well I just looked at the Peugeot again, and while it has a symbol of a pump in the gauge, with the hose coincidentally on the correct side (the right), there is no arrow. I'll look at the Nissan in the morning, I can't find the keys just now.

I think most 5 year olds, if asked to draw a petrol pump with a hose, would put it on the right hand side of the pump. I can't recall ever seeing one with it on the left.

ETA: the Nissan DOES have a little arrow. I'm quite excited now - can't wait for the next opportunity to try this out in an unfamiliar car :mrgreen:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby TripleS » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:32 am

There was no problem remembering which side the filler was on with the Jaguar XJ6/XJ12 Series 1, 2 and 3. They had twin tanks and a filler each side, with a changeover switch on the fascia panel. It was an elaborate system, but I liked it.
TripleS

Postby waremark » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:42 pm

TripleS wrote:There was no problem remembering which side the filler was on with the Jaguar XJ6/XJ12 Series 1, 2 and 3. They had twin tanks and a filler each side, with a changeover switch on the fascia panel. It was an elaborate system, but I liked it.

Having 2 fuel tanks or a switched reserve was desirable before the days of low fuel warning lights, let alone remaining range displays.

IIRC you had to open both fillers to fill either tank.
waremark

Postby TripleS » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:31 pm

waremark wrote:
TripleS wrote:There was no problem remembering which side the filler was on with the Jaguar XJ6/XJ12 Series 1, 2 and 3. They had twin tanks and a filler each side, with a changeover switch on the fascia panel. It was an elaborate system, but I liked it.

Having 2 fuel tanks or a switched reserve was desirable before the days of low fuel warning lights, let alone remaining range displays.

IIRC you had to open both fillers to fill either tank.

No, I'm quite sure it was only necessary to open the filler of the tank that (not infrequently :roll: ) required filling, and the venting arrangements made provision for that.

Back in my Series 3 days I did quite a bit of work on the cars myself, and I bought copies of the Jaguar parts lists. There were several pages of illustrations showing the layout of all the various fuel system components, and their part numbers. As I said, the system was quite elaborate.
TripleS

Postby akirk » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:36 pm

One of the few cars I have driven where the fuel guage is always visibly moving - daimler limo. it had two gauges as I recall and you didn't get very far even with two tanks!

Alasdair
akirk

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:39 pm

This one always makes me chuckle whenever I see it!

Regarding the fuel arrow discussion, I went out and had a look, and both the mother's Yeti and the father's Galaxy have a little arrow in the fuel gauge to show which side the fuel filler is on.

I've heard of these reserve tanks, but I always wondered whether they were just actually a small tank above the main one, or whether they were an actual full-sized extra tank.
TheInsanity1234

Postby chosulman » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:50 pm

Last edited by chosulman on Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
chosulman

Postby akirk » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:28 pm

the daimler I drove was one of these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daimler_DS420
not a reserve fuel tank - but two 10 gallon tanks - one in each wing - I assume because it didn't get in the way, whereas a 20 gallon tank would have been more intrusive - the xjs I ha - they had 20 gallon tanks, but built as a bulkhead between cabin and boot...

Alasdair
akirk

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:36 pm

I would hate to be the provider of money to run one of those! :shock:
TheInsanity1234

Postby revian » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:29 pm

Wirral
revian

Postby skodatezzer » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:39 pm

Did my test in one of those, in 1964. passed, too! :D
IAM National Observer. Chair, E. Surrey IAM.
skodatezzer

Postby revian » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:21 pm

skodatezzer wrote:

Did my test in one of those, in 1964. passed, too! :D

20 to the gallon in every situation/condition/speed... 8)
Wirral
revian

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum