What drivning Experience day?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby oxtondriver » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:48 pm

Following on from the best 3 cars you have driven thread.
I have realised I have drivien a very small amount of cars and nothing nearing anything exotic.

So with this in mind and my birthday approaching in early Feb. I've decided that I would quite like to do a Driving experience day.

The question is which one?
Can anyone share their experince of days they have partaken and maybe some suggestions.

All input is very welcome.

Many thanks

Kris

oh and Happy New Year.
IAM 22/09/2008 (Wirral Group)
Rospa Gold 14/01/2014 (Merseyside Group).
Ford Focus ST
oxtondriver

Postby akirk » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:22 pm

not done one - but from friends who have:

- steer clear of any of the 'red letter' types of day where you get three laps as passenger in a car, and then perhaps a couple more driving it with lots of restrictions (e.g. rev limits etc.) universally they have been reported to have been 'okay' but not worth the money - there are also some where they have had to almost fight with others to go in the car they want...

- consider the Palmer motorsport options - expensive but apparently fab.
http://www.palmersport.com/full-day-programme.aspx
from Formula 3000 to landrover, Atom to Caterham, M4 to Jaguar JP-LM - an amazing set of cars and you drive them all!

Alasdair
akirk

Postby Rick101 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:02 am

Echo that. I'm aiming to do a Palmer day this year.

I hear the Porsche experience is very good, also the Lotus Academy day at Hethel, but then I am bias.
Rick101

Postby waremark » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:34 am

You would get more time in the cars with this sort of thing (also expensive):
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JBuXJmCZ9xA
waremark

Postby Horse » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:15 am

Mercedes have their centre at Brooklands, might be worth looking at. When I passed by (going to the motor museum), there was something very rorty being thrashed up the track :)

However, for 'fun' purposes, do a skid pan session :mrgreen:
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby martine » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:04 pm

Take a look at:

http://www.advanced-driving.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4828&hilit=everyman

The one I did with Everyman Racing (see thread) was great.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby oxtondriver » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:27 am

Thanks for the replies gents, lots of good suggestions and lots to look at.

So far the Palmer Sports full day is the most appealing. I may have to wait till my 40th birthday for that though.

Waremark your sons video was very good I liked the look of the MacLaren and the lambo very nice indeed.

Please keep the suggestions coming.
IAM 22/09/2008 (Wirral Group)
Rospa Gold 14/01/2014 (Merseyside Group).
Ford Focus ST
oxtondriver

Postby revian » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:54 pm

You could 'nearly buy' lots of different cars and enjoy the test drives... :shock:
Wirral
revian

Postby waremark » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:18 pm

oxtondriver wrote:Waremark your sons video was very good I liked the look of the MacLaren and the lambo very nice indeed.

Please keep the suggestions coming.

My son now has a McLaren 650S Spider. It is hard to imagine a 'better' sports car. It is ludicrously fast (0 - 100 mph in 5.7 seconds), handles brilliantly, rides genuinely well, has a superb dual clutch auto box, is quite refined, sounds OK, has excellent mod cons and even manages decent luggage space.

None of that necessarily makes it 'best to drive'. I don't say no to having a go in it, but not being a driving god I find a slower car with manual gears more satisfying.

From what I recall, in that video my son got most pleasure from the cheapest car (the Lotus). There must be a moral in that.
waremark

Return to General Car Chat Forum