Changing two cars for one that does it all(almost)

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Kimosabe » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:04 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:
Kimosabe wrote:
PS: Watch this space, as this could all turn into a Meteor Grey X5 4.0 at the drop of a hat :roll:

Come lie on my couch and let's discuss what you, internally, know are your true responsibilities rather than your egotistical desires. :)

Ah, so you also have 'a couch'? This reminds me of a past-life when I was a young boy named 'Hans'. Something to do with horses..... can you help? :wink:
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby Kimosabe » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:16 pm

jameslb101 wrote:I think Gareth hit the nail on the head first time round: a BMW is the way to go and a 3-series makes a great do-it-all car.

I preferred the drive of my E36 328i to my E46 325i - it was lighter and more involving but still a perfectly refined car when it needed to be. I'm currently running an E39 530i which is fantastic, but leans too far towards the barge end of the spectrum to be a good all-rounder.

Guessing you want something newer though, and for various reasons I'd steer clear of turbos, so perhaps an E90 330i? AFAIK they don't do an NA 6-pot in the F30.

BMWs have covered the market very well with their different iterations and the 330i/330d does cause me car lust issues. Her indoors likes our Freelander's height due to a sense of safety. I tried to explain but it didn't work.... :roll:

It's a tough one alrighty.
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:16 pm

StressedDave wrote:How many cars over what period and how many of them expired from lack of oil?

BMW drivers don't have to worry about oil, they have a man for that - a bit like Jaguar drivers :P
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby WhoseGeneration » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:09 pm

Kimosabe wrote: This reminds me of a past-life when I was a young boy named 'Hans'. Something to do with horses..... can you help? :wink:

Aah, the always present desire for a better stallion, of the best heritage, often to impress the other boys.
Of course, a certain brand, with heritage, of Italian stallion is often considered an ultimate amongst horseless carriages in one's stable.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby revian » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:08 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
StressedDave wrote:How many cars over what period and how many of them expired from lack of oil?

BMW drivers don't have to worry about oil, they have a man for that - a bit like Jaguar drivers :P

I've had a good look around and can't find him anywhere. Must have left him at the country estate minding the p(h)easants....
Wirral
revian

Postby playtent » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:53 am

I have to say that you'd be hard pressed to better a 330d estate for all round ability. I prefer the handling of the estate over the saloon as did the majority of the drivers on my last refresher.
258bhp and a proper 40mpg is hard to ignore, as is the push in the back at pretty much any speed when you push the pedal.
Rear wheel drive and space for the dog.

Unfortunately it wasn't big enough for me so I have the 535d M sport estate. Admittedly 35mpg but with over 300bhp and the sort of throttle response that is instant at any speed, it's addictive.

They no longer make a manual in the new shape 330d if that was your preference.
playtent

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum