The value of dashcams...

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby jwatkins » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:06 pm

Silk wrote:
Garrison wrote:No, I do not have a dash cam and no plan on acquiring one.

Go back 20 years and you can substitute dash cam for mobile phone. Now everyone has a mobile phone.

I'd tend to agree with this tentative prediction. I wouldn't be surprised if on-board cameras become compulsory at some point in the future, or at the very least, encouraged by insurance companies.
jwatkins

Postby Garrison » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:25 pm

Silk wrote:
Garrison wrote:No, I do not have a dash cam and no plan on acquiring one.

Go back 20 years and you can substitute dash cam for mobile phone. Now everyone has a mobile phone.

Yes, I use my mobile phone as a "dash cam" but for a different purpose. I use it for the purpose of diagnostics.

I run the Torque app on my mobile which does data logging wirelessly with the OBD2 port. The data is over-lay on the "dash cam" so I can download my engine performance / sensor perimeters / faults relative to the throttle and brake pedal position, speed, revs., GPS location on map, live camera feed, etc.

Personally, I prefer to ask my co-driver / coach to analyse my driving instead of using the data logging ...
Garrison

Postby MGF » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:29 pm

I use a dashcam for the purpose of diagnostics too. I sometimes use it to diagnose my own driving in a planned way as well as occasionally reactively after an incident in which I was not happy with my judgement or a failure to anticipate something I believe I ought to have.

Most of the time the camera is recording on a loop and I forget its presence.

If you want it for evidence purposes then set it on a short recording loop.
MGF

Postby sussex2 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:17 pm

Surely a more educated driver should know, by training and by virtue of the training instinct, when they have not coped with a situation as well as they could.
I can't see having a camera and going over it would help much as you know at the time what you have done wrong.
I have a strong dislike of the idea of a dash cam, would never buy one nor encourage their use.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby akirk » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:07 pm

sussex2 wrote:Surely a more educated driver should know, by training and by virtue of the training instinct, when they have not coped with a situation as well as they could.
I can't see having a camera and going over it would help much as you know at the time what you have done wrong.
I have a strong dislike of the idea of a dash cam, would never buy one nor encourage their use.

you can feel that something was wrong, but much easier to understand it when reviewing it pictorially

Alasdair
akirk

Postby jwatkins » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:45 pm

As I suggested previously,maiden the fact that you don't have to use, or even retrieve the data from a camera, is there really any downside of having it there just in case it helps you out one day?
jwatkins

Postby Silk » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:19 pm

jwatkins wrote:As I suggested previously,maiden the fact that you don't have to use, or even retrieve the data from a camera, is there really any downside of having it there just in case it helps you out one day?

I may as well out myself as having one. It just sits there quietly recording on a 4 hour loop. I barely notice it's there, but it may come in handy one day. I occasionally have a look at the footage if something interesting has happened, but most of the time I forget about it.

I have a feeling they will become standard fit in new cars over the next few years and will be coupled to a "black box". If it takes some of the stress out of dealing with collisions, then I can't see it being anything other than a good thing.
Silk

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:50 pm

Silk wrote:
jwatkins wrote:As I suggested previously,maiden the fact that you don't have to use, or even retrieve the data from a camera, is there really any downside of having it there just in case it helps you out one day?

I may as well out myself as having one. It just sits there quietly recording on a 4 hour loop. I barely notice it's there, but it may come in handy one day. I occasionally have a look at the footage if something interesting has happened, but most of the time I forget about it.

I have a feeling they will become standard fit in new cars over the next few years and will be coupled to a "black box". If it takes some of the stress out of dealing with collisions, then I can't see it being anything other than a good thing.

The major benefit will be helping you handle situations where a car with no passengers, just a driver has reversed into you, or rolled into you at a hill start, then hop out and accept responsibility, then a week later you get informed by the insurance company that the driver's accusing you of driving into them, and they're also claiming compensation for the 5 invisible passengers present at the crash.
TheInsanity1234

Postby sussex2 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:42 am

akirk wrote:
sussex2 wrote:Surely a more educated driver should know, by training and by virtue of the training instinct, when they have not coped with a situation as well as they could.

you can feel that something was wrong, but much easier to understand it when reviewing it pictorially

Alasdair

I'll change that to know something was wrong; which you should be able to do as a more educated driver.
You should, by the time you reach that level, also know exactly what was wrong and how to fix it.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby akirk » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:05 am

sussex2 wrote:
akirk wrote:

Alasdair

I'll change that to know something was wrong; which you should be able to do as a more educated driver.
You should, by the time you reach that level, also know exactly what was wrong and how to fix it.

Sorry, I would fundamentally disagree with that...
If that was true, then we would all move from amateur to top level professional at all skills we wish to acquire...
If that was true why do even top drivers (AD / F1 / etc.) continue to take coaching and training
Just look at some of the threads here breaking down the steps or skills to (e.g.) steer around a corner - it is very difficult to be self-aware during a drive, and even using video footage won't help with everything - to assume that an AD should be able to self-diagnose and fix is I think just not the case...

Alasdair
akirk

Postby Silk » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:11 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
Silk wrote:

The major benefit will be helping you handle situations where a car with no passengers, just a driver has reversed into you, or rolled into you at a hill start, then hop out and accept responsibility, then a week later you get informed by the insurance company that the driver's accusing you of driving into them, and they're also claiming compensation for the 5 invisible passengers present at the crash.

Ideally, you would need a multiple camera system that backs up to the cloud.
Silk

Postby akirk » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:42 am

Silk wrote:Ideally, you would need a multiple camera system that backs up to the cloud.

It will come - top level 4x4s have multi-camera systems built in for off-road driving & they have internet / mobile connection - wouldn't be difficult to implement...

Alasdair
akirk

Postby jont » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:00 am

Silk wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:The major benefit will be helping you handle situations where a car with no passengers, just a driver has reversed into you, or rolled into you at a hill start, then hop out and accept responsibility, then a week later you get informed by the insurance company that the driver's accusing you of driving into them, and they're also claiming compensation for the 5 invisible passengers present at the crash.

Or better still, a society that behaves decently in the first place :roll:
jont

Postby Silk » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:31 am

jont wrote:
Silk wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:The major benefit will be helping you handle situations where a car with no passengers, just a driver has reversed into you, or rolled into you at a hill start, then hop out and accept responsibility, then a week later you get informed by the insurance company that the driver's accusing you of driving into them, and they're also claiming compensation for the 5 invisible passengers present at the crash.

Or better still, a society that behaves decently in the first place :roll:

Most of society does, but we have to protect ourselves from the growing minority that doesn't. I would much rather donate the money I spent on a dash-cam to a cause for the eradication of scumbags - but it seems there's no political will. :(
Silk

Postby Kimosabe » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:56 pm

I have two dashcams. They aren't always in my cars unless I decide to fit them and that's the point. The issue for me is that one day, as with mobile phones,TVs, PCs (both types) iPads etc, cars will have cameras fitted as a matter of course. Then the images will be remotely viewable and linked to Satnav mapping in order for the orforiteez to spoil everyone's lives.

Resistance is futile!
If you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to hide.
It's for your own safety, security and protection.
We only collect data to help improve our systems and to inform third parties...and to sell for advertising....
Before driving, please enter your username and password.
You have entered an invalid username. Please scan your eyeball on the radar scanner situated under the front bumper of your car. You have scanned an invalid eyeball, please call customer services.
Thank you for calling, your call is important to us. Do not attempt to move your vehicle. Please listen to the following nine options. To report a fault....beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.....
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum