New Learner - My Online Diary

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby martine » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:41 pm

You were definitely right to stop using this instructor - sounds very poor.

I'm not quite sure I understand the issue with going back to your original one?

Or if you want one close, then use google to search and also http://www.driving.org- click on 'Find an Instructor'. There's nothing wrong with asking loads of questions over the phone (like: if you turn up late do I get a full hour?) and try some trial lessons 'till you find one you're happy with.

Keep us posted with what you decide and how you get on.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby driving2day » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:37 am

Thank you, I'll take a look at that website.

I live miles away from my previous instructor so having lessons with her weekly is difficult. Before I was taking 3-4 lessons a week, which worked out good, so I could get a good handle of the car. I was then advised on here to consider 2 hour lessons.

Unfortunately now, if I wanted to go back to her, it wouldn't be as easy as booking even one lesson a week, because I do not go to that area where she teaches weekly. I go either every two weeks, three weeks, or even after a month and it is costly to go there if you were to add up the travel cost. I am not sure whether I should take lessons with her every time I go back, as I don't want to leave lessons so late that my theory test ends up expiring.
Female - learning to drive
driving2day

Postby Gareth » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:09 am

driving2day wrote:I don't want to leave lessons so late that my theory test ends up expiring.

Slightly confused - have you done the theory test yet?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby fungus » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:29 pm

Gareth wrote:
driving2day wrote:I don't want to leave lessons so late that my theory test ends up expiring.

I would say yes.

I had a pupil a few years ago who had passed her theory test, then took her practical, approached a junction too quick, messed up the gear change and found herself in the wrong gear. Because of this she affected another driver. Test failed. I advised her to book another test imediately, as she was the type who would give up easily. A couple of weeks passed and I'd heard nothing. I phoned to enquire what was going on and she said that she wasn't sure what she was going to do. I tried to encourage her to carry on as she was actually quite a good driver. I heard nothing for about fifteen months, then I had a phone call from her wanting to continue with lessons. She said that she needed to get on with it as her theory was expiring in about three weeks. We tried on several occasions but could not get a test within that time.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby driving2day » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:19 pm

Gareth wrote:

Yes, I did it a few months ago which means I have less than two years, which may seem like a long time but it isn't if I end up going back to my old instructor and would have to factor in when to do lessons as I'd have to book them when I'm in the area.

fungus wrote:
Gareth wrote:

I would say yes.

I had a pupil a few years ago who had passed her theory test, then took her practical, approached a junction too quick, messed up the gear change and found herself in the wrong gear. Because of this she affected another driver. Test failed. I advised her to book another test imediately, as she was the type who would give up easily. A couple of weeks passed and I'd heard nothing. I phoned to enquire what was going on and she said that she wasn't sure what she was going to do. I tried to encourage her to carry on as she was actually quite a good driver. I heard nothing for about fifteen months, then I had a phone call from her wanting to continue with lessons. She said that she needed to get on with it as her theory was expiring in about three weeks. We tried on several occasions but could not get a test within that time.

I ended up moving which is why I didn't carry on with her and thought it would be easy to find another instructor, but it isn't. I checked the link posted above and there is only one near me listed on there and I don't feel like spending on someone I have no recommendations of. This is so confusing but I don't know what to do.

Should I call up my old instructor and say sorry a zillion times and ask her to take me back but having lessons in an unusual way? I don't like changes, and I'd say change in instructor, especially if the new one isn't as good as the old one, is a change.
driving2day

Postby ROG » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:29 pm

I wonder how many ADIs would let a potential client sit in the back and observe a lesson with another pupil - providing it was ok with the pupil ???
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby TripleS » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:00 pm

ROG wrote:I wonder how many ADIs would let a potential client sit in the back and observe a lesson with another pupil - providing it was ok with the pupil ???

I'm glad you asked that, ROG, because it's something that has interested me for a while, not because I'm seeking the assistance of an ADI (although maybe I should be, some might say :P ). It's just that I would like to see at first hand how new drivers are being taught these days.

Perhaps ADI members here will let us know how the idea might be received.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby martine » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:17 pm

ROG wrote:I wonder how many ADIs would let a potential client sit in the back and observe a lesson with another pupil - providing it was ok with the pupil ???

I'd be fine with it providing the learner was as well of course...it's their money.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby driving2day » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:26 pm

That's a good idea, I should ask them that.
driving2day

Postby driving2day » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:22 pm

Well I have found another driving instructor and the lesson went well. I drove in many areas, went on 50mph, 40mph, 20mph and lower. She wanted to see how I drive, and as what my other instructor used to say, my right turns are good, my left turns with positioning I need to get better at. I also hesitate more on the narrower roads, meeting cars etc.

Glad to be back driving though. Did roundabouts and frightened of them but I hope this will be my attempt to make my way to the driving test centre.

Question: Where I live the nearest test centre is where a lot of people fail. It is a busy area, lots of hazards (as the last instructor said who I had for 4 lessons) and I know people who have failed many times here, and passed at the other test centre instead. I know that at the end of the day if you're a good driver you'll drive properly anywhere, but is it better to be giving yourself a sort-of easier test? I did mention it to the instructor today but she said about wherever you drive a good driver will pass, but sometimes people fail over very silly things in this area because there may be another car around (like slowing down) so should I decide or take the place which is nearer with more hazards?
driving2day

Postby fungus » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:37 pm

driving2day wrote:Question: Where I live the nearest test centre is where a lot of people fail. It is a busy area, lots of hazards (as the last instructor said who I had for 4 lessons) and I know people who have failed many times here, and passed at the other test centre instead. I know that at the end of the day if you're a good driver you'll drive properly anywhere, but is it better to be giving yourself a sort-of easier test? I did mention it to the instructor today but she said about wherever you drive a good driver will pass, but sometimes people fail over very silly things in this area because there may be another car around (like slowing down) so should I decide or take the place which is nearer with more hazards?

Is the reason for the high failure rate due to the area being a difficult area? Possible. But as your instructor said, if you're a good driver you should be able to pass anywhere.

Another thing to consider is whether the reputation of that test centre has anything to do with the high fail rate, leading those of a less confident nature to fear failure.

Take this example for instance. I am currently helping a lady in her fifties who passed her test in London five years ago but has only driven two or three times since. The problem she has, is that when she has to move off on a slight hill at traffic lights she will panic because she fears that she will stall the engine. The reason is because of previous failures in these situations. Consequently, when confronted with these situations, she would invariably stall the engine. To help address this problem I have been planning routes that have junctions on hills. I also get her to stop on a hill in a quiet area, find the biting point, dip the clutch a little so as the car will roll back, release the handbrake and bring the clutch up gently to stop the car rolling without using the gas or brakes. This has improved her clutch control on hills with the result that she is now able to roll up to a junction on a hill and hold the car on the clutch
creeping forward to improve her view without using the handbrake.

Discuss your concerns with your instructor and get her to take you around the difficult areas to help you with your understanding of these areas. Don't worry if you do not cover test routes, because as your instructor has basically said, if you can drive, you can drive anywhere. I personally do not teach test routes as I fell that it does the pupil no favours. Instructors who teach test routes often have higher pass rates, but I would question whether the pupil is as well prepared for life after the test as those who have not been taught test routes, but have had a more variety in their lessons.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby waremark » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:22 pm

One thought is that it is worse to pass when you should fail than to fail when you should pass. This would suggest that you should be prepared to accept on test any situation which you may have to face when driving on your own after the test. Obviously your new instructor expects to teach you well enough to get you up to the standard required to pass at your local test centre.
waremark

Postby driving2day » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:30 pm

Thank you. I will probably stay in the area. I don't really like the narrow roads here but I know I need to get used to them.

I have a question regarding stalling. My first instructor used to tell me to put the handbrake on, go to neutral, then restart the car. However, the new instructor, in whose car I stalled twice, told me I didn't need to go to neutral and can leave it in first. I suppose it is better to be safer in an exam and go to neutral, and perhaps first is for real life drivers? I'm not sure but I was wondering who is correct.
driving2day

Postby TripleS » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:13 pm

waremark wrote:One thought is that it is worse to pass when you should fail than to fail when you should pass. This would suggest that you should be prepared to accept on test any situation which you may have to face when driving on your own after the test. Obviously your new instructor expects to teach you well enough to get you up to the standard required to pass at your local test centre.

I think I agree with that.

Obviously it could be tempting to take the test where a pass is felt to be easier to obtain, but you're still going to have to deal with difficult situations sooner or later - when you're on your own. Passing your test at a centre where you believe it to be more difficult will be much more satisfying, and better for your level of confidence subsequently, and if you then seek to progress from there with the learning processes, everything should be fine.

I hope things go well for you.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby fungus » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:44 pm

driving2day wrote:I have a question regarding stalling. My first instructor used to tell me to put the handbrake on, go to neutral, then restart the car. However, the new instructor, in whose car I stalled twice, told me I didn't need to go to neutral and can leave it in first. I suppose it is better to be safer in an exam and go to neutral, and perhaps first is for real life drivers? I'm not sure but I was wondering who is correct.

Difficult one to be precise, but if there is a danger of rolling into the priority road, then it's probably best to put the handbrake on and keep your foot on the foot brake to show the brake lights to the following driver. If there's no danger of rolling, then maybe not. If you stall half way across a road, then do as the Yanks would say, " get the hell out of there", in other words, no brake at all, clutch down, start the engine and get going. In my experience, it can depend on an examiners preferences.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

PreviousNext

Return to Learner Driver Forum