Good websites with lots of tips?

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby Zebedee » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:46 am

This is excellent advice:

Ralge wrote:Find a decent instructor and you won't need to think "yeah, yeah, I'll be ditching that as soon as ..." - one that teaches qualified drivers "defensive" and "advanced" (and who is qualified to do so, too) but that's my being partial rather than impartial. The one who will teach you to drive not just pass a test.

+1. Find a driving instructor who's also a Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Diploma or at least passed RoSPA Gold (or, better still, been an advanced driver in the police). There are certainly instructors like this around.

I've ditched nothing that my original instructor taught me for my L-test, thanks to having had a good instructor. Rather, I've built on what he taught me.
Zebedee

Postby Ralge » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:36 am

Zebedee wrote:This is excellent advice:

Ralge wrote:Find a decent instructor and you won't need to think "yeah, yeah, I'll be ditching that as soon as ..." - one that teaches qualified drivers "defensive" and "advanced" (and who is qualified to do so, too) but that's my being partial rather than impartial. The one who will teach you to drive not just pass a test.

+1. Find a driving instructor who's also a Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Diploma or at least passed RoSPA Gold (or, better still, been an advanced driver in the police). There are certainly instructors like this around.

I've ditched nothing that my original instructor taught me for my L-test, thanks to having had a good instructor. Rather, I've built on what he taught me.

And this is easier than you might think.
Find out which company/organisation delivers NDORS courses (speed, driver alertness, D4C, what's driving us) in your area.
Find out where/when the classroom/on-road sessions are run from.
Stalk the venue (?!) and see which cars turn up (some/many but not all will have driving school livery).
Ask for a business card.
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:13 pm

And then I'll fall over the stumbling block of not being able to understand them, unless they've had deaf-awareness training or have experience of working with deaf people.

The only driving school I could work with is "Nias Driving School" (http://www.niasdrivingschool.co.uk/), because they're recommended by my school (I go to a school for the deaf), and according to the website, they do offer advanced driving courses, so... But at the moment, my choices are very restricted, as I don't want to be paying £25 an hour to spend half an hour teaching the instructor how to teach me.
TheInsanity1234

Previous

Return to Learner Driver Forum