Good websites with lots of tips?

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu May 29, 2014 1:25 pm

Hi.

I was just wondering if there are any good websites with loads of tips for learner/younger drivers as I fancy having some summer reading and the highway code is probably going to get a bit dull :lol:

I know that there is a website called "DriveSmart" which I've just run through and it's very useful, and I've looked at the "driving tips" section on this website.

Have you guys got any idea of any other websites? :)
TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu May 29, 2014 7:27 pm

I'll have a look at those a little bit later then! :)
TheInsanity1234

Postby Ralge » Fri May 30, 2014 11:26 am

You could read "Driving: the essential skills" (DVSA)
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri May 30, 2014 11:56 am

I'm hoping to find free stuff online, but I suppose I could buy a book or two if people recommend it highly.

I'm afraid I can't buy any DVDs unless you can guarantee that there are subtitles on it, as a factual DVD with no subtitles is as useful to me as a biscuit in learning useful skills.
TheInsanity1234

Postby Horse » Fri May 30, 2014 12:01 pm

http://www.survivalskills.co.uk/rskills.htm

What sort of info do you want?

If not test-specific, then there are some good bike sites which may be interesting for you.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri May 30, 2014 12:04 pm

Well, generally stuff that would help me pass my test easier, and will help me maintain a higher standard of driving after the test :)

But being a bored teenager who very rarely likes to go out, I'd probably pounce on ANY website that has anything to do with cars and driving :lol:
TheInsanity1234

Postby fungus » Fri May 30, 2014 9:14 pm

As Ralge said, read Driving the Essential Skills. It's by the DVSA, and they're the government agency that set the driving test.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri May 30, 2014 11:34 pm

I'll see if I can get it some point :)
TheInsanity1234

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:40 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I'll see if I can get it some point :)

I hope you appreciate that most here are really looking forwards to your posts describing your actual on road learning experiences.
My advice? Don't be too cocky, just take on board what your instructor tells you.
It is rather rote, accept it and then you can move onto AD.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:00 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:

I hope you appreciate that most here are really looking forwards to your posts describing your actual on road learning experiences.
My advice? Don't be too cocky, just take on board what your instructor tells you.

I'm of the mind-set that I'll do whatever is necessary to pass my test, and when I get my license, I'll just chuck whatever I've learnt that's pointless out of the window and work on AD skills to replace those, and to reinforce the basics.

I don't wish to be one of those students that know it all, as I've had my experiences, and there's nothing worse than someone ignoring you, doing something their way, then cocking it up badly.

I may be an observant passenger, but I don't intend on being overly cocky. Just confident.

I certainly look forwards to my lessons, and I know you guys are going to be interested in whatever the latest argument between me and my instructor is about :twisted:
TheInsanity1234

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:42 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:

I'm of the mind-set that I'll do whatever is necessary to pass my test, and when I get my license, I'll just chuck whatever I've learnt that's pointless out of the window and work on AD skills to replace those, and to reinforce the basics.

I don't wish to be one of those students that know it all, as I've had my experiences, and there's nothing worse than someone ignoring you, doing something their way, then cocking it up badly.

I may be an observant passenger, but I don't intend on being overly cocky. Just confident.

I certainly look forwards to my lessons, and I know you guys are going to be interested in whatever the latest argument between me and my instructor is about :twisted:

Small point, in the UK you might get a licence, you appear to want to be tested in the USA to get a license.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby fungus » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:35 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:Small point, in the UK you might get a licence, you appear to want to be tested in the USA to get a license.

Irksome American spelling WG? :lol:
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:19 pm

fungus wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:Small point, in the UK you might get a licence, you appear to want to be tested in the USA to get a license.

Irksome American spelling WG? :lol:

:oops: My bad.
I've spent too much time on American websites :roll:

I must admit, I've always had issues trying to decide which spelling variant is supposed to be used, because now so many of my friends use the american spelling for a lot of things, which has resulted in me getting slightly confused about what spelling to use.

Don't be concerned, I'm still defiantly spelling "sulphur" even though the official spelling is now "sulfur".

Another thing that infuriates me is when people think it's "defiantly" when it's supposed to be "definitely" :evil:
TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:20 pm

mefoster wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:I must admit, I've always had issues trying to decide which spelling variant is supposed to be used, because now so many of my friends use the american spelling for a lot of things, which has resulted in me getting slightly confused about what spelling to use.

With licence and license it's not a difference between UK and US usage, rather the difference is that licence is the noun and license is the verb.

Ooooooh! I see now :) Ta!
TheInsanity1234

Postby Ralge » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:18 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:

I'm still wondering what specifically you expect to be taught and what you perceive you would do to pass the L-test but chuck out afterwards.
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Next

Return to Learner Driver Forum