Some news!

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby akirk » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:34 pm

oh no - scary :D

well done...
start of a long journey - but a lot of fun

Alasdair
akirk

Postby trashbat » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:37 pm

Congratulations - had no doubt, to be fair :)
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby skodatezzer » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:34 pm

Well done, that man!! (thought you would, mind you :D ) Now, as others have already said, you can really start to learn to drive. It is, btw, a never-ending process, but a lot of fun!
IAM National Observer. Chair, E. Surrey IAM.
skodatezzer

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:11 pm

Well done :!: :mrgreen:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby fungus » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:19 pm

Well done. :D :D :D
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:23 pm

revian wrote:Well done. :D

How many did you wipe out during the test :wink:

Ian

Only the odd elderly couple or two! They didn't seem like they had much longer to go anyway :wink: :mrgreen:

martine wrote:Very well done. Are you planning on doing Pass Plus or perhaps a lesson or 2 with an ADI on motorways? How about rural roads?

I fully intend on doing Pass Plus! Have to discuss it with my instructor though.

Rural roads?

I live in Lambourn in Berkshire, it's difficult NOT to learn how to drive on rural roads around here :lol:
TheInsanity1234

Postby Horse » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:44 pm

Well done, TI :)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:15 pm

Thanks everybody!

I believe my parents are going to let me loose behind the wheel on the motorway for a jaunt to Essex to visit my friends on Friday!

My mum shall accompany me, as she needed to run an errand to Essex already, so may as well get some motorway experience under my belt!
TheInsanity1234

Postby revian » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:17 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
revian wrote:Well done. :D

How many did you wipe out during the test :wink:

Ian

Only the odd elderly couple or two! They didn't seem like they had much longer to go anyway :wink: :mrgreen:

That's 20 bonus points...

Though I'm just in the process of retiring... So don't step out in front of me. I might not see you...

:D
Wirral
revian

Postby TripleS » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:23 am

mefoster wrote:Congratulations!

Now you can start learning how to drive :)

Aye, and if you're like me you'll be finding it takes a long time. :lol:

Anyhow, many congratulations, I'm really pleased for you.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Rick101 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:56 am

Congrats.
Rick101

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:17 pm

I'm not sure I'll come on an ADUK day before the beginning of the summer holidays at the earliest, as most of my free time currently is taken up with the building of my garden railway (g-scale, and no, you can't ride on it)

And anyway, the only chariot available to me is an 'eco' diesel mini-SUV. Certainly the 'anti-car' for a driving day? :mrgreen:

mefoster wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:Thanks everybody!

I believe my parents are going to let me loose behind the wheel on the motorway for a jaunt to Essex to visit my friends on Friday!

My mum shall accompany me, as she needed to run an errand to Essex already, so may as well get some motorway experience under my belt!

How much has the insurance gone up now that you have passed?

This is on the Yeti, with both parents insured to drive it.
Insurance with me as a learner driver was about £97 a month (about £1160 a year) while I was a learner, and it's gone up to about £122 a month with me as a fully licensed driver (£1460 a year).

Apparently, before I was added on as a learner, insurance for my parents only was £25-odd a month, so about £300 a year.

I added more than a grand on to their quote.
TheInsanity1234

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:03 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:my garden railway (g-scale, and no, you can't ride on it)
Pics!!!

TheInsanity1234 wrote:And anyway, the only chariot available to me is an 'eco' diesel mini-SUV. Certainly the 'anti-car' for a driving day? :mrgreen:
au contraire, Blackadder. There's always a goodly smattering of eco-wagens, and even Skodas, on driving days. If you get on the same day as StressedDave, you might find eco-Skodas are capable of more than you dreamed ... ;)
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:12 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:my garden railway (g-scale, and no, you can't ride on it)
Pics!!!

It's still in the super early stages :lol:

TheInsanity1234 wrote:And anyway, the only chariot available to me is an 'eco' diesel mini-SUV. Certainly the 'anti-car' for a driving day? :mrgreen:
au contraire, Blackadder. There's always a goodly smattering of eco-wagens, and even Skodas, on driving days. If you get on the same day as StressedDave, you might find eco-Skodas are capable of more than you dreamed ... ;)

Oh, eh?

I certainly feel like I don't extract the fullness of the Yeti's potential, but I feel like if I attempt to reach the full potential, I'll be disappointed :lol:
TheInsanity1234

Postby akirk » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:20 pm

the course I did in January clearly showed me that my capability is way way short of any car - and I am a bit of the way along my journey - so no longer at the start... but modern cars are just so capable... and seeing a fantastic driver at the helm really does show the difference...

most interesting though was that changing how I drive makes my less exciting car more fun - so your yeti will be absolutely fine, I think there is an expectation that the fun in driving comes solely from the car - but I think it is the driver primarily - a bad drive in a good car is painful to watch, a good driver in a not so good car is a joy to watch (of course a good car & driver together is sublime)...

so don't worry about your steed - enjoy the moment...

Alasdair
akirk

PreviousNext

Return to Learner Driver Forum