road sign when approaching 3 lane round about :)

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby DandelionP » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:29 pm

hi :)

I have had a few lessons but I have a question

when approaching a 3 lane roundabout, I know left lane is turning left, right is 3rd or 4th exit and middle is 2nd exit but sometimes left lane can be used as 2nd exit on a 3 lane roundabout? my instructor said the road sign on the approach to the roundabout will clearly tell you if left is just for turning left

can some one please clarify this ? maybe please send a link to a road sign that shows left is just for left on 3 way roundabout?

thank u ^^
DandelionP

Postby martine » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:21 pm

Hi,

See here

But others may not have a road sign just a road marking...take a look at the arrows on the road surface...

here

When approaching a roundabout look for signs and road markings to help you...it's especially tricky if there's queuing traffic covering the road markings!

As always, if you find yourself in the wrong lane, first rule is 'Don't Panic!'. Look for gap to merge into the correct lane but if you're too close to the junction or roundabout, simply follow the directions in the lane you're in and sort it out later. It's always best to be safe than make a hasty swerve without checking mirrors and blind-spot - that's dangerous and will fail your test whereas it's perfectly possible to pass even if you take the wrong exit on the roundabout but do it safely.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby DandelionP » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:15 pm

thank you that helped a lot ^^

I got confused sometimes because I cant see the road markings because of traffic blocking them but signs will help this
DandelionP

Postby Ancient » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:18 am

When you can't see the road markings (and there are no board signs to tell you which lane is for where), then being able to see 'rubber and road' as you slow and stop behind the queue becomes even more important. Allow enough gap between yourself and the vehicle in front that, as it clears a road marking, you can tell what it is without losing track of what else is going on around, the markings in the other lane (usually will be in the same place) and the 'bikes passing you.
Ancient

Return to Learner Driver Forum