Theory Test (results)

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving and training for LGV, HGV, PCV, Minibus's etc type vehicles.

Postby zerocool » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:43 pm

Took my LGV Theory test today and failed !!! i was gutted, however the pass mark for the multiple question is 51 out of 60 i got 58 just two wrong so was really pleased with that, then i go on to the hazard perception test, the pass mark 50 out of 75 i got 48- just out by 2 points out, i was gutted for the sake of two points, who knows next time, going to re book again now another £32.
zerocool

Postby TripleS » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:59 pm

zerocool wrote:Took my LGV Theory test today and failed !!! i was gutted, however the pass mark for the multiple question is 51 out of 60 i got 58 just two wrong so was really pleased with that, then i go on to the hazard perception test, the pass mark 50 out of 75 i got 48- just out by 2 points out, i was gutted for the sake of two points, who knows next time, going to re book again now another £32.

Well I'm sorry to hear that, particularly as your downfall was caused by a test that sounds more like a computer game knack than a meaningful evaluation of our true ability at hazard perception. I'm inclined to feel the HPT should be withdrawn from usage until they've developed a more realistic version.

I hope all goes well next time.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby zerocool » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:24 pm

to be honest, i have been driving for 8+ years never had an accident or claim, i'm very hazard aware when driving and on the video clips some of the driving i thought was a bit ruthless and would have not done myself and therefore would have forseen the hazard a lot earlier in my own car.
zerocool

Postby vonhosen » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:50 pm

It's not about how early you identify the potential hazard in the test, it's about hitting their scoring zone for the developing hazard.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby fungus » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:54 pm

Ah the hazard perception test!

I am an ADI and had to take the HPT. as I qualified before it was introduced for ADIs. I failed on the first attempt, passed on the second.

As a driver with 39 years experience, I can tell you that experienced drivers do not wait until the hazard developes before acting. And this is the problem with the way the the test is set up. Experienced drivers are more proactive, and usualy click too early. Whereas 17 year olds tend be reactive, and click as soon as the hazard developes, just like a computor game.

It is little wonder that the HPT.has had no positive effect on the casualty figures of the 17 to 21 year old age group.

The government has finaly admitted what many ADIs have been saying for years, that the test is not fit for purpose. But will it be withdrawn? I doubt it, it's a good money earner for the DSA.
fungus

Postby vonhosen » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:10 pm

fungus wrote: I can tell you that experienced drivers do not wait until the hazard developes before acting.

They do if they know what they've got to do to pass the test. :wink:
vonhosen

Postby zerocool » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:22 am

I would like to know where they get their figures from scoring a maximum of 75 who on earth would get that close
zerocool

Postby vonhosen » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:03 am

I know of a 73.
It's just a game you've got to know how to play.
vonhosen

Postby Renny » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:22 am

As Von says it is a game that you have to learn the rules and the strategy to get a good score. I've sat the HPT twice now (once for ADI and then Examiner), fortunately passed both times, although the last time was only by 2 marks as two clips were discounted because I clicked for too may hazards.

The trick seems to be to click once for a potential hazard, then click again if it develops. Try not to click too often :oops:
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby MGF » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:13 pm

zerocool wrote:I would like to know where they get their figures from scoring a maximum of 75 who on earth would get that close

I got 71 :shock:

This thread has a lot of useful information.

Try and do some practice ones but most importantly learn a proven technique before paying for another test.
MGF

Postby waremark » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:49 pm

waremark wrote:Do get some practise/demo CD ROMs before taking the HPT. It is essential to know how the 'game' works - the sort of time at which a hazard changes from a potential to a developing hazard, and how often you can click without being disqualified. Being able to recognise hazards on the road has virtually nothing to do with passing this test!

Did you take the advice I gave in response to your enquiry a couple of weeks ago? What preparation did you do?

BTW, an 18 year old told me you can pass by clicking every two seconds throughout the test - apparently you are not disqualified for too many clicks unless they are too close together. But too close together just at the time when you should be reacting to the hazard (ie before the test considers the hazard to have developed) and you get zero points for that hazard. Absurd.
waremark

Postby Renny » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:55 am

waremark wrote:But too close together just at the time when you should be reacting to the hazard (ie before the test considers the hazard to have developed) and you get zero points for that hazard. Absurd.

I think that is where I went wrong :oops: You have to limit the clicks :wink:
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image

Renny

Postby zerocool » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:54 am

well i have re booked mine so going to try different strategy this time round and hopefully pass
zerocool

Postby Renny » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:02 pm

Good Luck
Renny
MM0KOZ
BMW 118d Sport Image

Renny

Postby zerocool » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:42 pm

Renny wrote:Good Luck

well hopefully i'am prepared this time and then i can get on with my LGV training thanks anyway.
zerocool

Next

Return to LGV, HGV, PCV Driving Forum