New mirror legislation

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving and training for LGV, HGV, PCV, Minibus's etc type vehicles.

Postby daz6215 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:22 pm

Euro-MPs demand new lorry mirrors, effective from April 2009.
The European Union has introduced regulations that require vehicles over 3.5 tonnes to be fitted with devices to improve the driver's field of vision on the passenger side of the vehicle.
The new legislation means vehicles over 3.5 tonnes registered after 1st January 2000 must be equipped with rear a view mirror with a 300 mm radius of curvature. Vehicles must be in compliance with the EC directive by 1st April 2009.
The directive is to improve the safety of road users, in particular road users such as pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists. Where there is a greater risk of being involved in accidents with large goods vehicles, which have a blind spot on the passenger side. There have been number of accidents where pedestrians and riders have been struck by goods vehicles after entering the road space on the inside of the vehicle and into the driver's blind spot.
Previous Legislation – was that the mirrors had to be 400 mm glass radius.
New Legislation – states that the mirror must have a 300 mm glass radius.
daz6215

Postby ROG » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:30 pm

A smaller mirror :!: :!: :shock:
Or did I read that wrong :?:
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Big Err » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:37 pm

ROG wrote:A smaller mirror :!: :!: :shock:
Or did I read that wrong :?:

I think its a smaller radius of the mirror lens to give a wider field of view.
Big Err

Postby Gareth » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:37 pm

I think it refers to the curvature of the mirror surface, meaning that it will result in a greater field of view for the driver.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby rodericksdad » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:37 pm

Wonder if this will also apply to buses,we have some MAN,s that had origional mirrors with some curvature on them,they got broken and hey presto cheap orrible flat mirrors fitted with a blind spot as large as you like, :(
Best regards,Clive.
rodericksdad

Postby daz6215 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:40 am

The directive states that all vehicles are equipped on the near side with mirrors or such devices to provide the improved field of vision. This can be achieved in by the following methods;
• One wide angle mirror and one close proximity mirror that provide the required field of view.
• One exterior rear view mirror and one wide angle mirror which combine to give the appropriate field of view.
• One wide angle mirror and one close proximity mirror which combine to give the appropriate field of view.
• One mirror which acts as both a wide angle and close proximity mirror and provides the appropriate field of view.
• Any other device

Current Requirement New Requirement
Goods vehicles over 3.5 up to 7.5 tonnes Two exterior mirrors, New Requirement Two main exterior mirrors; plus one “Improved” Class IV wide angle mirror and one “Improved” Class V close proximity mirror on the passenger side (unless these mirrors cannot be fitted at least 2m from the ground and still be visible to the driver)
Goods vehicles over 7.5 up to 12 tonnes Two exterior mirrors,New Requirement Two main exterior mirrors; plus one “Improved” Class IV wide angle mirror and one “Improved” Class V close proximity mirror on the passenger side
Goods vehicles over 12 tonnes Two main exterior mirrors, plus one Class V close proximity mirror on the passenger side, plus (for articulated vehicles) one Class IV wide angle mirror on the passenger side, New Requirement Two main exterior mirrors; plus one “Improved” Class IV wide angle mirror and one “Improved” Class V close proximity mirror on the passenger side
NOTE. Under New Requirement, “Improved” means compliant with the requirements of Community Directive 2003/97
daz6215

Postby Renny » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:27 am

rodericksdad wrote:Wonder if this will also apply to buses,we have some MAN,s that had origional mirrors with some curvature on them,they got broken and hey presto cheap orrible flat mirrors fitted with a blind spot as large as you like, :(

Are they the "unbreakable" plastic mirrors? They are awful in all conditions. In rain they are unheated and the water does not run off them, in sun or at night, they are scratched so distort images even further. I'd expect that this will be picked up at annual test.

Interesting that is it retrospective for post 1 Jan 2000. Pity it seems nopt to apply to passenger carrying vehicles.
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby rodericksdad » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:10 pm

Renny wrote:
rodericksdad wrote:Wonder if this will also apply to buses,we have some MAN,s that had origional mirrors with some curvature on them,they got broken and hey presto cheap orrible flat mirrors fitted with a blind spot as large as you like, :(

Are they the "unbreakable" plastic mirrors? They are awful in all conditions. In rain they are unheated and the water does not run off them, in sun or at night, they are scratched so distort images even further. I'd expect that this will be picked up at annual test.

Interesting that is it retrospective for post 1 Jan 2000. Pity it seems nopt to apply to passenger carrying vehicles.

They are the very ones,they are okay when new but as you say once they are scratched you may as well kiss goodbye to safe reversing using mirrors.

The nearside ones that we have fitted are now protruding a couple of feet forward of the front windscreen on a bracket similar to the coaches(but not as flash :lol: )and this is brilliant for the wet bad weather as they seem to stay clear of all the spay and dirt kicked up by the front nearside wheels.
Best regards,Clive.
rodericksdad

Postby Renny » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:29 am

Do you not tie a strip of cloth to the mirror head to keep it clear? It flaps over the glass and wipes it clean.

Mind you town buses might not go fast enough (unless you have the same employer as Andrew :lol: )

Just to compound things with those plastic mirrors, they are almost impossible to break :twisted:
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby rodericksdad » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:50 pm

Renny wrote:Do you not tie a strip of cloth to the mirror head to keep it clear? It flaps over the glass and wipes it clean.

Mind you town buses might not go fast enough (unless you have the same employer as Andrew :lol: )

Just to compound things with those plastic mirrors, they are almost impossible to break :twisted:

No need where these are situated,so no cloth needed we do the runs between towns which makes life a bit more interesting,not the same employer as Andrew but they seem to have the same tactics :)
Best regards,Clive.
rodericksdad

Postby MiniClubmanEstate » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:11 pm

Interestingly, the bus company I work for has started fitting large mirrors to most of their vehicles (excluding the Dart's).
We have the same problem with silly little flat square mirrors being fitted to Wright Lowfloor's and Scania Solars. Sadly our new company policy hasn't resulted in any of those useless square mirrors being replaced. Another interesting feature of all the buses fitted with these small flat mirrors have an increased amount of dents in that famous swinging out tail area.
Andrew: PCV, IAM Car
Smoky - Pronounced as Smokey, a unique little Mini.
MiniClubmanEstate

Postby nodigitsever » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:04 am

no prob to me then as I am exempt

you see my Head of State and Sovereign (the Queen) Swore on Her Coronation Oath to "Govern me according to my Laws and Customs"

as it is NOT Customary to follow Foreign Laws in England I think I will ignore this new so called (illegal) legislation!
nodigitsever

Postby nodigitsever » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:52 pm

"Legislation" can only carry the force of Law with your Consent, did you Consent as I did NOT!, therefore ignore this Null and Void Law!, simple!

is it English Law as living in England we are ONLY subject to that, anything else is Illegal
nodigitsever

Postby nodigitsever » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:54 pm

as 9,000 Ksi's are caused every Year by "Foreign" trucks! who do they think they are ffs?
nodigitsever

Postby ROG » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:12 am

nodigitsever wrote:"Legislation" can only carry the force of Law with your Consent, did you Consent as I did NOT!, therefore ignore this Null and Void Law!, simple!

is it English Law as living in England we are ONLY subject to that, anything else is Illegal

Err.... public vote in govt - govt has to abide by EU laws - that's also why we vote for MEPs

If you did not vote then you do not have a voice
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Next

Return to LGV, HGV, PCV Driving Forum