Open Learning and EU Driving Hours.

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving and training for LGV, HGV, PCV, Minibus's etc type vehicles.

Postby MiniClubmanEstate » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:54 am

I have been working for A reputable coach/school bus operator for almost two months now on a part time casual basis, this means somewhere over 50 hours per week with my quietest being close to 34 hours. When initially I was interviewed by one of the companies owners I mentioned that if I were simply casual I may return to full time education whilst remaining available when I was off. This would require that I maintain records of my activities to comply with EU driving hours regulations. I have decided to cancel the college course which I was originally enrolled allowing me to continue the regular work which my employer is providing.
I would now like to pursue some courses available through the Open University whilst taking whatever work my employer has to offer. With Open University courses being designed for study in the individuals own time would I be correct in assuming that I would not need to record my studies as work activities, or would I have to maintain a record of other work meaning that I could not study during a weekly rest period or into a daily rest period?

Thanks in advance.
Andrew: PCV, IAM Car
Smoky - Pronounced as Smokey, a unique little Mini.
MiniClubmanEstate

Postby daz6215 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:38 pm

I wouldnt have thought so if your not being paid to do it!
daz6215

Postby ROG » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:43 pm

daz6215 wrote:I wouldnt have thought so if your not being paid to do it!

Spot on :D
Training hours only count if if a company is paying for them or your time.
That goes for both the EU driving regs and the RTS(WTD) regs

The RTD(WTD) hours are mainly the responsibility of the EMPLOYER.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Return to LGV, HGV, PCV Driving Forum