Poor Professional Drivers

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving and training for LGV, HGV, PCV, Minibus's etc type vehicles.

Postby daz6215 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:16 am

It can be assessed what their knowledge is by effective use of Q & A and the course can then be tailored to suit the individuals involved. It's good to get a healthy discussion going and exchange ideas, and I must say the drivers who we have just had went away enjoying it and with a feeling that had all learnt things.
daz6215

Postby ROG » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:09 pm

daz6215 wrote: I must say the drivers who we have just had went away enjoying it and with a feeling that had all learnt things.

Great, but that leaves many that would not.
Most will lose money by having to take a day off work and then have to pay for these courses as there is nothing that says a company or agency must pay.
With the above in mind, it will mean that most will opt for the cheapest course available - even if it means doing that same 7 hours course 5 times (legally ollowed !!!) to get the 35 hours.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby daz6215 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:30 pm

ROG wrote:
daz6215 wrote: I must say the drivers who we have just had went away enjoying it and with a feeling that had all learnt things.

Great, but that leaves many that would not.
Most will lose money by having to take a day off work and then have to pay for these courses as there is nothing that says a company or agency must pay.
With the above in mind, it will mean that most will opt for the cheapest course available - even if it means doing that same 7 hours course 5 times (legally ollowed !!!) to get the 35 hours.

Most of the people we have had through were payed for by their employers, so it didnt really effect them, yes I suppose there will be a minority out there who will have to fund their own, but thats one of the drawbacks of being self employed or on an agency.
daz6215

Postby ROG » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:03 pm

daz6215 wrote:I suppose there will be a minority out there who will have to fund their own

Try - THE MAJORITY - according to the stats gained from the truckers site - remember there are many LGV drivers who do not use their licence often but will still need this to drive commercially.
The only reason that trainers are getting a false impression is that companies have started to pay for it - individuals will not part with cash until they have to.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby MiniClubmanEstate » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:52 pm

I work for a private coach hirer and I will be paying for my own CPC and doing in on my holidays, can't wait. :evil:
What I would be glad to do would be to be assessed and observed by an advanced PCV driving observer who shares my enthusiasm for driving in general, similar to what I did on an IAM car course, but I don't suppose there is much chance of this.
Andrew: PCV, IAM Car
Smoky - Pronounced as Smokey, a unique little Mini.
MiniClubmanEstate

Postby daz6215 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:17 pm

Why is regular updating of knowledge or skill fround upon , its the mentality you cant teach me anything else I know it all, very similar to why the vast majority of car users dont do AD , well i've past my test why do anything else, yes people will need to pay, but hey Ive paid a fortune out over the years to become a professional in what I do because Im self employed and no one will pay for me. If the transport industry wants to be seen as professional then cpd needs to be done in one form or another, people that drive a wagon once every 5 year SHOULD need to do it without a shadow of a doubt, ive seen some of these people on the road, driving 44 tonne around is a huge responsibility and regular training can only be a good thing How many of todays truckers know how to rope and sheet? is that taught when you pass your test? the answer is no, but you can learn this stuff on cpc courses, how many times have you driven out there and saw insecure loads etc, should we just leave them to it and let them make mistakes on their own like we do with newly qualified learners or should we ensure that there is help out there where skills can be improved upon and learned? money will always be a contentious debate but what price can you put on your licence if you lose it or more importantly how much can you put on the price of a life?
daz6215

Postby ROG » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:36 pm

You cannot put a price on PROPER training but the training required for securing loads etc is a physical task which then needs to checked/tested to ensure it is done correctly
This cannot be done by theory alone
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby daz6215 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:51 pm

ROG wrote:You cannot put a price on PROPER training

Why cant you?

but the training required for securing loads etc is a physical task which then needs to checked/tested to ensure it is done correctly
This cannot be done by theory alone

Its not, its practical normally carried out in the yards during CPC training
daz6215

Postby ROG » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:01 am

daz6215 wrote:its practical normally carried out in the yards during CPC training

With the type of loads that they are actually carrying on the type of trucks they are using to carry the loads ? - certainly not !! - again, it is a representation of what to do unless it is in-house training.

NOTHING will beat on-the-job training done by an experienced driver which is what the industry has always done and still needs to be done - the driver cpc cannot replace this and in trying to do so, it just shows up it's poor limitations.

The EU did not research this properly and in not doing so have made something to which trainers and Govts can make some money out of but robs drivers and companies.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby daz6215 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:57 pm

ROG wrote:
daz6215 wrote:its practical normally carried out in the yards during CPC training

NOTHING will beat on-the-job training done by an experienced driver which is what the industry has always done and still needs to be done - the driver cpc cannot replace this and in trying to do so, it just shows up it's poor limitations.

It is on the job training and all the cpc instructors i know are also very experienced drivers.
daz6215

Postby ROG » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:29 pm

daz6215 wrote:It is on the job training and all the cpc instructors i know are also very experienced drivers.

so it's done with their equipment at their site ? - If yes, GREAT, that's the way it should be :D
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby daz6215 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:32 pm

ROG wrote:
daz6215 wrote:It is on the job training and all the cpc instructors i know are also very experienced drivers.

so it's done with their equipment at their site ? - If yes, GREAT, that's the way it should be :D

Of course Im sure they dont all do it that way! :(
daz6215

Postby vanman » Tue May 11, 2010 9:12 pm

superskib wrote:Why is the standard of driving so poor among professionals? Tailgating; ignoring speed limits; lane discipline; lack of consideration for other drivers, cyclists etc; all woefully poor. WHY?

Playing devils advocate here...honest...

As a "professional 'white van man'" and senior IAM observer for some time, the problems I incur everyday.

My van because of its weight is restricted legally to 50 on a single carriageway 60 on a dual and 70 on the motorway.
These are supposed to be maximums ok. So when I need to get a move on someone at 45 on a single carriageway is a problem, as is 50 on a dual,. I could sit behind and wait, but I have a job to do and I do not want to take all B... day doing it. So yes I might get a bit close, not too close (IAM training) but close enough to make my presence obvious. then if necessary I will overtake safely which usually take me above my legal speed for the vehicle. On the motorway I am closing up on a slow vehicle and some happy chappie is sitting just in my blind spot (been there for some time, 1/2 mile or so) I if I have seen him/her give one flash left to encourage them to get out of the way, works sometimes but not always. Now I am in a Turbo Van in a lorry the problem is magnified 10X especially if the things governed. Professional drivers have a job to do it is not just fun or just getting for A to B.

Discuss
vanman

Postby 7db » Wed May 12, 2010 2:28 pm

If the drivers were really professional wouldn't they plan enough time for the traffic they encounter on their journey? Dropping standards and DLAC isn't really professional.

I think there's a certain amount of familiarity breeds contempt that goes on. I found I was driving worse on my commute (particularly if I was in a hurry!) than I do on unknown roads. I'm making a conscious effort not to now.
7db

Postby GJD » Wed May 12, 2010 2:39 pm

7db wrote:If the drivers were really professional wouldn't they plan enough time for the traffic they encounter on their journey?

Are professional drivers in control of how much time is planned for their journeys, or might their employer sometimes do that for them?
GJD

PreviousNext

Return to LGV, HGV, PCV Driving Forum