PCV assesment

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving and training for LGV, HGV, PCV, Minibus's etc type vehicles.

Postby L05tB0y » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:08 pm

Anyone know what kind of questions they ask on your assessment, it mentions basic arithmetic. What kind of questions do they ask.
L05tB0y

Postby ROG » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:36 pm

ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby YesMan » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:32 pm

Just for anyone who might be reading this forum, and is looking for a direct answer to the above question.

On the assessment they ask basic math questions, like addition, subtraction and multiplication. No square root or Pi based equations (thank god) :D. Basic English, sometime in the form of filling in a mock accident report based on a photo they provide. Simple multiple-choice Highway Code questions, and basic aptitude test, also in my experience based on multiple choice.

In reality, it is very simple stuff, but the company I had mine with set a short time limit, and I finished the last question just as we were told to put down our pens :shock: .

Also, you'll have a medical to check your blood pressure, eyesight, etc. Nothing too intimate. With that will come a drug test for most drugs you can think of (Cannabis, Cocaine, Amphetamine, Methamphetamine, MDMA, Sleeping Pills, etc), as well as an alcohol test.

But the real deal is the driving part of the assessment. That is where it's make or break. Really, you have to treat it as a driving test, and perform to the same standard. No kerb clipping, no speeding, full use of MSPSL, etc.To drive a bus, you have to demonstrate a high level of care, planning, attention, and responsiveness - as well as responsibility. Basically, imagine you are driving a bus full of people, because that's what you will be doing! And you'll be responsible for all of them.

Somewhere in the mix there will be an interview, with the usual questions like "Why do you want to be a bus driver?", etc.

Some companies to it in one (long, arduous and mind-numbing) day, others spread the process out over two or more days.

All the best! :arrow:
I am the YesMan, PCV and CPC license holder.
Can I take you to your destination? Yes!
YesMan

Return to LGV, HGV, PCV Driving Forum