Minibus Drivers

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving and training for LGV, HGV, PCV, Minibus's etc type vehicles.

Postby foxtrot_mike » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:12 pm

ROG wrote:
MGF wrote:You cannot take it for granted that someone with a B licence will know whether or not they also have D1 (101) entitlement. It is essential to ask people the right questions to be able to give them the correct advice.

What difference to the answer for driving a minibus on a B licence would that make?

The question was specific and a specific answer was given for it

Im sure however the OP would appreciate a wider answer where its appropriate to do so and Mentioning post 1997 licences and D1 (101) would be helpful.

Im not saying your not being helpful, it just doesnt seem difficult to mention it.
IAM Member
Cornwall
foxtrot_mike

Postby chiltern01 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:24 pm

The age old problem of who can and who can't drive the Minibus. I had a school on to me recently who had been in touch with the DVLA and the DSA. Neither would give a straight answer to their question. Both said that they should seek legal advice and it wasn't down to them to say one way of the other. This is the advice I send out when asked (avbout 5 times a day)

Pre- 1997 test passes – These will hold a licence that allows them to drive your bus providing that you have a Section 19 permit. If you had a permit then they could drive the bus without further training. We would seriously advise against this and would recommend that they either take the Council Test (Pass / Fail) or our Minibus Driver Risk Assessment to ensure they are of a standard suitable to drive such valuable cargo. They would only be allowed to drive in the UK. If you do not have a Section 19 Permit then they would not be allowed to be classed as volunteers and therefore render the D1 part of their licence insufficient for your needs.

Post 1997 test pass – This one is easy as your bus is over 3.5 tonnes. They will all have to take a D1 test.
chiltern01

Previous

Return to LGV, HGV, PCV Driving Forum