Road positioning

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving and training for LGV, HGV, PCV, Minibus's etc type vehicles.

Postby kwaka jack » Mon May 21, 2012 8:01 pm

Currently doing my C+E and being the first time I've ever driven one my road positioning coming up to round abouts is far from how I'd like it to be. I know I need to have about 3 feet between me and the kerb in order to get round it without the trailer wheels riding up the pavement.

Has anyone got a good little tips/techniques I could try out to see if I can improve, I know it'll come more in time but I really wanna get this right.
kwaka jack

Postby ROG » Tue May 22, 2012 10:31 am

Listen to your instructor because not all roundabouts will require the same positioning

Only through actually doing them will you learn when and where to take the space required

If another is in the space you want or you need to wait whilst another passes by then WAIT - DO NOT TRY AND GET INTO THE SPACE THEY HAVE LEFT YOU - You decided what space is needed so why change your mind??

early vision = early decision = early position - now others can work around you instead of you around them
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Horse » Tue May 22, 2012 2:09 pm

Find an empty car park (large office area on a Sunday?) and practice turning into bays? Take along some cardboard boxes and make obstacles to steer around.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby ROG » Tue May 22, 2012 2:12 pm

Horse wrote:Find an empty car park (large office area on a Sunday?) and practice turning into bays? Take along some cardboard boxes and make obstacles to steer around.

Nice idea but not practically possible

Need to borrow an artic ...... yeh right!!
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby kwaka jack » Tue May 22, 2012 9:43 pm

Worked it out now, after a bit more practice got it down pretty well now. I know I was doing it ass about face the first time but previous I was taking up a little bit of the right hand lane regardless weather I needed to or not.

now I'm just using my 3 foot away the kerb to get me round weather it puts me in the right hand lane or keeps me in mine. Most roads I've found it's stil taking me slightly into the right hand lane still.
kwaka jack

Postby Horse » Tue May 22, 2012 10:03 pm

ROG wrote:
Horse wrote:Find an empty car park (large office area on a Sunday?) and practice turning into bays? Take along some cardboard boxes and make obstacles to steer around.

Nice idea but not practically possible

Need to borrow an artic ...... yeh right!!

TBH I had no idea what lic. category it was. But, perhaps, the concern is over the OP not being taught it . . . ?
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby ROG » Wed May 23, 2012 8:09 am

Horse wrote:TBH I had no idea what lic. category it was.

OK, I have to say it ..... should have gone to specsavers .... :wink: :lol:
kwaka jack wrote:Currently doing my C+E
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Horse » Wed May 23, 2012 9:50 pm

ROG wrote:
Horse wrote:TBH I had no idea what lic. category it was.

OK, I have to say it ..... should have gone to specsavers .... :wink: :lol:
kwaka jack wrote:Currently doing my C+E

Exactly. That means half of f@ck all to me, and still neatly diverts attention away from whether or not the OP is actually being taught how to control a huge vehicle! By subsequent posts, he's worked out a 'fix' which - potentially - means he could pass his test and be out on the roads . . .
Horse

Postby ROG » Thu May 24, 2012 8:18 am

The instructor can tell tell tell but there comes a point where the trainee has to start making their own choices

My guess is that this is the point where the trainee was when he posted the first post

No good the trainee asking the instructor all the time because they will not be there on the test so the instructor will only intervene if safety is likely to be an issue
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby kwaka jack » Fri May 25, 2012 8:48 pm

I PASSED!!!! with only 4 minors I'm a happy boy :D :D :D :D
kwaka jack

Postby ROG » Sat May 26, 2012 6:22 pm

kwaka jack wrote:I PASSED!!!! with only 4 minors I'm a happy boy :D :D :D :D

ImageImageImageImage
Image Image