Which Minibus OP ?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving and training for LGV, HGV, PCV, Minibus's etc type vehicles.

Postby Ward69 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:09 pm

Hi, very new to this site, I joined because of the amount of reading I have done on here and elsewhere but still I am finding it hard just to get basic answers especially from the VOSA website.
So my question is, Which minibus Operators Licence do I apply for and roughly how much am I looking at ?

A few years back I got my own operators licence for running my own taxi minibus but as you know you are not allowed anymore than 8 seats. This time around I want to go for the 9-16 seaters but reading up is all very confusing.
I want to run my own minibus service with a view of school contract and the normal local airport runs etc
I was thinking of going for my taxi operators licence again, but then I came across this option >

Restricted licence

You can only apply for a restricted licence for small-scale operations. They allow you to use 1 or 2 vehicles, and neither can carry more than 8 passengers.

You can carry up to 16 passengers in either vehicle if you don’t use it as part of a passenger transport business, or you’re operating your vehicles as a sideline and not as your main job.

I am already driving buses for a living and looking to start up just a small side line business of my own.
Any help or advice would be much welcome to help point me in the right direction
Ward69

Postby michael769 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:52 pm

I would suggest that you contact the Traffic Commisioner for the area in which you operate for advice.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby Ward69 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:11 pm

michael769 wrote:I would suggest that you contact the Traffic Commisioner for the area in which you operate for advice.

But I thought all Applications are made to the traffic commissioner in Leeds ?
Ward69

Postby michael769 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:30 pm

Depends what part of the country you intend to operate in. Leeds is for the North Eastern Traffic Area.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Return to LGV, HGV, PCV Driving Forum