Hello from South East

A place for new members to introduce themselves and give some background information as to their experience with driving, likes, dislikes etc. It is advisable to post here first before posting to other forum's on the site.

Postby Jack » Mon May 07, 2012 10:07 pm

Hi

Just joined up to what looks like a great forum!

Only 17, passing DSA test fairly quickly and passed my IAM on Saturday, 7 monthsish after my 17th birthday...

Looking now at Rospa, we shall see :)

Look forward to contributing where possible!

Jack
Jack Norris
MKAM
IAM member and trainee observer
18 Y.O
Jack

Postby jameslb101 » Tue May 08, 2012 8:56 am

Well done on your purposeful start to your driving career. I did my IAM test 11 months after my L-test so you've beaten me!

With regards to Rospa, the content of the course and test criteria are virtually the same, so you're unlikely to learn as much from doing it as you did with the IAM course, although you do get a shiny certificate.

Look forward to seeing you at some ADUK days in the future, it's about time I wasn't the youngest person there. I've put a link to the calendar below;

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3643

What do you drive?
jameslb101

Postby martine » Tue May 08, 2012 11:49 am

Yes welcome Jack! Spread the word to your friends that developing your driving doesn't end once you've passed your L-test.

Don't know where you live but I can't recommend the ADUK driving days enough - all sorts of people attend with a wide range of experience but united in one thing: a desire to improve by driving with others - they're free and good fun too!
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Jack » Tue May 08, 2012 12:59 pm

Hi

Thanks for the welcomes guys

I'll have to look at aduk, sound good!

I'm based near Milton Keynes and am a member of MKAM

Drive a corsa d 1.2, hopefully changed soon, you?
Jack Norris
MKAM
18 Y.O
Jack

Postby ROG » Tue May 08, 2012 1:07 pm

Jack wrote:Only 17, passing DSA test fairly quickly and passed my IAM on Saturday, 7 monthsish after my 17th birthday...

WELCOME and IMPRESSIVE :D :D :D

I have assisted over 100 associates during the past 14 years but only 4 were like you in terms of age and experience
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby jameslb101 » Tue May 08, 2012 5:47 pm

Jack wrote:Drive a corsa d 1.2, hopefully changed soon, you?

Volvo S60 T5.

If I were you (and I was two years ago!) I'd keep the cheapest thing to insure for a while. After that you'll have two years no claims (touch wood) then you'll be able to get insured on a 'proper' car.

In my case I paid £2k to insure a classic mini (63bhp) in my first year's driving. Two years on I pay substantially less to insure a 250bhp turbo nutter car.
jameslb101

Postby Jack » Tue May 08, 2012 11:05 pm

ROG wrote:
Jack wrote:Only 17, passing DSA test fairly quickly and passed my IAM on Saturday, 7 monthsish after my 17th birthday...

WELCOME and IMPRESSIVE :D :D :D

I have assisted over 100 associates during the past 14 years but only 4 were like you in terms of age and experience

Thanks Rog!

jameslb101 wrote:
Jack wrote:Drive a corsa d 1.2, hopefully changed soon, you?

Volvo S60 T5.

If I were you (and I was two years ago!) I'd keep the cheapest thing to insure for a while. After that you'll have two years no claims (touch wood) then you'll be able to get insured on a 'proper' car.

In my case I paid £2k to insure a classic mini (63bhp) in my first year's driving. Two years on I pay substantially less to insure a 250bhp turbo nutter car.

Yes, that is true. I brought my 'd' in feb before i could drive and admiral gave me a years no claims Feb just gone although i had only been 17 just over half a year.

Who are you currently insured with, did you mention your driving achievements?
Jack Norris
MKAM
18 Y.O
Jack

Postby kfae8959 » Tue May 08, 2012 11:39 pm

Hi Jack! Milton Keynes isn't that far from me - I'm in Hertfordshire, and always happy to punt up your way for a drive if you feel like it.

David
"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"
kfae8959

Postby jameslb101 » Tue May 08, 2012 11:40 pm

Jack wrote:Yes, that is true. I brought my 'd' in feb before i could drive and admiral gave me a years no claims Feb just gone although i had only been 17 just over half a year.

How did that work?

Jack wrote:Who are you currently insured with, did you mention your driving achievements?

I'm with elephant and yes, I did tell them I had IAM. As far as I can remember that gave me about a £50 discount but I didn't do IAM for that reason. Having said that, given that the Skill for Life cost me the square root of zilch, any discount is like having free money thrown at me!
jameslb101

Postby waremark » Wed May 09, 2012 12:16 am

Very impressive achievement, and am so delighted that you young folk realised that it would be useful and fun to improve your driving.
waremark

Postby Jack » Wed May 09, 2012 11:21 pm

kfae8959 wrote:Hi Jack! Milton Keynes isn't that far from me - I'm in Hertfordshire, and always happy to punt up your way for a drive if you feel like it.

David

I have family in Hertfordshire, so i am sure we can arrange something at somepoint!

jameslb101 wrote:
Jack wrote:Yes, that is true. I brought my 'd' in feb before i could drive and admiral gave me a years no claims Feb just gone although i had only been 17 just over half a year.

How did that work?

Jack wrote:Who are you currently insured with, did you mention your driving achievements?

I'm with elephant and yes, I did tell them I had IAM. As far as I can remember that gave me about a £50 discount but I didn't do IAM for that reason. Having said that, given that the Skill for Life cost me the square root of zilch, any discount is like having free money thrown at me!

Not sure how that worked, it was a multi car policy and they offered it, i didnt think they would allow me to take it to other companies but they did and the current company accepted it no probs!

Need to ring my current insurer and see if IAM pass changes anything

Waremark - Thanks for the comment!
Jack Norris
MKAM
18 Y.O
Jack

Return to Introductions