Hello from Newcastle

A place for new members to introduce themselves and give some background information as to their experience with driving, likes, dislikes etc. It is advisable to post here first before posting to other forum's on the site.

Postby Blueiain » Sun May 20, 2012 10:23 pm

Hello folks
I'm Iain from the Toon, I've found this forum on a web search, well from having a look around I'm very intreseted, I want to progress my driving skills I've been thinking about this for around 20 years and well since I've got some time now as I only work 3 days a week, I can now comit to spending some time learning to drive more defensively, anyway a bit about me, I'm a staff nurse 7 years, prior to this I was a bus driver and HGV driver, I still do some agency work, I'm unsure who to contact about learning more, should I go with IAM or RoSPA, I look forward to joining in on some discussions on here if that's ok.

Thanks for reading

Iain
Blueiain

Postby martine » Sun May 20, 2012 10:55 pm

Hi Iain and welcome!

I expect as an HGV driver your observation is pretty good but of course it can always be better.

Both the IAM and ROSPA offer training for the advanced test by local groups. There are more differences between groups than there is between the IAM and ROSPA so it's probably best to find a local group to you and go along to a meeting, have a chat with people there and decide if you like what you hear.

The IAM is much larger than ROSPA but all that means is there is likely to be an IAM group more local to you and in no way reflects standards etc. ROSPA offer cheaper training than the IAM but I wouldn't let that influence you - find a group that you like with a decent waiting list and go for it...I'm sure you'll enjoy it and find it interesting.

If you have any questions about driving or about IAM or ROSPA etc please ask - there is a wealth of experience here from advanced driving 'newbies' to seasoned old hands like Gareth (sorry Gareth that was a cheap snipe!).
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby ROG » Mon May 21, 2012 10:41 am

WELCOME :D

I have had many LGV associates who did the ir car and in some cases their LGV advanced with the IAM

They all passed very easily and in double quick time because of the reason that thew poster before stated - great observations and planning - bit hard not to have that being a LGV or PCV driver unless you want to cause carnage !!
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Return to Introductions