A new recruit!

A place for new members to introduce themselves and give some background information as to their experience with driving, likes, dislikes etc. It is advisable to post here first before posting to other forum's on the site.

Postby f3racer » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:15 pm

Hi all!
I've joined this forum with some trepidation as I'm planning on embarking upon an attempt to become an advanced driver in the near future! I haven't yet joined a local group or even decided between IAM or Rospa, but I'm sure I'll find much advice on here.
I'll keep you posted - in the meantime, I'll look forward to joining in the banter on the forums.
Cheers!
f3racer

Postby Gareth » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:28 pm

Welcome!

f3racer wrote:I haven't yet [...] decided between IAM or Rospa

Whichever is closest or more convenient, unless you are lucky enough to have a choice.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby martine » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:44 pm

Welcome f3racer! If you give us an idea of your whereabouts I expect someone here can offer advice about the 'best' local IAM or ROSPA group to make contact with.

One thing...you'll probably find that taking and passing the Advanced test is just the start of a never ending journey to becoming a better driver...
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby jameslb101 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:17 pm

Hi f3racer

One question: are you an F3 racer?

J
jameslb101

Postby f3racer » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:35 pm

Hi there,

I'm based near Loughborough in Leicestershire. Any local knowledge of the groups in this area would be much appreciated.

James, I did race in F3, but unfortunately never managed to progress beyond there, and am a bit old for it now!
f3racer

Postby dombooth » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:45 pm

f3racer wrote:Hi there,

I'm based near Loughborough in Leicestershire. Any local knowledge of the groups in this area would be much appreciated.

James, I did race in F3, but unfortunately never managed to progress beyond there, and am a bit old for it now!

Welcome to the forum. :)

The nearest IAM groups to you I think would be;

Derby - http://www.iam.org.uk/groups/iam-groups ... /detail/59
or
Leicester - http://www.iam.org.uk/groups/iam-groups ... detail/110

Dom
Last edited by dombooth on Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby Gareth » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:50 pm

ROG will probably be along shortly - I believe he's a member of the Leicester IAM group.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby dombooth » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:53 pm

Corrected. :lol: Serves me right for building a PC at the same time. :lol:

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby jameslb101 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:54 pm

dombooth wrote:Corrected. :lol: Serves me right for building a PC at the same time. :lol:

Dom

Ban this man for editing his post.

(this is a joke btw) :wink:
jameslb101

Postby dombooth » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:57 pm

That was a useful edit, if I couldn't have edited it I would've asked a Mod to do it for me. :)

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

dombooth

Postby ROG » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:33 pm

f3racer wrote:Hi there,

Gareth wrote:ROG will probably be along shortly - I believe he's a member of the Leicester IAM group.

Not only a member but a senior obs and my catchment area is ..... LOUGHBOROUGH

Runs start from my house which is close to Walkers crisps LE4

Gonna PM you with my contact number
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby jcochrane » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:27 pm

Firstly welcome. F3racer. Now that ain't cheap. To be competitive must be looking at around £400,000 a season. :shock: You're too modest F3 stepping stone to either F2 or F1 test. It's not unheard of from F3 to get an F1 race seat. Congratulations in getting so far it's a very tough sport to raise to the level you did.

It's quite possible that we might have met without knowing each other. I've been an MSA Scrutineer for 30 odd years. There is another poster on here from Scotland who is also a Scrutineer. I expect he'll pop up some time to say Hi.

Enjoy your time on here and do recommend getting onto ADUK drive days if you can.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby f3racer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:15 pm

Thanks all. You're right, it's not teh cheapest sports in thh world and you do need to get lucky with sponsorship to make it work.

Rog, thanks for the PM. I'll get on to it soon...
f3racer

Postby Renny » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:09 pm

jcochrane wrote:It's quite possible that we might have met without knowing each other. I've been an MSA Scrutineer for 30 odd years. There is another poster on here from Scotland who is also a Scrutineer. I expect he'll pop up some time to say Hi.

You kept that quiet!

Welcome F3Racer. I hide up at Knockhill, though ocassionally get invited to Silverstone if they are desperate :lol:
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby jcochrane » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:35 pm

Renny wrote:
jcochrane wrote:It's quite possible that we might have met without knowing each other. I've been an MSA Scrutineer for 30 odd years. There is another poster on here from Scotland who is also a Scrutineer. I expect he'll pop up some time to say Hi.

You kept that quiet!

Welcome F3Racer. I hide up at Knockhill, though ocassionally get invited to Silverstone if they are desperate :lol:

I guessed you would be based at Knockhill. Wonderful circuit and views in good weather but bleak in bad. If you were around in the days of the Eurocar Package, Sonny Howards brainchild, big V8's V6's, racing pickups and legend racing cars, all painted up in American Nascar style, then we would have met. Myself and another were the two Eligibility Scrutineers assigned to the package.

The Scrutineering team up there always made us very welcome and were a great help. Very treasured memories for me were those trips to Knockhill.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Return to Introductions