Ahoy!

A place for new members to introduce themselves and give some background information as to their experience with driving, likes, dislikes etc. It is advisable to post here first before posting to other forum's on the site.

Postby DunneUK » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:19 pm

Hello All,

James from Bristol, joined the forum today. Associate IAM Bristol, with a few Observers sessions done. Been on a little hiatus for the last couple of months getting a new job and wedding out of the way; looking forward to getting my teeth back into in when back from honeymoon.

I drive a 2.0l Audi A3 Sportback, 63 plate.

I've been interested in starting the Advanced Driving journey for a little while, but only just got around to it. Providing all goes well, I'm certainly interested in taking it further with IAM.

Finally, I was a Police Special Constable (volunteer Police Officer) for a few years, finishing my time as a Roads Policing Special (white cap and all...), but unfortunately had to move on due to day job commitments. I wasn't able to undertake the Response driving course before I left, but being crewed with some excellent officers certainly stoked my interest in furthering my own 'civvy' driving.

I look forward to seeing what ADUK has to offer.

J
DunneUK

Postby MrToad » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:55 pm

Hello, and welcome to ADUK. You'll find there's quite a lot of overlap between Bristol IAM and ADUK members, second only perhaps to the East Surrey contingent.

The forum is a great source of advice, and there should also be plenty of people available locally to drive with if you decide to take things further.

When the driving season kicks off again next year I'll be co-organising at least one driving day in the area - keep an eye on the 'Driver Network' forum for updates.
Do less, better.
MrToad

Postby Horse » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:25 pm

DunneUK wrote: Finally, I was a Police Special Constable (volunteer Police Officer) for a few years, finishing my time as a Roads Policing Special (white cap and all...), but unfortunately had to move on due to day job commitments. I wasn't able to undertake the Response driving course before I left,

Blimey - I didn't know 'traffic' was an option for specials! Although I used to know someone who, 20 or 30 years ago, was a special but was a police motorcyclist!

Welcome! :)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby skodatezzer » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:42 pm

Hello and welcome from one of the above-mentioned East Surrey contingent! I'd reinforce Mr Toad's comments. You'll find lots of lively discussion on here, (with varying degrees of seriousness and sense :D ), but the Driving Days are a must! Great roads, good company and a rich learning environment. keep an eye on the Driver Network and hope to meet you "in the flesh" when the new season kicks off.
IAM National Observer. Chair, E. Surrey IAM.
skodatezzer

Postby Mike H » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:10 pm

Hi also, from another Bristol member :)

Lots of useful advice and banter on the site and, as above, do look out for the Driving Days next year. (I'm only sorry I didn't start these earlier!)
IAM; RoADAR
Mike H

Postby fengpo » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:04 pm

Hi James, welcome nice choice of car. I've got an A1.

Pretty cool you can go in the police road unit as a volunteer. I'd give my right arm to be a response driver, would do the job volunterialy no problem!
fengpo

Return to Introductions