Hello from Bristol

A place for new members to introduce themselves and give some background information as to their experience with driving, likes, dislikes etc. It is advisable to post here first before posting to other forum's on the site.

Postby RedTurtle » Wed May 06, 2015 1:39 pm

Hi All,

I've recently signed up to the Bristol IAM course and had my first observed drive which I thoroughly enjoyed. My observer recommended this site due to the wealth of information, so very much looking forward to getting stuck in!

If anyone knows of any good routes to drive around in North Bristol to practice the IAM way of driving I would very much appreciate it, my local road knowledge doesn't extend very far unfortunately, though I do get lots of practice in the Bristol rush hour conditions.
RedTurtle

Postby Mike H » Wed May 06, 2015 1:59 pm

Hi and welcome to ADUK from another Bristol IAM member.

(Just wondering if I recognise you from another car forum perhaps?)
IAM; RoADAR
Mike H

Postby RedTurtle » Wed May 06, 2015 3:53 pm

It's possible, I'm also on ASN.
RedTurtle

Postby MrToad » Wed May 06, 2015 4:54 pm

Hello from another Bristol Observer. The group has been mentioning ADUK to Associates for a while now, and you'll find quite a few members here with Bristol connections.

Bristol and South Gloucestershire councils are very keen on reducing speed limits, meaning that many roads in the area now have artificially low limits. There are a few they've overlooked so far though - if you can get to the 3-in-a-car on the 16th there are some very good routes from Old Sodbury.

Alternatively: South Wales.
Do less, better.
MrToad

Postby RedTurtle » Wed May 06, 2015 7:43 pm

Hi MrToad!
Ah thats good, it makes sense to get as many people on ADUK as possible, means we can all connect and learn from each other, and i've plenty to learn!

Yes I've noticed the lowering of the speed limits, spend 90% of my faily commute at 20, seems to work traffic seems to flow nicely.

I had a drive with my observer plenty of country lanes, hoping to pick up a few routes as time goes on which are very much like the one I did on my first drive so I can practice the breaking and accelerating techniques as well as setting the steering.

I'm contemplating the South Wales drive need to check with the girlfriend see if there are any events planned that I don't know about yet.
Would that sort of event (South Wales) be good for an new IAM associate? Obviously there is the whole opportunity to drive these roads and practice what I've been picking up from my observer but is it possible to learn what others are doing differently / spot the mistakes i'm making?

The 3 in a car I find very daunting being so new to this i've so much to learn and whilst I appreciate the feedback on my driving as it helps improve my driving, thats a lot of people judging me!

I'm very much looking forward to my next drive with my observer!
RedTurtle

Postby akirk » Wed May 06, 2015 7:55 pm

RedTurtle wrote:The 3 in a car I find very daunting being so new to this i've so much to learn and whilst I appreciate the feedback on my driving as it helps improve my driving, thats a lot of people judging me!

don't be scared of it - think of it not as judging, but as constructive observations... it can be very helpful

Alasdair
akirk

Postby Gareth » Wed May 06, 2015 8:13 pm

RedTurtle wrote:Would that sort of event (South Wales) be good for an new IAM associate?

If you are paired with people who understand that you are working towards the IAM test and who have helped others along that path, then you're likely to get hints and tips that might help to accelerate your progress. If you decide to take part, make sure the organiser knows your aims.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Mike H » Wed May 06, 2015 9:51 pm

RedTurtle wrote:It's possible, I'm also on ASN.

Yes, it's ASN that I'm on also :)

And Mr Toad speaks sense! Don't be daunted, but get yourself along to one of the many Bristol 3-in-a-car events planned for this year. If the organiser is aware of your objectives and that you are working towards the test you'll be paired appropriately and stand to gain useful inputs from a variety other Observers and IAM-ers. On the other hand, then ADUK Brecon day should give you access to an even broader wealth of experience...
IAM; RoADAR
Mike H

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed May 06, 2015 9:55 pm

So for those of us who've never heard of it, what's ASN?

Welcome RedTurtle, btw. Hope to see you in Brecon maybe.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby akirk » Wed May 06, 2015 10:34 pm

audi-sport.net ;)

Alasdair
akirk

Postby RedTurtle » Fri May 08, 2015 10:54 am

Thanks for all the replies everyone, its very encouraging.

I'm contemplating the Brecon day, I was also intending on going to the 3 in a car, but as my girlfriend has once again reminded me on the 16th my attendance is mandatory for some event with her friends so that is written off unfortunately, hopefully I can make the next one!
RedTurtle

Return to Introductions