New member - not yet passed an advanced test.

A place for new members to introduce themselves and give some background information as to their experience with driving, likes, dislikes etc. It is advisable to post here first before posting to other forum's on the site.

Postby akirk » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:08 pm

jwatkins wrote:Thanks for the further replies. In answer to someone's question, I'm in Cheltenham.

If you want to go for a drive at some point - I am just the other side of Cirencester - happy to do so...

Alasdair
akirk

Postby skodatezzer » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:10 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote: the Yeti has a front offside tyre which is close to the limit, and I didn't want to use the car any more than essential.

I've been bugging my dad to change the tyre, he doesn't take much notice :roll:

M'm, how many miles on that tyre, and is it just the one that's wearing? Might be worth making sure there's nothing amiss with wheel alignment / steering geometry (can't spell that :shock: ) when you get the tyre changed. It's normally the NSF that's out of kilter, as that's the one that usually clouts the kerb!! :mrgreen:
IAM National Observer. Chair, E. Surrey IAM.
skodatezzer

Postby martine » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:39 pm

StressedDave wrote:Save for the staff examiners, the IAM doesn't have instructors. They have observers who do just that - observe what you're doing and give friendly (or unfriendly) advice.

ADIs are a mixed breed. The vast majority instruct only up to DVSA pass standard rather than anything beyond. It may be difficult to find one who has the skills and experience (away from the fleet instructors like RobC) to do what you want to do. The only register I could find was at http://www.airso.org.uk/fleet.htm . There appear to be some in Cheltenham... might be worth a punt.

Oi! I'm fleet qualified as well but I agree most instructors have taken no further training above the ADI tests.

Decent instructors will charge more than £20/hour - even when teaching learners.

Janet: I would just go for the IAM course...
http://www.iam.org.uk/iam-groups/iam-groups-directory/detail/detail/85
...is probably you're nearest.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:21 pm

Or you could opt for the Rospa course! :mrgreen:

Gloucester group is a thriving and successful group who hold their meetings in Cheltenham, as it happens.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby martine » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:43 pm

Spoilt for choice it seems!
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby TripleS » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:53 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Well, I joined up when I wasn't even old enough to drive, I was 16, and have been a full licence holder for only 5 months, but I've not been kicked off the forum (yet :twisted:) for not being an advanced driver! :mrgreen:

Heh, I haven't yet been kicked out either. Any minute now, though...... :lol:

Edit: Ah sorry; I meant to add a warm welcome to jwatkins. Too busy clowning - as usual. :roll:
TripleS

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:27 pm

skodatezzer wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote: the Yeti has a front offside tyre which is close to the limit, and I didn't want to use the car any more than essential.

M'm, how many miles on that tyre, and is it just the one that's wearing? Might be worth making sure there's nothing amiss with wheel alignment / steering geometry (can't spell that :shock: ) when you get the tyre changed. It's normally the NSF that's out of kilter, as that's the one that usually clouts the kerb!! :mrgreen:

I've no clue, but I think that particular tyre has worn a bit more than the others.

But at the same time, I think it's the only tyre on the car that was on the car when we purchased it, we replaced the rear tyres at the same time about 30k miles, and replaced the nearside front a few hundred miles later due to a puncture, and it was pretty low anyway, and now the front offside is super low, and certainly needs changing.
TheInsanity1234

Postby MGF » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:58 pm

martine wrote:...I would just go for the IAM course...

Did I miss the OP using their name?
MGF

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:02 pm

I imagined some PMs had been exchanged, and then components of them made public ...
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Gareth » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:08 pm

I tend to think what is discussed in a PM should stay in the PM ... :P
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:38 pm

Yep, me too.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby skodatezzer » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:50 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
skodatezzer wrote:

I've no clue, but I think that particular tyre has worn a bit more than the others.

But at the same time, I think it's the only tyre on the car that was on the car when we purchased it, we replaced the rear tyres at the same time about 30k miles, and replaced the nearside front a few hundred miles later due to a puncture, and it was pretty low anyway, and now the front offside is super low, and certainly needs changing.

Ah, my misunderstanding. I had the idea you'd bought the Yeti new.
IAM National Observer. Chair, E. Surrey IAM.
skodatezzer

Postby Garrison » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:52 pm

Edit then?
Garrison

Postby jwatkins » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:20 am

MGF wrote:
martine wrote:...I would just go for the IAM course...

Did I miss the OP using their name?

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I imagined some PMs had been exchanged, and then components of them made public ...

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Yep, me too.

No private messages have been exchanged. Martin will have seen my name because I responded to his verification email prior to my account being activated.
jwatkins

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:21 pm

As long as you're happy :D Have you decided on a course yet? (see what I did there...)
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Previous

Return to Introductions