New Chris Gilbert DVDs

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby bluebox_rob » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:09 pm

I got a mail this morning letting me know that Chris Gilbert is releasing a couple of new DVDs soon:
Ultimate Driving Craft 2 Day & Night DVD (due September)
http://www.driving4tomorrow.com/profess ... ourse.html

and Ultimate Driving Craft - Europe (Driving on the right) coming later in the year.

I enjoyed the first 'Ultimate Driving Craft' installment, so am looking forward to these as well.
bluebox_rob

Postby slippeddisc » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:50 pm

Ditto re: the e-mail.

From the pictures on the website, I am definitely looking forward to this!

I would love to have a demo drive from the man himself, but I don't think he does that any more (anyone confirm?!) :( Perhaps he will read this and take pity on me and let me become his padwan or something.... ;)
slippeddisc

Postby jbsportstech » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:40 pm

He doesnt do demo drives but does do group talks. Did one for southwest/south devon roadar and I was lucky enough to attend. He is in touch with my friend nigel albright. He has loads of police driver footage but the high speed stuff he keeps for selected drivers only.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby Kevin » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:04 pm

Thanks for posting the link. If the first DVD is anything to go by, the next one will be well worth buying.
Kevin

Postby faboka » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:14 am

Thanks for the link. Think I'll invest :)
John
faboka

Postby Kevin » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:44 pm

My copy of Ultimate Driving Craft 2 Day & Night arrived in the post today, so that's my evening's entertainment sorted. :D
Kevin

Postby oxtondriver » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:07 pm

Mine Arriveds this morning.
Watched half hour before work tonight and what I saw of it, it was pretty impressive. Cant wait to sit and watch it all the way through.

Kris
IAM 22/09/2008 (Wirral Group)
Rospa Gold 14/01/2014 (Merseyside Group).
Ford Focus ST
oxtondriver

Postby Kevin » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:30 pm

I could only watch disc 2, Night driving, as disc 1 was spat out of my DVD player. I tried it in my computer, but it made a clattering noise. When I took the disc out I noticed that it was slightly warped and two layers of the disc have started to separate. :( A shame, but I'll have to send it back for a replacement.

Sent mine back and had it replaced the next day and this one played without problem. I've already posted about my experience with reporting the fault to Chris in another section on this site and comending him on his response, but I will update this post as well as it ought to feature here. Just to recap, I emailed driving4tomorrow at about 11pm to enquire about returning the disc and got a reply from Chris just before midnight saying that he would send me a replacement immediately and asking me to return the faulty disc. He even refunded me £5 for the inconvenience, which I hadn't expected. The new discs arrived by the next post. I can't praise Chris's customer service level highly enough. I've enjoyed watching both discs very much and I will be watching them many times again. The fault with my disc was a one-in-a-million occurrance, so I'm sure that no one else will have the same problem. I can't wait for Chris's next production. :D
Last edited by Kevin on Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin

Postby fungus » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:47 pm

Mine arrived today. Have watched disc 1. Interestingly Chris mentions BGOL when turning from a major to a minor road. My interpretation was that he actually appeared to approved of it.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby ScoobyChris » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:58 pm

fungus wrote:Mine arrived today. Have watched disc 1. Interestingly Chris mentions BGOL when turning from a major to a minor road. My interpretation was that he actually appeared to approved of it.

I attended one of Chris' talks and he was asked about his opinion on separation. From what I recall, he said he doesn't see any problem with BGOL and has never consciously separated. Quite surprising considering his input into Roadcraft!

Got my DVDs yesterday but just trying to find some time to watch it :lol:

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby jbsportstech » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:17 am

From my discussion with chris reference BGOL he said it originated back in the early days of roadcraft when the police had 1930-40's cars which had old cable drum brakes and for safety reasons you needed to seperate braking from other manouvers.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby TripleS » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:48 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:
fungus wrote:Mine arrived today. Have watched disc 1. Interestingly Chris mentions BGOL when turning from a major to a minor road. My interpretation was that he actually appeared to approved of it.

I attended one of Chris' talks and he was asked about his opinion on separation. From what I recall, he said he doesn't see any problem with BGOL and has never consciously separated. Quite surprising considering his input into Roadcraft!
Chris

That's perfectly plausible to me. As I see it the effect of separation is to prompt you to get the speed down earlier (and therefore further from the hazard) than you might otherwise do. That's all well and good, but I believe the requirement for separation causes you to be slower than you would be if you allowed yourself to overlap. If BGOL can be used without sacrificing safety, I don't see why it can't be used more widely.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby vonhosen » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:15 pm

TripleS wrote:
ScoobyChris wrote:

Chris

That's perfectly plausible to me. As I see it the effect of separation is to prompt you to get the speed down earlier (and therefore further from the hazard) than you might otherwise do. That's all well and good, but I believe the requirement for separation causes you to be slower than you would be if you allowed yourself to overlap. If BGOL can be used without sacrificing safety, I don't see why it can't be used more widely.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

It is used widely isn't it ?

(The origin being that with cable brakes vehicles wouldn't pull up quite as straight as they do now so it was preferable to have both hands on the wheel whilst braking).
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby TripleS » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:19 pm

vonhosen wrote:
TripleS wrote:As I see it the effect of separation is to prompt you to get the speed down earlier (and therefore further from the hazard) than you might otherwise do. That's all well and good, but I believe the requirement for separation causes you to be slower than you would be if you allowed yourself to overlap. If BGOL can be used without sacrificing safety, I don't see why it can't be used more widely.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

It is used widely isn't it ?

(The origin being that with cable brakes vehicles wouldn't pull up quite as straight as they do now so it was preferable to have both hands on the wheel whilst braking).

Yes, I expect it is used widely by normal drivers. What I was thinking was that it would be better if the AD community were to acknowledge that it can legitimately be used more widely.

As for cable brakes, they went out before my time; although on reflection I do seem to remember driving an old Austin 7 on one occasion, and I expect that had cable brakes. We got along OK. You can get along OK with most things if you treat 'em right.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby devonutopia » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:11 pm

Chris Gilbert is coming to my groups AGM next month and I will be aiming to get one of these new DVDs. I understand it is around £25 to buy, but well worth it. Looking forward to hearing what he has to say as he comes across to other members in my group as a bit of a God like figure. :D
Jason - RoSPA advanced driver training about to start!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELWqeeXvAAs 275bhp dyno run video of my car. 300 is in reach!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R5c496IG1Q Skoda Fabia 2260vk in-car acceleration video!
devonutopia

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum