Keep Straight on to the end of the road

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby OldenBill » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:39 pm

I passed the IAM test forty years ago and although no longer a member, I continue to drive defensively to the best of my ability. Since that time, changes in the volume of traffic, the design of roads and driving techniques have made the constant updating one’s knowledge and skills essential.

Having read many of the helpful post and threads on this website, I feel sure your forums will prove invaluable to me………… and oh! please forgive if my question has already been done to death in other threads.

When I first drove, the Highway Code stated “there are no rights of way in general at roundabouts”. Over the years successive revisions chopped and changed the rules and you will all know the current procedures.

Not so long ago the advice for “going straight on” on a dual carriage encouraged the use of both lanes and this is current practice in most parts of the UK, particularly in congested traffic. However, I notice that the diagram in the latest 2007? Highway Code only arrows the nearside lane and the closest it gets to approval of the former procedure is its reference to the use of “the appropriate lane”.

I would really appreciate hearing from members with their views on this specific point and in particular, if they do continue to use the offside lane, how do they deal with the situation where “straight on” is hidden by the roundabout itself and the road smartly becomes a single carriageway. So far as I am aware, there is no road sign or way of reading the road that warns of this situation.

I look forward to hearing from some of you. :)

Olden.
OldenBill

Postby vonhosen » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:08 pm

Nowt wrong with merge in turn.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby fungus » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:53 pm

I know exactly what you mean about the Highway Codes advice when going ahead. The DSAs Driving the Essential Skills used to show a diagram where both lanes were used, the advice being to use the left hand lane when going ahead unless for instance, it's blocked, or lane markings should dictate otherwise. If using the RH lane keep to that lane throughout the roundabout. However we have a roundabout near Bournemouth where you approach in the RH lane to go ahead.Then as you pass the first exit you are taken into the LH lane. Untill a few months ago it was RH lane throughout, which was better.

Another feature that's appearing, is the spiral roundabout, where, when taking for instance, the last exit, your lane drifts from the centre of the roundabout outwards as you progress around, ending up inthe LH lane just before you exit.

As far as road signs are concerned. The Bear Cross roundabout on the A348 ends a dual carriageway, the road continuing afterwards as single carriageway. If you approach the roundabout from the single carriageway side, the road sign indicates that when going ahead you will be entering a dual carriageway, by showing two lines on the opposite side of the roundabout.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby hir » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:55 pm

OldenBill wrote:

I would really appreciate hearing from members with their views on this specific point and in particular, if they do continue to use the offside lane, how do they deal with the situation where “straight on” is hidden by the roundabout itself and the road smartly becomes a single carriageway.

In this situation I usually take the lane of least resistance on entry to the roundabout and if I'm stymied on the exit, for whatever reason, I simply go round again and make sure that I'm in the correct lane for the exit the second time round. With reasonably good planning on the entry to the roundabout it is very rare that I need to go round again - the important point though is that I'm prepared to do so. This is just another variation on - "creating a plan that is based on what can be seen, what can't be seen and what might reasonably be expected to happen".
hir

Postby GJD » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:57 am

fungus wrote:I know exactly what you mean about the Highway Codes advice when going ahead. The DSAs Driving the Essential Skills used to show a diagram where both lanes were used, the advice being to use the left hand lane when going ahead unless for instance, it's blocked, or lane markings should dictate otherwise. If using the RH lane keep to that lane throughout the roundabout. However we have a roundabout near Bournemouth where you approach in the RH lane to go ahead.Then as you pass the first exit you are taken into the LH lane. Untill a few months ago it was RH lane throughout, which was better.

Another feature that's appearing, is the spiral roundabout, where, when taking for instance, the last exit, your lane drifts from the centre of the roundabout outwards as you progress around, ending up inthe LH lane just before you exit.

As far as road signs are concerned. The Bear Cross roundabout on the A348 ends a dual carriageway, the road continuing afterwards as single carriageway. If you approach the roundabout from the single carriageway side, the road sign indicates that when going ahead you will be entering a dual carriageway, by showing two lines on the opposite side of the roundabout.

But no Dual Carriageway Ends sign before the roundabout for traffic travelling the other way? (e.g. like this on the A428 at Caxton Giblet).

Seems a very simple and obvious solution to the problem and I don't know why it's not used more often.
GJD

Postby OldenBill » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:37 am

Thanks for your various comments from which I was glad to learn that formal advice on this point is as fluid as I feared. Interestingly if you google "Highway Code" you get a pdf file of the Northern Ireland Code where the various options are set out quite differently like a clock.............please don't press me into non-PC !! :roll:

The end of dual carriageway sign is certainly an answer but as GJD implies not often used, especially where fast traffic is not involved.

I do adopt the "go round again" procedure when I have no other option but it does involve some unnecessary late thinking and unplanned signaling. However, I feel it is infinitely safer than "merge in turn" (which the "bloody-minded" seem to regard as "pushing in", risking a nearside crunch likely to be attributed to poor lane discipline by the "intruder" who was happily and previously using the outside lane. :oops:

Helpful stuff.

Olden. :)
OldenBill

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:56 am

The thickness of the lines on the roundabout sign should tell you if the D/C is changing to S/C.

I'm struggling to find an example just now, but have a look on google.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby GJD » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:06 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:The thickness of the lines on the roundabout sign should tell you if the D/C is changing to S/C.

I'm struggling to find an example just now, but have a look on google.

I reversed a couple of hundred yards back up the A428 and found this on the approach to my previously-posted roundabout. All look the same thickness to me :(
GJD

Postby 7db » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:15 pm

OldenBill wrote:I do adopt the "go round again" procedure when I have no other option...I feel it is infinitely safer than "merge in turn" (which the "bloody-minded" seem to regard as "pushing in"

Seek cooperation, and if none is forthcoming seek safety. I think you've answered your own question.
7db

Postby gfoot » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:18 pm

Just because it's DC it doesn't mean you have multiple exit lanes, and vice versa. Though I admit it's a pretty good clue.

It reminds me of stretches of road where the traffic divides into three lanes at traffic lights, with the left lane filtering off, leaving two "ahead" lanes that still have to merge back into one after the lights. Often there's no particular problem with having a long queue of traffic, so I don't really see why they split into three lanes in the first place. I expect there is a good reason, and they've done many studies on it etc, but on the face of things it seems misleading.

Maybe it's all a good reminder, though, that excessive dependence on rules dictating exactly how we should behave on the roads leads to poor observation and adaptability, and we need to treat these rules with care. Regardless of what the signs say, it's possible somebody is doing something else, and we need to be prepared to deal with it. Things like vagueness of lane discipline and the impossibility of precise signalling in some cases mean roundabouts do require a level of courtesy and understanding of other road users' intentions.
gfoot

Postby Gareth » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:11 pm

gfoot wrote:Often there's no particular problem with having a long queue of traffic, so I don't really see why they split into three lanes in the first place. I expect there is a good reason, and they've done many studies on it etc, but on the face of things it seems misleading.

I wonder if it's because if there is a long single lane queue then drivers further back will not see the lights changing and instead be relying on seeing movement ahead, which may lead to larger gaps between vehicles and therefore fewer crossing the junction during the green phase.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby 7db » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:15 pm

In general, Dave's maxim has roundabouts pretty much covered. I need a good reason to break it.
7db

Postby kfae8959 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:13 pm

GJD wrote:Caxton Giblet

A place of gravy danger...
"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"
kfae8959

Postby PeterE » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:22 am

gfoot wrote:It reminds me of stretches of road where the traffic divides into three lanes at traffic lights, with the left lane filtering off, leaving two "ahead" lanes that still have to merge back into one after the lights. Often there's no particular problem with having a long queue of traffic, so I don't really see why they split into three lanes in the first place. I expect there is a good reason, and they've done many studies on it etc, but on the face of things it seems misleading.

The reason for this is to maximise capacity through the junction at busy times. In general the capacity of a road network is determined not by the capacity of link sections but by the amount of traffic that can pass through junctions. Once past the junction, the two lanes of traffic sort themselves out into one and flow reasonably freely. And I doubt whether those held up in a long queue of traffic regard it as being "no problem" :roll:

On the original point, don't forget that the vast majority of the time people are driving along roads that are already familiar to them, so will know whether or not the DC continues on the other side of the roundabout. If you're not sure, then obviously it may make sense to keep in the left-hand lane just to be on the safe side.
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby TripleS » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:30 am

kfae8959 wrote:
GJD wrote:Caxton Giblet

A place of gravy danger...

Oi, I do the funnies round 'ere. :P

That's a good one though. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum