IAM Masters v RoSPA

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby ROG » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:49 pm

jont wrote:
michael769 wrote:As far as I know it does not offer you any extra "rights" other than bragging ones.

Indeed, but does anyone know if it gains you indefinite membership of the IAM (assuming you pay subs) in the way of normal SfL? In which case the main benefit is probably future insurance discounts :lol:

IAM surety ins is only for current paid up members
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby jcochrane » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:49 pm

Jon, I now appear on the IAM Masters Register but I am not aware of any "extras".

In the past I took a ROSPA test with a Gold pass and also have been assessed at higher standards with HPC. Based on this experience I would say that a Pass at Masters is deffinitely well above the level for a ROSPA Gold or IAM F1RST. It would equate closer to HPC entry level. In my view a Distinction at Masters falls well short of HPC Gold. My opinion is based on the following....
For HPC Gold the assessment is based on a full days drive maintaining the standard not the 90 minutes for Masters. With HPC Gold you would be required to demonstrate extra techniques such as heel & toe and steering other than pull push. The general overall pace of the drive is higher. (No, that does not mean you have to exceed speed limits.) Also you would have had to undertake training on car control and night driving before being eligible for the Gold assessment. The assessor also needs to be sure that the same standard can be maintained in a car other than your own. I spent half a day in the assessors 911 the week before my Gold assessment but both drives formed part of the assessment and commented upon in the report.

Hope that helps but maybe waremark would have views as well from his experience.
Last edited by jcochrane on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby IanB » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:33 pm

jont wrote:
michael769 wrote:As far as I know it does not offer you any extra "rights" other than bragging ones.

Indeed, but does anyone know if it gains you indefinite membership of the IAM (assuming you pay subs) in the way of normal SfL? In which case the main benefit is probably future insurance discounts :lol:

The £159 test fee includes the first year's membership fee. When you pass you will become a full member and be entitled to the insurance discount. As long as you remain a member you will be entitled to that benefit.

While it doesn't work for everyone I'm happy with the insurance deal. New Fiesta ST for a shade over £200 including protected discount, legal protection, no loading for non-faults, courtesy car and cover for Skills days, if required, for £15 admin fee.

Edit: To give that quote some perspective a couple of big names wanted £400 and £500 respectively, the former with a whopping £450 excess. Ford quoted over £700.
IanB

Postby ScoobyChris » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:04 pm

jont wrote:In which case the main benefit is probably future insurance discounts :lol:

My experience of Surety doesn't suggest IAM members get insurance discounts and in fact Surety were so keen for my business they knocked £300 off their best quote to price-match the best I found on Moneysupermarket. Of course I've only done the basic test so it's quite possibly you get better discounts the higher up you go ;)

Btw, you don't have to do SfL and can just do the test for around 60 quid. :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby martine » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:53 pm

Well done Jont on your ROSPA retest - can't say I'm surprised however!

Just to be clear a pass at Masters doesn't entitle you to life-long membership...in fact you have to re pass it every 5 years to maintain the 'qualification'. IAM Masters is very new but there is talk of members being offered special coaching or driving days or skills days but nothing concrete as yet.

Good to read Mr. Cochrane's take on ROSPA/MASTERS/HPC - seems like a sensible summary of how they compare to me but hey, what do I know.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby IanB » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:02 pm

martine wrote:Just to be clear a pass at Masters doesn't entitle you to life-long membership...in fact you have to re pass it every 5 years to maintain the 'qualification'.

But passing the lesser ordinary advanced driving test does. :?
That doesn't really make a lot of sense. Re-test to maintain Masters status, ok, but surely you can't lose your full membership if you don't maintain Masters when there is no re-test for those who only have the lesser qualification.
Is this on the IAM site?
IanB

Postby martine » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:11 pm

IanB wrote:
martine wrote:But passing the lesser ordinary advanced driving test does. :?
That doesn't really make a lot of sense. Re-test to maintain Masters status, ok, but surely you can't lose your full membership if you don't maintain Masters when there is no re-test for those who only have the lesser qualification.
Is this on the IAM site?

Sorry my misunderstanding of Jont's question...I thought he was asking if you had life-long membership for no extra cost.

Just to be even clearer (!) - if you pass Masters you are a full IAM member - then if you continue to pay your annual subs you remain a member in the same way you do with 'Skill for Life'. You would drop the 'Masters' entitlement if you don't retake and pass a Masters retest every 5 years...but you'd still be a 'normal' IAM member.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby GJD » Wed May 01, 2013 7:58 am

ScoobyChris wrote:Btw, you don't have to do SfL and can just do the test for around 60 quid. :D

Pretty sure it was 90-something quid when I did just the test a couple of years ago. Still a saving on SfL though if you want to go that way.
GJD

Postby ScoobyChris » Wed May 01, 2013 8:39 am

GJD wrote:
ScoobyChris wrote:Btw, you don't have to do SfL and can just do the test for around 60 quid. :D

Pretty sure it was 90-something quid when I did just the test a couple of years ago. Still a saving on SfL though if you want to go that way.

Ah you are correct - current cost is £95, although that does include £32-34.50 for a year's membership too.

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby graham25 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:34 am

In an attempt to clarify the question on IAM Masters v RoSPA Gold I thought I'd add a comment and if this helps someone then I'm happy.

I've been a member of IAM and RoSPA for 10 years and I'm a Senior Observer/Tutor for both organisations. As far as test standards are concerned I've always preached that my benchmark for driving standards is a RoSPA Gold. That is until yesterday when I took my IAM MAsters test and achieved a pass with Distinction. I could talk all day about the test which I found challenging, demanding, physically and mentally tiring but extremely invigorating and worthwhile.

There is not the slightest doubt in my mind that the requirements for this test (at distinction level) are well above those of a RoSPA Gold. For me the new RoSPA Gold is now an IAM Masters Distinction.

If anyone disagrees with this (providing they've already taken the Masters test) I would be happy to exchange views.

Safe driving to all

Graham 25
[size=85]Graham
Training Officer and RoADAR Advanced Tutor - Northants RoADAR
IAM National Observer
IAM Masters Distinction
IAM Masters Mentor
graham25

Postby Nigel » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:32 am

Well done on passing graham and I would totally agree with you
Nigel

Postby sussex2 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:54 am

It seems the IAM has upped its game a bit and I'm pleased the qualification needs to be renewed.
However at what level would members say 'enough'. How much continuous training do you need? After all you practice what you have learned each time you ride or drive
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby martine » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:16 am

sussex2 wrote:However at what level would members say 'enough'. How much continuous training do you need?

Masters is optional of course. I continue to strive to be a better driver, every time I drive...why wouldn't you?
martine

Postby waremark » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:23 am

At the meeting of IAM forum members with IAM staff last weekend an IAM Staff Examiner said that for him IAM F1rst was the same standard as RoSPA Gold. He also said and it is undoubted that IAM Masters requires a significantly higher standard than F1rst.

Congratulations Graham. Who was your Masters Examiner and how did you prepare? Did you make any changes to your previous driving style?
waremark

Postby sussex2 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:59 pm

martine wrote:
sussex2 wrote:However at what level would members say 'enough'. How much continuous training do you need?

Masters is optional of course. I continue to strive to be a better driver, every time I drive...why wouldn't you?

Indeed but I wonder if there comes a time to cease taken examinations and rely on the knowledge you have accrued; and keeping up to date by reading.

Congratulations Graham and well done.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum