IAM Masters v RoSPA

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby graham25 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:11 pm

Thanks Martin. Your reply raises another interesting question about the personal whims of individual examiners but that would be going off topic so I'd better not mention it! We are all human beings with our individual personal preferences and I'm sure that as IAM Observers we also display our own likes and dislikes as well.

It made me realise just how easy it is to lose just one point over a two hour drive which can make the difference between a distinction and a pass, or pass and fail.

Probably like you I can now stand back from driving tests (not driving standards) for another 5 years.

Thanks
[size=85]Graham
Training Officer and RoADAR Advanced Tutor - Northants RoADAR
IAM National Observer
IAM Masters Distinction
IAM Masters Mentor
graham25

Postby fungus » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:22 pm

Horse wrote:
graham25 wrote: I was on a single carriage way driving at 60mph, the windscreen was covered in spray so I pressed my windscreen washer to clear the screen. The examiner commented that I could have chosen a safer place to do it and waited for a gap in the opposing traffic rather than doing it with an HGV coming towards in the opposite direction.

I often put the wipers on before encountering an oncoming HGV (or on the bike, duck behind the screen) if I reasonably expect additional spray in its wake.

I advise learners to use the washers before an HGV sprays the screen with muck.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby TripleS » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:07 pm

fungus wrote:
Horse wrote:
graham25 wrote: I was on a single carriage way driving at 60mph, the windscreen was covered in spray so I pressed my windscreen washer to clear the screen. The examiner commented that I could have chosen a safer place to do it and waited for a gap in the opposing traffic rather than doing it with an HGV coming towards in the opposite direction.

I often put the wipers on before encountering an oncoming HGV (or on the bike, duck behind the screen) if I reasonably expect additional spray in its wake.

I advise learners to use the washers before an HGV sprays the screen with muck.

Timing is paramount.
TripleS

Postby Horse » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:51 pm

Mind you, if you're going to head-on into an errant HGV, would you prefer your last few moments to be oblivious or informed? ;)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Zebedee » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:45 am

martine wrote:Crikey Graham your 2 examples do seem to be very detailed criticisms and I would be surprised if it affected your score...

I agree with Martin. These do seem very detailed criticisms, bordering on pedantry when read in isolation online. (Bearing in mind that online isn't the same as being in your car at the time.)

I think you might have just put me off trying Masters!
Zebedee

Postby graham25 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:52 am

Never let it be said that I put any one off doing anything. I only serve to encourage and coach and all I was trying to do was make people aware of what could happen. The detail is important and what might seem like a 'minor' fault on the standard IAM test can dramatically affect your score in the Masters.

Have a go at the test and then let us all know what the experience was like. I would genuinely be interested.

Regards

Graham25
[size=85]Graham
Training Officer and RoADAR Advanced Tutor - Northants RoADAR
IAM National Observer
IAM Masters Distinction
IAM Masters Mentor
graham25

Postby daz6215 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:00 am

It would be interesting to see what assessment criteria is being used compared to other assessments mentioned, what has been mentioned sounds very subjective based upon someone's opinion!
daz6215

Postby jcochrane » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:16 pm

With regard to advanced driving tests/assessments. I think that from the point of view of wanting to develop, the test and marking are of only minor benefit. At best they can only give an indication of where one might be against the standard for that assessment. The real value, in my view, is the preliminary training and the test feedback. Passing or failing is of secondary importance. I try to keep an open mind to the feedback, give it serious thought/practice and then make an unhurried decision whether to accept, reject or modify it into my driving.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby daz6215 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:57 pm

I agree but there must be an assessment criteria to help give feedback against, everything else outside of the agreed assessment would be subjective opinion.
daz6215

Postby TripleS » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:59 pm

Horse wrote:Mind you, if you're going to head-on into an errant HGV, would you prefer your last few moments to be oblivious or informed? ;)

If it really is an unavoidable 'last moments' thing, I vote for oblivious, but if we're suitably informed we might manage to avoid it. Well that's my story anyhow. :lol:
TripleS

Postby jcochrane » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:06 pm

daz6215 wrote: I agree but there must be an assessment criteria to help give feedback against, everything else outside of the agreed assessment would be subjective opinion.

Very true but to some extent is it also likely in part to be in part subjective based on the examiners knowledge, training and experience? Phrases like smooth, safe, effective etc. tend to be subjective. What might pass for safe on a blues n twos run might not acceptable for ordinary civilian driving. Both safe but the margins of safety are different.
jcochrane

Postby daz6215 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:11 pm

jcochrane wrote:
daz6215 wrote: I agree but there must be an assessment criteria to help give feedback against, everything else outside of the agreed assessment would be subjective opinion.

Very true but to some extent is it also likely in part to be in part subjective based on the examiners knowledge, training and experience? Phrases like smooth, safe, effective etc. tend to be subjective. What might pass for safe on a blues n twos run might not acceptable for ordinary civilian driving. Both safe but the margins of safety are different.

So would that be a fair assessment if it were partly based on an examiners knowledge?
daz6215

Postby martine » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:50 pm

jcochrane wrote:With regard to advanced driving tests/assessments. I think that from the point of view of wanting to develop, the test and marking are of only minor benefit. At best they can only give an indication of where one might be against the standard for that assessment. The real value, in my view, is the preliminary training and the test feedback. Passing or failing is of secondary importance. I try to keep an open mind to the feedback, give it serious thought/practice and then make an unhurried decision whether to accept, reject or modify it into my driving.

Well put John. In preparation for the Masters I drove several times with 3 other Masters candidates from the Bristol group - we mentored each other and are all part of the Regional Training Team so it worked well.

I would thoroughly recommend Masters to anyone who fancies it...except for perhaps someone new to AD. It's only thinking back that I now realise how little I knew when I passed the IAM test in 2002.

Masters is demanding and 'pendantic' but not in a tedious way - certainly not in my experience.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby jcochrane » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:36 pm

daz6215 wrote:
jcochrane wrote:

So would that be a fair assessment if it were partly based on an examiners knowledge?

An interesting question. Can any subjective assessment be fair?
jcochrane

Postby daz6215 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:56 pm

jcochrane wrote:
An interesting question. Can any subjective assessment be fair?

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :wink:
daz6215

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum