Day out with Chris Gilbert

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Gromit37 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:26 pm

Thank you Dave. You would probably hate my driving in general! At many roundabouts I tend to get the speed right down well before the give way line so that I hopefully don't have to stop. I will either be brushing the brakes or even taking second gear and be under power before the give way line. Sometimes this results in secondary braking to bring me to a stop, but usually I can slot in to a gap. This was actually copied from seeing a few police cars I saw doing it, albeit not ones in a hurry.

My experience with a couple of HPC drivers on ADUK days tells me I don't really like the firm braking option much. As a passenger I find it quite disconcerting at times. But then I've never been driven by you 8)
Gromit37

Postby Horse » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:01 pm

Re: 'attacking' roundabouts; am I alone in being concerned about the speed choices many drivers (and riders) make for actually negotiating roundabouts?

Particularly when travelling beyond where a clear view of the road surface is available (i.e. beyond the island) and when they take a nearside check before exiting either when travelling too fast to respond to anything they see or so late that they're already committed to the exit anyway.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Gromit37 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:35 pm

Speed and lane discipline are certainly two very big issues with roundabouts, that's for sure. Combined with what appears to be a lack of forethought and poor observation skills, it's amazing some drivers ever get off a roundabout in one piece.

Mind you, some of my local roundabouts now have several sets of traffic lights spread around them, not just at the entrances on to them, but part way round too. This not only causes awkward situations for those entering the RA, but defeats the whole purpose of them. The chaos caused beggars belief.
Gromit37

Postby triquet » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:14 pm

Gromit37 wrote:Mind you, some of my local roundabouts now have several sets of traffic lights spread around them, not just at the entrances on to them, but part way round too. This not only causes awkward situations for those entering the RA, but defeats the whole purpose of them. The chaos caused beggars belief.

We have an excellent light controlled roundabout near us (Milton Interchange A34), which has very short changes neatly phased so that no matter how fast you get away, each one turns to red just as you get there. Great fun.
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum