IAM commentary

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Kimosabe » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:43 am

jcochrane wrote:
Kimosabe wrote:What's the point in driving anywhere if there isn't a tea and cake/ pub lunch outlet along the way? I just don't see why that knowledge isn't also a part of a good commentary.

For us "old Farts" the most vital information in any commentary ,just as it is when planning a route, is where the T(ea) and P(ee) stops are. This is where scanning to the limit limit point is so important so you can plan to stop in time and not shoot passed them.

Do you not do the bottle and funnel thing then? Thought you said you were an advanced driver! :wink:
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby jcochrane » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:38 am

Kimosabe wrote:
jcochrane wrote:
Kimosabe wrote:What's the point in driving anywhere if there isn't a tea and cake/ pub lunch outlet along the way? I just don't see why that knowledge isn't also a part of a good commentary.

For us "old Farts" the most vital information in any commentary ,just as it is when planning a route, is where the T(ea) and P(ee) stops are. This is where scanning to the limit limit point is so important so you can plan to stop in time and not shoot passed them.

Do you not do the bottle and funnel thing then? Thought you said you were an advanced driver! :wink:

Have you ever tried to use one of those whilst driving?
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Kimosabe » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:11 am

StressedDave wrote:Contrary to what the IAM say, you are allowed to take one hand off the wheel whilst driving...

IPSGA covers this too as well as many other urgent situations!

I - the Manilow CD is in the glove box
P - lean across and get it
S - quickly and without too much case fumbling
G - stick it in the player (forward planning ensures prior ejection of unwanted Andre Rieu CD)
A - only on A roads during the choruses

I'd also mention that in a commentary. What do points make? I rest my case.
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby waremark » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:41 am

jcochrane wrote:
Kimosabe wrote:

What else would you do while flying a glider for several hours at a stretch?
waremark

Postby Gromit37 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:50 pm

waremark wrote:
jcochrane wrote:
Kimosabe wrote:

What else would you do while flying a glider for several hours at a stretch?

Well, you could always drill a hole in the floor with an appropriately positioned funnel taped to the seat. A little planning goes a long way. Probably several thousand feet down in this case.

If and when I take up paramotor flying, god help those looking up saying "Oooh, look at that!" :twisted:
Gromit37

Postby waremark » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:16 am

Gromit37 wrote:Well, you could always drill a hole in the floor with an appropriately positioned funnel taped to the seat. A little planning goes a long way. Probably several thousand feet down in this case.

If and when I take up paramotor flying, god help those looking up saying "Oooh, look at that!" :twisted:

I have such a device (factory fitted optional extra). You get yellow streaks down the outside of the glider so I don't use it. There are numerous other patent systems. But that is more than enough on this topic!
waremark

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum