Local IAM group are dragging their heels

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby IcedKiwi » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:52 pm

fengpo wrote:Just to finish the story, had my test at a few minutes past 2 today. We was parked parallel to one another, we both laughed about it. My examiner was the ex Sargent of Gwent traffic Police, really enjoyed the test. Some police tips and stories.

Ecstatic I passed but not just a pass, a first. He assured me he doesn't give too many out. Was impressed with my attitude to driving for a young man. Then asked me to join the ROSPA group, he is the president of the Hereford group

Thanks again for all the help and tips at the Cheddar day. Roll on Brecon in June.

Congrats fengpo, that's awesome! Well done.

I had my first observer drive last night (I'll put up a separate post) but one of the things he first mentioned was don't chat to the examiner. He said he may ask you some non related things "to catch you out" at which point you should tell him politely to defer the conversation until later and only talk about driving relating things... I was a bit surprised, and doesn't sound like your experience.
IcedKiwi

Postby jont » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:09 pm

IcedKiwi wrote:I had my first observer drive last night (I'll put up a separate post) but one of the things he first mentioned was don't chat to the examiner. He said he may ask you some non related things "to catch you out" at which point you should tell him politely to defer the conversation until later and only talk about driving relating things... I was a bit surprised, and doesn't sound like your experience.

Sounds utterly bizarre to me! The examiner will probably want to chat to put you at your ease - especially if you have an unusual/interesting car. It's not a DSA test - IME the examiner wants you to pass, it's up to you if you let yourself down.
jont

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:44 pm

I always have a good old chat with my examiner. It's part of the assessment process - can you talk and drive, what's your attitude, experience, tuition history, etc.? We talk about RoADAR administrative issues, our driving history and experiences, the RAF, all kinds of stuff :)

Oops! Sorry! Congrats, Conor! (got distracted there) :mrgreen:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby akirk » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:50 pm

Well done - the start of a lifetime of learning / acheiving - great way to begin :)

Alasdair
akirk

Postby fengpo » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:01 pm

He was asking me some hard theory stuff, it was all based on the police view. At the debrief he informed me, that was an added extra to the test. As he seemed to think I can achieve a lot with this advanced driving lark. Cracking compliment considering his background.

What group are you with, also tip would be make sure you are smooth changing gear. Also corner fairly well, this impressed mine. Attempt commentary from the start, shows willing. As opposed to be asked.

As others have said, you can chat about unrelated topics, be polite. The guy is doing you a favour ultimately.
fengpo

Postby Mike H » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:19 pm

Congratulations on the pass and especially so on the F1rst! Now begins the real learning curve :)

And as for talking to the examiner - I've had two tests this year and chatted to the examiners, as always, about all manner of car, advanced driving, and other perhaps not so motoring related stuff. A RoSPA re-test Gold and Masters Distinction resulted so I must be doing something (but not everything) right :D
IAM; RoADAR
Mike H

Postby fengpo » Fri May 01, 2015 10:15 pm

Been trying a steering method, my examiner spent a good chunk of time explaining to me after the test. He taught it to his students in the force, for a left hand bend. Left hand goes to 10 o'clock then right hand goes to 5. For a right hand, right hand goes to 2 left hand goes to 7.

What I like about it after playing with it driving to work, is that my steering feels more balanced before, during and after a bend. I have no clue what this method is called, all he told me is I won't find it in Roadcraft. Another tool for my box.
fengpo

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri May 01, 2015 11:39 pm

fengpo wrote:Been trying a steering method, my examiner spent a good chunk of time explaining to me after the test. He taught it to his students in the force, for a left hand bend. Left hand goes to 10 o'clock then right hand goes to 5. For a right hand, right hand goes to 2 left hand goes to 7.

What I like about it after playing with it driving to work, is that my steering feels more balanced before, during and after a bend. I have no clue what this method is called, all he told me is I won't find it in Roadcraft. Another tool for my box.

You haven't explained this in full. Do you maintain that grip throughout the bend or then "feed" the wheel?
Maintaining the grip is known as predictive steering but the hands positiion is predicated upon prior judgement of what is needed for the bend, not a specific position.
For some of us, that predictive steering might include, (whisper this) crossing arms.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby jcochrane » Sat May 02, 2015 10:05 am

fengpo wrote:Been trying a steering method, my examiner spent a good chunk of time explaining to me after the test. He taught it to his students in the force, for a left hand bend. Left hand goes to 10 o'clock then right hand goes to 5. For a right hand, right hand goes to 2 left hand goes to 7.

This sounds like "predictive steering" but in its full application the choice of pre turn hand position is dependant on the amount of steering input required based on judgment of the bend. Ideally the hands end up at 3-9 at the limit of turn.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Silk » Sat May 02, 2015 3:01 pm

jcochrane wrote:This sounds like "predictive steering" but in its full application the choice of pre turn hand position is dependant on the amount of steering input required based on judgment of the bend. Ideally the hands end up at 3-9 at the limit of turn.

"Predictive" steering is simply WRONG. Potentially dangerous and of no benefit whatsoever. If anyone is doing it, they should stop NOW (especially if they're reading this at the same time) and NEVER do it again. It's NOT big and it's NOT clever. :evil:
Silk

Postby TripleS » Sat May 02, 2015 4:40 pm

Silk wrote:
jcochrane wrote:This sounds like "predictive steering" but in its full application the choice of pre turn hand position is dependant on the amount of steering input required based on judgment of the bend. Ideally the hands end up at 3-9 at the limit of turn.

"Predictive" steering is simply WRONG. Potentially dangerous and of no benefit whatsoever. If anyone is doing it, they should stop NOW (especially if they're reading this at the same time) and NEVER do it again. It's NOT big and it's NOT clever. :evil:

Oh I wouldn't dismiss it totally, but it does sound a bit unnatural to me, though I must admit I haven't yet made a serious attempt to apply the technique.

In truth I don't make a decent job of performing any of the recognised steering techniques: my steering is all a bit of a mixed bag really. :lol:
TripleS

Postby Silk » Sat May 02, 2015 5:48 pm

StressedDave wrote:
Silk wrote:It's NOT big and it's NOT clever. :evil:

A bit like Dopey the Dwarf?

John C doesn't like you calling him that. :wink:
Silk

Postby waremark » Sun May 03, 2015 12:57 am

Silk wrote:

Just an appropriate and effective steering technique. Do you use it Silk, or is this a tool not in your particular bag?
waremark

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sun May 03, 2015 11:34 am

The only tool in Silk's bag, Mark, is a large wooden spoon. The skill for us lies in recognising when it's been deployed :)
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Silk » Sun May 03, 2015 2:57 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:The only tool in Silk's bag, Mark, is a large wooden spoon. The skill for us lies in recognising when it's been deployed :)

I'm sure I'd be suitably insulted if I could work out what it is you're trying to say.
Silk

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum