Car refusing to budge in lane3

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby revian » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:38 pm

I prefer sat-nav 70.... :D it's faster by far
Wirral
revian

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:15 pm

I'd just drive along behind the offending car for a minute or so, and if it's still not budged, I'll move over into the left lane if it's clear for a long enough distance, hold back for a few moments, to 'establish' myself in the lane, and if the car shows no sign of moving over, then accelerate to 70 and go past then pull back into the right lane whenever necessary.
TheInsanity1234

Postby TR4ffic » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:58 pm

Was he keeping up with traffic ahead of him in L3?

As his speed was fluctuating between 60 and 70, once it became clear he wasn't moving out of L3, I'd move to L1 or 2 and the next time his speed reduced I would maintain my speed and pass on the left - assuming all was clear/safe.
Riveting – The most fascinating job you could ever have..!

Nick
IAM Member since 1985
TR4ffic

Postby jcochrane » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:44 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I'd just drive along behind the offending car for a minute or so, and if it's still not budged, I'll move over into the left lane if it's clear for a long enough distance, hold back for a few moments, to 'establish' myself in the lane, and if the car shows no sign of moving over, then accelerate to 70 and go past then pull back into the right lane whenever necessary.

Er.....I assume "the right lane" was a typo as that would be going into an overtaking lane when not overtaking. :shock:
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Horse » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:29 pm

jcochrane wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:I'd just drive along behind the offending car for a minute or so, and if it's still not budged, I'll move over into the left lane if it's clear for a long enough distance, hold back for a few moments, to 'establish' myself in the lane, and if the car shows no sign of moving over, then accelerate to 70 and go past then pull back into the right lane whenever necessary.

Er.....I assume "the right lane" was a typo as that would be going into an overtaking lane when not overtaking. :shock:

'Correct'? :?:
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby revian » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:50 pm

TR4ffic wrote:Was he keeping up with traffic ahead of him in L3?

As his speed was fluctuating between 60 and 70, once it became clear he wasn't moving out of L3, I'd move to L1 or 2 and the next time his speed reduced I would maintain my speed and pass on the left - assuming all was clear/safe.

Nope... Plenty of space in front of him but a queue behind! Some far too close...
Wirral
revian

Postby Astraist » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:02 pm

Sadly, this is a common occurrence on the Israeli roads: lane discipline is often inexistent (I believe most drivers are ignorant to it's very meaning) and this happens several times on each trip.

Some drivers really get annoyed by this. I simply hang back a bit, keeping my distance, maybe signal the lights slightly (just one or two flashes - nothing aggressive) and if that does not work - carefully undertake.

I believe that making some sort of quiet protest is important. Imagine that every driver would signal at such a driver, or otherwise at a driver that cuts you off, dazzles with the high beams, etc.
Astraist

Postby revian » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:24 pm

Every Israeli driver a 'Jehu'? :D
Wirral
revian

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:02 pm

Horse wrote:
jcochrane wrote:

'Correct'? :?:

May I draw your attention to the last 2 words of that sentence?
TheInsanity1234

Postby revian » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:56 pm

Thanks for the comments, questions and suggestions.

Back up to the NW in 11 days time and I'll see what I'll see and I'll see what options there are...

Ian 8)
Wirral
revian

Postby jcochrane » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:32 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:May I draw your attention to the last 2 words of that sentence?

You may. :D I also had in my mind, when I wrote that, that even lane 2 is an overtaking lane. :wink:
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby revian » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:51 pm

chriskay wrote:
revian wrote:Every Israeli driver a 'Jehu'? :D

2 Kings 9. 20 for those who want the reference.

:D
Wirral
revian

Postby Horse » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:24 pm

revian wrote: Back up to the NW in 11 days time and I'll see what I'll see and I'll see what options there are...

Do you think he'll still be there, waiting for you? :?: :mrgreen: :lol:
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby revian » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:29 pm

Horse wrote:
revian wrote: Back up to the NW in 11 days time and I'll see what I'll see and I'll see what options there are...

Do you think he'll still be there, waiting for you? :?: :mrgreen: :lol:

Brilliant! AAagh... I hope not! :D

I'll have a glass of Merlot and think about it...
Wirral
revian

Postby Horse » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:45 pm

As I read that, Guy Martin is on TV and Filly is collecting a bottle from the rack. Cheers!
Horse

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum