Car refusing to budge in lane3

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Keithrm » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:34 pm

Horse wrote:As I read that, Guy Martin is on TV and Filly is collecting a bottle from the rack. Cheers!

All good then :lol:
Keithrm

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:56 pm

jcochrane wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:May I draw your attention to the last 2 words of that sentence?

You may. :D I also had in my mind, when I wrote that, that even lane 2 is an overtaking lane. :wink:

I was thinking of a dual carriageway when I wrote that, but yeah, the same principle applies, move into the nearside lane and just go past.
TheInsanity1234

Postby Kimosabe » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:28 pm

I found a rather interesting trick to use when a driver is maintaining a lane when they don't need to. It's not 100% but it often works for me.

Lights on dipped (anyway and regardless of time of day) drive upto a safe following distance to the driver whose attention you wish to attract and then drop back until your dipped beams would look like (to them) pink pricks in their mirrors before repeating. If the driver isn't looking in their mirrors (providing they are correctly adjusted... I mean the the mirrors but come to think of it...), what they will notice is a car closing in on them because the headlights will appear to be brighter, if not larger in their mirrors. If after a few attempts of trying to attract their attention like this, they don't move, they probably aren't going to move.

It depends upon how patient you are with such things but i've done this many times and sometimes it doesn't work but most of the time, when a driver is making a genuine mistake by holding position unnecessarily, they will move. When they do, please pass courteously and don't slice past them aggressively. For drivers who couldn't give a toss, no amount of hassle or light shining is going to change their tiny minds, so rather than allow that situation to create resentment, I tend to treat them as I do any self-absorbed egotist and do my utmost to ignore their nonsense by holding a safe though assertive position behind them while being ready to pass when the occasion arises. Some people just like being in front and there's nothing more to it than that. Of course there's always someone who would treat any tiny gap between cars as an invitation to fill it but apart from them, the chances are that the driver ahead will be trying to get somewhere as quickly as they can, even if that's not quickly enough for you.
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby revian » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:59 pm

Cheers Kimosabe... I'll give that a try if it happens again... or better... :D when... As it surely will!

Ian
Wirral
revian

Postby revian » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:35 pm

Cheers Kimosabe... I'll give that a try if it happens again... or better... :D when... As it surely will!

Ian
Wirral
revian

Postby TripleS » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:25 pm

Kim offers an interesting suggestion, but I'm not sure I'd want to go through too many cycles of closing up and dropping back, with no certainty of getting the desired result at the end of it.

I'm generally more inclined to move to a lane on my left and then, after a decent interval, go past on the lane hogger's left when it is safe to do so. The snag there might be if you're spotted by a police officer, and deemed to have changed lanes for the purpose of what is popularly called undertaking. That could yield a spot of bother.

An alternative might be to try and spot the lane hogger early enough, i.e. before moving into his lane, and then just continue warily past him on his nearside.
TripleS

Postby Ancient » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:02 am

Lane hogger's do tend to be easy to spot, due to their effect on all traffic (either queueing up or suddenly swerving to nearside lanes); the drawback of that is it is sometimes difficult to catch up as people queue both behind them and on their nearside.
Ancient

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum