Social Acceptability of Overtaking

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby triquet » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:17 am

We seem to be getting to the point where the Great British Public (40 mph) consider that overtaking on a single carriageway is morally reprehensible. Many time driving on a NSL single I find I am joining a lengthy parade, all neatly spaced one car's length apart. Frequently all one can do is to grit the teeth, slow down and join the circus, because one knows that try to get past will just raise the blood pressure and cause wrath amongst the GBP. Sometimes one just has to relax and enjoy the view. :mrgreen:
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Postby TripleS » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:32 am

triquet wrote:We seem to be getting to the point where the Great British Public (40 mph) consider that overtaking on a single carriageway is morally reprehensible. Many time driving on a NSL single I find I am joining a lengthy parade, all neatly spaced one car's length apart. Frequently all one can do is to grit the teeth, slow down and join the circus, because one knows that try to get past will just raise the blood pressure and cause wrath amongst the GBP. Sometimes one just has to relax and enjoy the view. :mrgreen:

Around where I live things are very variable, depending on the time of day.

If it is early or late in the day, people travelling from Whitby to Pickering, or to Scarborough or Teesside, seem to press on fairly well and there is plenty of overtaking. These people are presumably travelling to or from work. At other times it can be pretty much as you describe it, PITA stuff: people either can't summon up the ability to overtake, or they doze off and follow each other like sheep, but they will not leave gaps to the vehicle in front so that others can progress through the queue. That has been an increasing problem for some years now. :evil:

Edit: Are we producing an increasing list of things that are to be regarded as socially unacceptable? I hope not.

First it was speeding, then drink driving, and now overtaking. That ass on BBC TV this morning was on about a survey in which they reckoned that 90% of people now consider that drink driving is socally unacceptable. That merely suggests that 90% of people are simple minded idiots.

What is unacceptable is to get onself into such a state (by whatever means) that one can no longer be relied upon to produce decent and safe driving. So long as a good standard of driving can be assured, drink driving, within the legal limit, is perfectly acceptable.
Last edited by TripleS on Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
TripleS

Postby akirk » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:34 am

the simple answer is a very fast car and then you will never find out their reaction :D

more seriously I believe that the car you drive does also affect the reaction - I have a fast z3 and a ford kuga - wind noise means that the Kuga would be more comfortable to drive fast on the motorway, yet if I approach a car from behind in the z3 cars often move over - maybe assuming that I will want to get past / drive fast - in the kuga they don't. Certainly if a ferrari came up behind me I might be more inclined to assume he will wish to overtake than a fast golf / etc. - even though the golf driver might be more inclined to drive at speed - all about perception.

there is also the fact that quite a lot of overtaking can be viewed as foolish - done in a showy fast manner / done where perhaps it shouldn't be / etc. - I think there is a big difference between a smooth fast driver wafting past and a boy racer 'taking out' the member of public...

Alasdair
akirk

Postby trashbat » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:46 am

I overtake a lot, I don't get much grief, and never anything as severe as some.

Go rural enough and people - if not busy overtaking you themselves - often actively assist.

The skill has certainly been lost, though. Some people round here won't even overtake slow moving tractors any more. The overtakes I do see are often grim to behold affairs that either involve a flying run-up or are glacial progressions towards oncoming traffic in highest gear. Perhaps as a result of that, people are more inclined to take offence when you do pull it off, seeing it as cheating.

I'm reminded of a tale from another forum of a gentlemen, who when met with flashing and gestures by the passed driver upon completing his safe overtake, pulled into a side road out of view, waited for him to go by and then did it again ...rinse and repeat about half a dozen times!
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby michael769 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:50 am

triquet wrote:We seem to be getting to the point where the Great British Public (40 mph) consider that overtaking on a single carriageway is morally reprehensible. Many time driving on a NSL single I find I am joining a lengthy parade, all neatly spaced one car's length apart. Frequently all one can do is to grit the teeth, slow down and join the circus, because one knows that try to get past will just raise the blood pressure and cause wrath amongst the GBP. Sometimes one just has to relax and enjoy the view. :mrgreen:

I agree that some people are now anti-overtaking. But a lot of times it is simply happy to pootle along at that speed, or a lack of confidence.

I doubt closing the gaps to prevent overtaking is in many folks minds, most people just drive like that all the time. :shock:
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby akirk » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:15 pm

trashbat wrote:I'm reminded of a tale from another forum of a gentlemen, who when met with flashing and gestures by the passed driver upon completing his safe overtake, pulled into a side road out of view, waited for him to go by and then did it again ...rinse and repeat about half a dozen times!

fantastic - groundhog day in action

Alasdair
akirk

Postby Horse » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:25 pm

triquet wrote:We seem to be getting to the point where the Great British Public (40 mph) consider that overtaking on a single carriageway is morally reprehensible.

What do you see as the 'timeline' for this happening?

I wonder if . . . .

- Many of the engineering changes to roads (increasing use of double white line systems, blanket reductions in speed limits)

- The increase in speed limit enforcement (40 years ago you might get pulled by a traffic patrol, or encounter a 'radar speed trap' - now there are occasional police patrols, roadside vans, fixed cameras, average speed installations . . . ). 'Speed' has become the 'drink driving' of the 21st Century

- The increase in 'urban' roads (in the South of England whole swathes of roadside have been developed for housing since I started riding in 1976), with consequent lower speed limits

- The dramatic increase in the density of vehicles on the roads (we may have had an increase in 'tarmac miles' through that time, but much will have been residential / industrial 'feeder' roads)

- The increasing emphasis on 'eco' driving

Will all have influenced drivers, so that overtaking is no longer viewed as 'desirable'? After all, if you're in a long line of traffic, limited by the artic ahead, the rare opportunity might get you one or two car lengths ahead and save you little time.

PS 'Fun' hasn't been made illegal yet, but many drivers won't understand that in a motoring context - their car is simply a method of transport (also: phone box / office / fast food restaurant seating / etc.).
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby triquet » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:40 pm

Fully agree with Horse. These are very much the causes here in South Oxfordshire (Occupied North Berkshire). Housebuilding is roaring ahead and Oxfordshire County Council is pressing on with extensive 50-isation. Mind you there are plenty of roads here where it would be fun to actually get to 50 ...
Jim
triquet

Postby Horse » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:37 pm

triquet wrote:Fully agree with Horse. These are very much the causes here in South Oxfordshire (Occupied North Berkshire). Housebuilding is roaring ahead and Oxfordshire County Council is pressing on with extensive 50-isation. Mind you there are plenty of roads here where it would be fun to actually get to 50 ...

Comparison, a 6 mile journey:
1976: Village 30 limit > 'nationals' dual /single mix
2014: Village 30 > 40 1/2 mile > 50 1/2 mile > dual / single nationals, with single lane 'calming' on some of the dual > 40mph > short nationals single/dual
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:32 pm

StressedDave wrote: If you don't like Oxfordshire, move to a different county with better county councillors.

According to Google route planner, Whitby (selected as you mentioned it earlier) to work:
273 mi, 4 hours 49 mins In current traffic: 5 hours 15 mins

That'd be a long day . . .
Horse

Postby Andy » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:08 pm

triquet wrote:Many times driving on a NSL single I find I am joining a lengthy parade, all neatly spaced one car's length apart. Frequently all one can do is to grit the teeth, slow down and join the circus...

You ought to consider getting a bike. Problem solved.
Andy Stoll
Advanced Motorcycle Instructor
Derbyshire Advanced Rider Training
Andy

Postby triquet » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:20 pm

Andy wrote:
triquet wrote:Many times driving on a NSL single I find I am joining a lengthy parade, all neatly spaced one car's length apart. Frequently all one can do is to grit the teeth, slow down and join the circus...

Not so suitable for taking garden rubbish to the tip, transporting young grandchildren, moving furniture, and all the various demands on the retired gentleman. I shall stick to the Saab of Doom until something better presents itself.
Jim
triquet

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:01 pm

triquet wrote:
Andy wrote:

Not so suitable for taking garden rubbish to the tip, transporting young grandchildren, moving furniture, and all the various demands on the retired gentleman. I shall stick to the Saab of Doom until something better presents itself.

Speaking as also a retired gentleman, I must admit that I have been tempted to revisit the motorcycle world.
There are some awesome machines there for not much cost, relative to cars.
I'm sorta wondering when I can give my last hurrah and stick two fingers up to this useless State.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby akirk » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:09 pm

Horse wrote:
triquet wrote:Fully agree with Horse. These are very much the causes here in South Oxfordshire (Occupied North Berkshire). Housebuilding is roaring ahead and Oxfordshire County Council is pressing on with extensive 50-isation. Mind you there are plenty of roads here where it would be fun to actually get to 50 ...

Comparison, a 6 mile journey:
1976: Village 30 limit > 'nationals' dual /single mix
2014: Village 30 > 40 1/2 mile > 50 1/2 mile > dual / single nationals, with single lane 'calming' on some of the dual > 40mph > short nationals single/dual

or buy an Austin 7 and have your fun with on the limit driving at under 30mph :)

Alasdair
akirk

Postby jont » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:41 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:Speaking as also a retired gentleman, I must admit that I have been tempted to revisit the motorcycle world.
There are some awesome machines there for not much cost, relative to cars.
I'm sorta wondering when I can give my last hurrah and stick two fingers up to this useless State.

Someone I used to work with had a, er, flexible attitude to the law. He knew most forces had a "do not pursue" policy for bikes, so he'd often run without a numberplate (no chance of fixed enforcement either).

TBH, I don't know why removing numberplates as civil disobedience hasn't become much more widespread against so much automated enforcement (whether parking fines, congestion charge or enforcement of inappropriate speed limits). AIUI the penalty for no plate is a smaller fine, and non-endorsable on your license.
jont

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum