Lift-off understeer

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby TripleS » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:40 pm

Yep, you're right. I apologise: it was too much smartarsedness on my part.

I guess you really meant 'That would be great.'
TripleS

Postby 5star » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:44 pm

TripleS wrote:Yep, you're right. I apologise: it was too much smartarsedness on my part.

Yes.

TBH I still don't know whether you are being sarcastic, but apology accepted either way and no problem. Just PM me if you want to meet up.
5star

Postby 5star » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:08 am

StressedDave wrote:...

Well you learn something new everyday. I need to find a suitably steep hill to try this.
Last edited by 5star on Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:26 am, edited 6 times in total.
5star

Postby trashbat » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:11 am

Maybe off topic but that was interesting Dave, ta. If I understand that correctly, you get a disproportionate throttle response as soon as you provide any pedal input in those circumstances?

I had noticed this, I think, in that it's hard or maybe even impossible to smoothly graduate between engine braking & any throttle in low gears/high revs. What's the motivation for setting it up this way?
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby jcochrane » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:42 am

trashbat wrote:Maybe off topic but that was interesting Dave, ta. If I understand that correctly, you get a disproportionate throttle response as soon as you provide any pedal input in those circumstances?

I had noticed this, I think, in that it's hard or maybe even impossible to smoothly graduate between engine braking & any throttle in low gears/high revs. What's the motivation for setting it up this way?

I find the easiest way to manage the rate of acceleration is to get my foot right down as early as possible and ease off the throttle as engine revs rise.

Don't know why this works better for me but it does. Maybe the answer lies in what StressedDave has commented on. If I understand correctly the accelerator pedal is non linear in its delivery and what I do helps me to have more control to achieve a linear response.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby akirk » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:04 am

as all new cars and many old ones are now fly by wire ref. throttle - does that mean that you could in theory re-program that curve - I assume that is what happens as a part of the changes when a car has different driving modes...
Alasdair
akirk

Postby chrisl » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:51 am

akirk wrote:as all new cars and many old ones are now fly by wire ref. throttle - does that mean that you could in theory re-program that curve - I assume that is what happens as a part of the changes when a car has different driving modes...
Alasdair

That's a question that interests me also. I recently attempted to get my Fiesta's (2005, 1.6 petrol) fly-by-wire throttle reprogrammed as part of an ECU remap but to no avail. I find the throttle very harsh at the top of the pedal and would like to make it more linear/progressive.
chrisl

Postby trashbat » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:56 am

akirk wrote:as all new cars and many old ones are now fly by wire ref. throttle - does that mean that you could in theory re-program that curve - I assume that is what happens as a part of the changes when a car has different driving modes...
Alasdair

SD might know better, but in older cars IME that's usually all that happens when you press the 'Sport Mode' button or whatever. Big psychological effect though.

More recently as deeper & better coordinated tech became available, it may do a wider array of things around the car; e.g. Alfa's DNA system affects steering, braking, boost, traction control etc.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby chrisl » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:06 pm

StressedDave wrote:In theory yes - after all it's just another part of the engine map. In practice, nobody has the option in case you get it wrong/too aggressive.

Thank you, that's very useful to know.
chrisl

Postby jont » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:47 pm

StressedDave wrote:Audi throttle map - here. It's for the 4.2L V8. Hitting the sport button changes the mapping (and in finest fashion, it would appear that you can get more than 100% of max torque!) and opens a valve in the exhaust system so it sounds sportier at idle.

No, it says you can request more than 100% of max torque. I guess that's like bouncing up and down while screaming "more power" :lol:
jont

Postby zadocbrown » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:40 pm

Quite. Not really sure why you would need the confusion of having to adapt to 2 different throttle maps as opposed to just moving your foot a bit more to go faster - an idea as simple as it is effective..... :?

If anything I'd have thought sharpening the response just when you intend to give it stick is counterproductive..... Maybe market research isn't always a good thing, especially when it seems the sample is dominated by the borderline moronic.
zadocbrown

Postby waremark » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:47 am

In cars with an adjustable throttle map (including my current one) I have to recalibrate my pedal action if I make the change.
waremark

Postby TripleS » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:28 pm

zadocbrown wrote:Quite. Not really sure why you would need the confusion of having to adapt to 2 different throttle maps as opposed to just moving your foot a bit more to go faster - an idea as simple as it is effective..... :?

Exactly. I wish these 'clever' technical people would stop faffing about with things that worked perfectly well without all the added complexity. :evil:
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:47 pm

5star wrote:
TripleS wrote:Yep, you're right. I apologise: it was too much smartarsedness on my part.

Yes.

TBH I still don't know whether you are being sarcastic, but apology accepted either way and no problem. Just PM me if you want to meet up.

OK, and thanks for that, but I have had second thoughts.

Given that I have no expertise that equips me to help you, I don't think just the two of us meeting up would get us far, so I now make the following suggestion:

Why not arrange to meet up with SD and get him to help you to overcome the dificulty? You'd probably have to go to Cambridgeshire to do that, but I reckon it would be your best way of dealing with the situation. Then, if the two of you agree, I would quite like to join you as an observer, not looking for any coaching, but just out of interest and to see if I can learn something useful from the sidelines.

If I do end up with a bit of coaching, assuming there is time for it without detracting from your needs, I will make a contribution to SD's charge for the day.

If Dave and yourself are willing to consider this suggestion, perhaps you will let me know what you think.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby akirk » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:07 pm

TripleS wrote:
zadocbrown wrote:Quite. Not really sure why you would need the confusion of having to adapt to 2 different throttle maps as opposed to just moving your foot a bit more to go faster - an idea as simple as it is effective..... :?

Exactly. I wish these 'clever' technical people would stop faffing about with things that worked perfectly well without all the added complexity. :evil:

think of it more as allowing you two cars for the price of one - so your car can be a sports car with sharp responses when you want, but in the evening you can gently cruise home without having to worry about every twitch on the pedal sending you into the ditch!

sounds good value to me :)

Alasdair
akirk

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum