I've been feeling horny lately...

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:28 pm

Wouldn't it be a good idea to have 2 different horn buttons, one where it's a gentle horn set off by prodding in the approximate area of either button on both sides, and a really loud horn set off by pushing in the middle area which would then press both buttons at the same time?
TheInsanity1234

Postby onlinegenie » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:07 pm

It's the 21st century! We should have voice-activated horns. Surely if the circumstances merit use of horn they also merit keeping both hands on the wheel?
onlinegenie

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:15 pm

Well, me being deaf, my speech isn't clear enough for voice recognition to operate, I often miss out the higher frequency sounds when I'm talking, and nobody has ever noticed anything off, but my phone refuses to understand what I'm saying.

So I doubt the validity of a voice activated horn when it immediately excludes anybody that doesn't have the 'ideal' speech from operating it.

:mrgreen:
TheInsanity1234

Postby onlinegenie » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:39 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Well, me being deaf, my speech isn't clear enough for voice recognition to operate, I often miss out the higher frequency sounds when I'm talking, and nobody has ever noticed anything off, but my phone refuses to understand what I'm saying.

So I doubt the validity of a voice activated horn when it immediately excludes anybody that doesn't have the 'ideal' speech from operating it.

A valid point that I had overlooked. I'll rephrase it: we should have horns that can be activated by voice or by pushing the stalk (my preferred option over a horn on the steering wheel).
onlinegenie

Postby Gareth » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:31 pm

onlinegenie wrote:It's the 21st century! We should have voice-activated horns.

Latency would be too great.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:58 pm

Gareth wrote:
onlinegenie wrote:It's the 21st century! We should have voice-activated horns.

Latency would be too great.

That is another issue!

"AAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHH"
"Processing, please wait.
*loud crashing noise*
"Horn - activated"
*toot*
TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:00 am

StressedDave wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:Well, me being deaf, my speech isn't clear enough for voice recognition to operate, I often miss out the higher frequency sounds when I'm talking, and nobody has ever noticed anything off, but my phone refuses to understand what I'm saying.

Surely aaaaaaaaaaargh whould be discernible irrespective of the clarity of speech... :mrgreen:

Ah, perfectly acceptable command for when you want to blast the horn.

But what if it's just supposed to be a friendly toot to let that pedestrian know you're there?
Are you supposed to go "can you please toot the horn"?
TheInsanity1234

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum