I've been feeling horny lately...

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby R_U_LOCAL » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:07 pm

Let’s reclaim the horn!

The horn has completely lost its way in the UK in my opinion. Every car has one, they’re fitted for perfectly sound reasons, but for some reason, horn use has become a bit like one of those words which used to be used in normal day-to-day language, but for reasons of political correctness, are now deemed insulting, degrading or highly offensive.

“Consider use of the horn” used to be one of the individual phases of the old blue Roadcraft system, which meant that advanced drivers were encouraged to at least think about using the horn at every single hazard they encountered on the road.

In the modern version of system, "information" runs throughout the other four phases and means that, amongst other signals, the horn should be used where appropriate as a signal.

The Highway Code has a very clear rule relating to the use of the horn – rule 112 in fact – which states:

The horn. Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence. You MUST NOT use your horn

• while stationary on the road
• when driving in a built up area between the hours of 11.30pm and 7.00am

except when another road user poses a danger.

That couldn’t be any clearer could it? The horn is there solely to warn other road users of your presence. Makes perfect sense to me – an audible device which gives out a quick “honk” or “toot” whenever you’re unsure whether another road user is aware of your presence. You gain the advantage of knowing you’ve made someone aware that you’re there and they gain the advantage of knowing you’re there. You’d think people would be grateful of the warning wouldn’t you?

If you’re approaching a badly-sighted junction and you see the front of a vehicle starting to emerge, but have no view of the driver, then it’s entirely appropriate to give a short horn warning to the driver to alert them of your presence.

A bus stops in front of you and passengers start to disembark. There is always a real danger that, as you pass the bus, the passengers may cross from the front of the bus, into your path. A longer horn warning on approach will let them know you’re coming and may deter them from stepping out in front of you.

You’re alongside a large goods vehicle which starts to drift in its lane, squeezing you towards the central reservation. A short toot on the horn gets the driver’s attention and creates you some essential space.

You’re approaching a pedestrian walking in the same direction of you with their hood up and on the phone. They start to step into the road and a long honk on the horn gets their attention and they step back on to the pavement.

All good no?

Well, these days, seemingly – no…

For some reason, over an extended period of time (probably over the last 40 or 50 years), horn use and the perception of horn use has completely changed.

I would estimate that 99% of horn use in the UK these days contravenes rule 112 of the Highway Code. Horns are used as a rebuke, as an aggressive response to perceived poor driving, as an intolerant expression of dissatisfaction and often as a demand for another road user to make way.

Someone pulls out from a junction in front of you? HOOONK! B$%#@~d!

Someone cuts you up in traffic? HOOONK! W$!@#r!

Someone dares to give a quick PARP to let you know they’re there? F#@% YOU, YOU F#@%ING !£$%@#*$@£#!!

Not very nice is it?

But how do we change things for the better? We’ve gone a long way down this road and it seems that horn use has changed permanently along with the perception of other people’s use of the horn. How could we possibly stop this descent and go back to appropriate and non-aggressive use of the horn?

Let’s go back to my earlier reference to offensive derogatory terms. These days, minority groups who have previously suffered abuse through certain words and expressions have started to “reclaim” the insulting words and terms by using them themselves, often in a self-deprecating manner which has resulted in the terms becoming less and less insulting.

I have to be careful here, as I’ve no intention of offending anyone, so I’ve had to think long and hard about which of these terms I can use as an example. I’ve chosen the word “queer”.

“Queer” was, for a long time, a word used predominantly as a derogatory term for gay people. It wasn’t always the case though – “queer”, as in “I’m feeling a bit queer” or “how queer” was a fairly normal word in everyday use many years ago, but over time, it became increasingly used as an insult or insulting nickname.

But then the gay community took the decision to “reclaim” the word by using it regularly within their social circles and as references to themselves to the extent that, over time, it became much less insulting and derogatory as a word. Queer has even become an academic term in reference to various aspects of LGBT studies, culture art and politics.

Many other words have gone through this “reclamation” process by various minority groups. If you think about it, reclaiming these words is a clever and inventive tactic to take the sting out of previously offensive language and put two fingers up at the bullys and bigots.

I’m sure you’re wondering where I’m going with this, so I’ll come back to the point.

It’s time for drivers in the UK to reclaim the horn!

We need to change our opinions about horn use and we need to at least try to change other people’s perception of horn use.

I’ve even come up with a tactic, which I’ve been using for a few months now and which seems to work quite nicely.

I’m using my horn much more regularly these days – always in appropriate circumstances where another road user may benefit – but much more often. The tactic, however, is to look for eye contact with the other road user – driver, cyclist, pedestrian – it doesn’t matter who, but when I sound the horn I look to catch the other person’s eye, and then I give them a cheery wave and a smile – as though I know them.

Nine and a half times out of ten, they’ll smile and wave back as though I’m their best mate! Instead of getting an aggressive response, two fingers or a mouthful of abuse, I get a cheerful – if sometimes slightly puzzled – smile and a wave back. It’s a much more positive response, and I’m then certain that I’ve got their attention and they are much less likely to do something careless or daft.

If we all start using this tactic, surely we can reclaim the horn for the purpose it is designed for?

Give it a go, and let me know what you think!
Reg

Author of "Advanced and Performance Driving" http://tinyurl.com/kx7cjby
R_U_LOCAL

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:16 pm

I agree with nearly every word of this. I do exactly as you do - horn to attract attention, cheery wave to take the sting out of it. I had a lovely occurrence the other day passing a driveway with a lady nosing out into the road, completely unsighted. She was taking it very easy. I moved to my right and hooted gently, she stopped; I waved, and got an acknowledging wave. She knew exactly why had I hooted, and appreciated the warning rather than being resentful. I went on my way with a lighter heart. That's pretty rare.

I use my horn far more now than I ever did as a "normal" driver. I hardly ever use it in contravention of rule 112 as a rebuke (OK sometimes I can't help it :oops: ).

Where I disagree is with inattentive lorries drifting to their right and about to kill someone (especially, me). In those cases my hand stays on the horn (particularly on motorways where ambient noise is that much louder) until either a reaction is observed, or I'm clear and safe. I fear a short toot will just be lost in the background.

I had occasion to use the horn for a similar purpose the other day when the driver in front executed a particularly obvious weave to his right (he'd been wobbling about for a while due to the mobile phone in his hand that was consuming most of his attention). I sincerely hope the traffic car following us recognised my warning for what it was and stopped him after I turned off up my street and left them together ...
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Ralge » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:24 pm

My delegate this afternoon was prompted initially but then found 2 more occasions to use his horn textbook-style and reported enjoying the experience - his honk had quite possibly encouraged an oncoming vehicle to stop and let us through.
So I'm with you on this one (and have been for years).
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Postby Silk » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:07 pm

R_U_LOCAL wrote:Let’s reclaim the horn!

As the horn is something I rarely use, I find that by the time I've got around to remembering where the horn is and how hard I should press it, the moment has passed and the hazard is behind me.

These days, the horn has gone the way of the headlight flash and is more likely to make the situation worse IMO, assuming that the other driver is able to hear you over whatever loud noise passes for music these days.
Silk

Postby akirk » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:50 pm

agree with the article - in the same way that there is an obvious difference between a quick flash of the headlights (seen to be polite and friendly / permissive) and a long, blast the other person with light type flash which is seen as a reprimand - so with the horn, never had an issue with a response to a brief tap of the horn for awareness - which is different to a long blast!

Alasdair
akirk

Postby 5star » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:04 am

Silk wrote:
As the horn is something I rarely use, I find that by the time I've got around to remembering where the horn is and how hard I should press it, the moment has passed and the hazard is behind me.

It doesn't help that manufacturers put the horn in an unintuitive place (the edge of the steering wheel centre, but not the centre because of the airbag, but without being an actual button, and being generally very hard to find and press the right spot). I'd much prefer it if they made the horn a proper button on the steering wheel, like one that operates the phone, stereo or cruise control.

I've used the horn mostly for warning pedestrians that look like they're going to step out in front of me, and it works well for this.

I've tended not to use it when overtaking a car on the assumption they won't hear the horn, and won't understand why I'm hooting even if they did hear it.
5star

Postby zadocbrown » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:27 am

Excellent post. Misuse of the horn is a pet hate of mine. Partly because I agree it leads to the horn not being used when it would really help.

A further thought: a quick double hoot seems to get a more positive response than a single hoot. I'm not sure why - possibly just because it's different from the regular w@nka blast.
zadocbrown

Postby TripleS » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:10 pm

http://www.maderaconcepts.com/NewSite/V ... 20Seat.jpg

This (now old fashioned) system used to make it easy to differentiate between a gentle toot and a loud blast. The more modern arrangements that I've encountered make it very difficult to do that.
TripleS

Postby Gromit37 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:43 pm

Whilst I agree with Reg's points, and I certainly use my horn in a similar manner... imagine how noisy many roads would be if everybody did it. A lot of busy residential areas would become a nightmare if everybody hooted when passing a stationary bus for example or pipped a car nosing out of a junction. Imagine if you lived near a busy road and the extra noise pollution you would suffer. And once everybody does it, it eventually becomes part of the background noise and people will start to ignore it. Which then defeats the object. Once people see it as acceptable to use the horn, suddenly it becomes acceptable to use it to attract the attention of a friend walking down the road, or when you pull up outside somebody's house, and again, it's ubiquity dulls it's intended impact.

Restrained, sensible use of the horn please.
Gromit37

Postby gannet » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:23 pm

Gromit37 wrote:Whilst I agree with Reg's points, and I certainly use my horn in a similar manner... imagine how noisy many roads would be if everybody did it. A lot of busy residential areas would become a nightmare if everybody hooted when passing a stationary bus for example or pipped a car nosing out of a junction. Imagine if you lived near a busy road and the extra noise pollution you would suffer. And once everybody does it, it eventually becomes part of the background noise and people will start to ignore it. Which then defeats the object. Once people see it as acceptable to use the horn, suddenly it becomes acceptable to use it to attract the attention of a friend walking down the road, or when you pull up outside somebody's house, and again, it's ubiquity dulls it's intended impact.

Restrained, sensible use of the horn please.

Just to illustrate your point...

Been to New York recently??

On arrival the overriding impression was horns being sounded every few seconds, god it was noisy... after a week we barely noticed...

Did notice the quiet when we arrived home though :D
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby revian » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:20 pm

TripleS wrote:http://www.maderaconcepts.com/NewSite/VehiclePages/vehicle_images/jaguar/1960%20Jaguar%20MKII%203.8%20Saloon/1960%20Jaguar%20MK%20II%20Dash%20from%20Drivers%20Seat.jpg

This (now old fashioned) system used to make it easy to differentiate between a gentle toot and a loud blast. The more modern arrangements that I've encountered make it very difficult to do that.

In my car it's pretty impossible to give a quick toot.... The pressure needed lends itself to long and thus loud blasts. So while I think about using it it's not very practical.

In years and cars gone by I might have taken the steering wheel apart and tampered with the horn button... But now... With all that grubbins... I'd probably do more harm than good.

Ian
Wirral
revian

Postby MGF » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:39 pm

Although I could probably use the horn more often I disagree with using long blasts of the horns to cyclists and pedestrians. I prefer slowing down and using lateral separation to using the horn when passing a bus or of a pedestrian is close to the edge of the footway.

On a motorway or among fast moving traffic, a long use of the horn is more appropriate.
MGF

Postby TR4ffic » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:36 pm

All very well issuing a long, pleasing blast on the horn on the approach to single track blind bends, blind junctions, hump-back bridges and the like but is the driver coming the other way in their hermetically sealed Euro-box with the radio on going to hear you anyway?
Riveting – The most fascinating job you could ever have..!

Nick
IAM Member since 1985
TR4ffic

Postby TripleS » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:07 am

TR4ffic wrote:All very well issuing a long, pleasing blast on the horn on the approach to single track blind bends, blind junctions, hump-back bridges and the like but is the driver coming the other way in their hermetically sealed Euro-box with the radio on going to hear you anyway?

The next generation of cars will automatically mute the radio when approaching such a situation. Is this not logical progress? :roll:
TripleS

Postby revian » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:23 am

TripleS wrote:
TR4ffic wrote:All very well issuing a long, pleasing blast on the horn on the approach to single track blind bends, blind junctions, hump-back bridges and the like but is the driver coming the other way in their hermetically sealed Euro-box with the radio on going to hear you anyway?

The next generation of cars will automatically mute the radio when approaching such a situation. Is this not logical progress? :roll:

Why? Surely the software, having been fed by the radar, will make all necessary adjustments. The passenger can just go on being, well... a passenger.

'Drivers? O yes! I remember them.' :roll:

Ian
Wirral
revian

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum