Some data...

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby martine » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:18 pm

So to get this right...in the first graph 'Huge' was consistently taking a sharper line than you...does that imply he's straighter for longer? And therefore quicker?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby gannet » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:46 am

interesting :D

thanks for posting that, I actually understood it :D
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby faboka » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:38 pm

Love this sort of thing. Thanks Dave
John
faboka

Postby Gromit37 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:43 am

That video reminds me of when the stressed one sat in my Caterham and tried guiding me round that course. Fortunately for me, there is no visual or electronic record of the event... SD was too polite to fall about laughing, at least until after I went home ;-)
Gromit37

Postby Gromit37 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:42 pm

Dave,

My questions are, and no offence intended to either party, genuinely interested... why do you think the differences exist? Is it nothing more than a 'blip' caused by unfamiliarity with the car, or a more fundamental difference in approach? I'm assuming that your lap was faster than Hugh's, and you admit you do more development driving, but does his general style of driving on the road differ to yours in the same way? I have never been driven by either of you, but have had training from you both via Cadence... and the two coaching styles felt very different.

Also, you mentioned a problem you have with your eyes at the moment? Sounds 'horrible. Not too serious I hope?

Regards

Gromit
Gromit37

Postby Gromit37 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:00 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure many would like to have your levels of incompetence (at least in driving terms, the rest you can keep). In terms of "limits of visibility", do you mean that Hugh would brake later or carry more speed around the first part of the bend? Please explain in simple terms... I'm a very simple person! Are you not keen on constant radius turns?

The neuralgia sounds bloody awful. Is it something that will improve over time?

If you need hitting with a baseball bat, feel free to ask... I'm happy to oblige! :wink:
Gromit37

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:00 pm

You assumed the grey fluffy stuff was brain ...
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Gromit37 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:07 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:You assumed the grey fluffy stuff was brain ...

You beat me to it :lol:

But hope all returns to normal , whatever that may be, asap.

When you're better, I'll book a few hours of your time on those lovely roads near you.

Gromit
Gromit37

Postby Horse » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:51 am

StressedDave wrote:
Gromit37 wrote:Thanks for the reply. I'm sure many would like to have your levels of incompetence (at least in driving terms, the rest you can keep). In terms of "limits of visibility", do you mean that Hugh would brake later or carry more speed around the first part of the bend? Please explain in simple terms... I'm a very simple person! Are you not keen on constant radius turns?

I mean he would be way, way better than me in approaching the maximum speed possible while still being able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear.

Since attending an AD day over a year ago, I've been working on two aspects of cornering:
- slowing earlier, and more
- getting the power on before any steering, then using power (albeit the 'power' of my 1.6TD SEAT :) ) to keep the car better balanced around the turn

Previously I would have been slowing later, entering corners faster, and applying power as I steered in - but feeling more 'sideways' movement of the car (and me) through the corner.

If Hugh is carrying speed into the bend, how does that 'fit' with using the power to balance the car? ???

Thanks,

H (just when he thought he was getting the hang of it, now even more confused than he was before . . . )
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:11 pm

For classic AD road driving, the "slow down, then turn" approach is the norm. For more advanced stuff, and for the track, carrying more speed into the corner, using trail braking to assist the turn, and changing from brakes to power as a faster transition, is more common. However it cuts the safety margin, and is therefore not normally taught as part of normal AD.

Hope this helps.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Horse » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:15 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:For classic AD road driving, the "slow down, then turn" approach is the norm. For more advanced stuff, and for the track, carrying more speed into the corner, using trail braking to assist the turn, and changing from brakes to power as a faster transition, is more common. However it cuts the safety margin, and is therefore not normally taught as part of normal AD.

Hope this helps.

Hang on, are you saying that I started the day really advanced, but ended it just 'advanced'? ???

Serious Q: using the trail braking, how is body roll and grip managed at the transition to drive?
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:29 pm

I'll let someone more advanced in the theory answer that. It's certainly necessary to manage it carefully. The transition is not a step change, but a tapering off of one phase and a ramping up of the other. The old Vic Elford "piece of string" maxim is often used here - string from steering wheel to big toe of right foot - you can only start applying power as you unwind the steering. The key is to recognise the point at which the curve opens up and the transition can be made.

Now I've said enough. We're in danger of getting back into the "lift-off understeer" discussion :)
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Gromit37 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:27 am

OK Dave, I probably missed something obvious, but I've got to ask... why the "huge" and "massive" monikers for Mr N?

I'm trying to figure out this cornering lark by using the accelerator earlier, steering less etc as per your advice. Feels great when you get it right (assuming I EVER get it right). You say it took you six years, but for the life of me, I STILL can't get round slow, tight corners without what feels like steering too much or not getting the steering off quickly enough. I may be getting on the power too soon, entering too fast... who knows. It's plain embarrassing for such a simple manoeuvre.

If only Mr Noblett was still just down the road from me. :(
Gromit37

Postby Horse » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:59 am

Hugh/'huge'?

I was introduced to this cornering technique in Jan last year.

Last week I went through a corner and it all flowed and 'worked'. Give it time :)
Horse

Postby TripleS » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:31 am

Not addressed to anybody in particular:

Just drive the damned car according to what feels secure and smooth, and have done with it. :P

Alternatively you could analyse the whole thing to death, and still never be happy with what you're doing.

Best wishes all,
Dave - blissfully ignorant. 8)
Last edited by TripleS on Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TripleS

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum