HPC or IAM Masters?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby EdgarF » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:01 pm

I have been RoADA Gold for many a year (longer than I care to remember) and also hold the Diploma, but would now like to take my driving up to the next level. What would you recommend? Is IAM Masters the next logical step? Or would I be better off investing in HPC? Or indeed is there anything else out there? (I am not a police officer so no, police advanced is not an option!) Any views would be very welcome to help me in making up my mind.
EdgarF

Postby akirk » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:57 pm

Having been an IAM member for 17 years, and having just taken the High Performance Course (http://www.high-performance-course.com/) with Andy Morrison (one of the course managers) I couldn't recommend it more - it was a fantastic course.

I think the difference (my perception - may not be accurate) is that:
- the IAM Masters is about getting to that level - the Masters is the achievement...
- the HPC course is more, it is a) about getting to the level the course expects, but a lot of it is also about attitude and journey - an awareness that while at the end of the course you are (hopefully!) driving at a certain level, it is also opening the door onto a personal journey of development...

I certainly found that while my driving improved considerably I also became aware of huge potential to improve and that to me is the real gain - that I can see a route ahead to keep learning.

So, if for someone it were simply about achieving a bit of paper then the Masters is a better route - the HPC course doesn't offer you that 'formal qualification' - but if it is about learning, learning, learning - then the HPC course is a far better option...

Alasdair
akirk

Postby MGF » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:37 pm

I can't comment on either of the courses you mention but I do believe there isn't a logical step based on prior achievements but a best step for you dependant on what you want to achieve from further investment of your time and money.
MGF

Postby martine » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:49 pm

I think they are different things and a big difference in cost.

IAM Masters is about driving to a reasonably high-level and is very much roadcraft based (or at least it's meant to be). Once you've passed Masters there is nothing more the IAM can formally offer - apart from the need to renew it every 5 years.

HPC extends that and is more flexible and of course if successful gains you entry to the club - whereupon you can continue the journey to ever more lofty heights.

I mentioned costs and I would be the last to suggest that should be high on your priorities when choosing but just for completeness:

IAM Master costs £129 - £249 depending on whether you are an existing IAM member and if you need mentoring or just the test.

HPC entry is normally 2.5 days full time with a driving coach (done as an initial ½ day then if all is good a 2 day session sometime later) including a few hours on-track as well. As you can imagine that costs considerably more than Masters.

Do both?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Stephen » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:52 pm

Can I just ask is the HPC done on road and if so is it to the speed limit, or is it off road with the emphasis on Handling ability speed and attitude towards progressive driving.
Stephen
Stephen

Postby akirk » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:11 pm

Stephen wrote:Can I just ask is the HPC done on road and if so is it to the speed limit, or is it off road with the emphasis on Handling ability speed and attitude towards progressive driving.
Stephen

primarily on road - but with some 'off-road' handling (I went to Bruntingthorpe for this)
the HPC course wouldn't expect you to drive above the posted speed limit and certainly in my experience the challenge was increased by finding trickier roads, not by just upping the speed on open roads...

you can be progressive within the speed limits

of course - how you drive is your choice ;)

Alasdair
akirk

Postby zadocbrown » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:14 pm

EdgarF wrote:I have been RoADA Gold for many a year (longer than I care to remember) and also hold the Diploma, but would now like to take my driving up to the next level. What would you recommend? Is IAM Masters the next logical step? Or would I be better off investing in HPC? Or indeed is there anything else out there? (I am not a police officer so no, police advanced is not an option!) Any views would be very welcome to help me in making up my mind.

Well it depends. You may find Masters to be quite similar to what you have already done, though it does give the opportunity to really stretch yourself within a familiar framework. High performance course is a slightly different kettle of fish, have a good look at the posted link to the website. It's more geared to performance road driving, roadcraft based but with some extra bits. You are not required to break the speed limit, but you will be expected to make brisk progress on challenging roads where the speed limit is less inhibiting. If that doesn't float your boat you could ask one of the course providers to do a bespoke course for you.

In the short term, if you say where you are geographically, someone who has done both will probably offer to go for a drive and a chat with you. That would help you decide. Or come to a driving day!
zadocbrown

Postby Gareth » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:17 pm

zadocbrown wrote:if you say where you are geographically

His introductory post says West Sussex; I'm not sure who'd best fit the bill.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby EdgarF » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:20 pm

Thank you for your posts. From what I have read, I am coming down in favour of the HPC route. My only problem now is in getting Mrs F to agree on the outlay. Well, I have a birthday coming up in a few months, so who knows. I am in West Sussex if there is anyone in HPC in this neck of the woods.
EdgarF

Postby zadocbrown » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:28 pm

If nobody volunteers have a look at the mentoring thread and contact someone on there.
zadocbrown

Postby skodatezzer » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:35 pm

PM sent.
IAM National Observer. Chair, E. Surrey IAM.
skodatezzer

Postby jcochrane » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:37 pm

Having done Masters, RoADA and HPC my view would be that you will find Masters is basically what you have already done but being more consistent with getting it right under a test scenario. There is nothing new to learn. At the end of the day it is only another certificate to hang on the wall. Albeit a well deserved award.

You say you want to go to the next level which suggests to me that not only do you want to take what you already do to a better standard but would want to expand your knowledge and experience and to take your driving journey as far as you can without the limits that tend to exist within the tests run by the IAM or RoADA.

If I am right then I believe you will gain much by looking at the link for the High Performance Course and at least taking a half day with one of the two Course Managers. Both are highly rated coaches and I am confident that a half day with either will open up new and much broader horizons for you to aim for than you might realise. HPC provides the opportunity for continuous development in your driving life that in my view is unequalled.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby jcochrane » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:01 am

Stephen wrote:Can I just ask is the HPC done on road and if so is it to the speed limit, or is it off road with the emphasis on Handling ability speed and attitude towards progressive driving.
Stephen

The course is all about road driving. The two consecative days driving part of the course does include a bit of off road training to learn and practice car control (rather than limit handling) in a safe environment which would not be possible on public roads. It is not about numbers on a speedo. but about the quality of driving.
jcochrane

Postby waremark » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:53 pm

If you persuade Mrs F that the cost of High Performance Course training is great value (it is) then getting the endorsement of an IAM Masters certificate afterwards should be a piece of cake! (I went for Mentored Masters, and in consequence my Mentor was motivated to go and take training from Andy Morrison).

Excellent though I am sure some of the Masters mentors are, the two High Performance Course coaches will be in a different league - and outstandingly good.
waremark

Postby jcochrane » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:38 pm

waremark wrote: then getting the endorsement of an IAM Masters certificate afterwards should be a piece of cake! .

I can testify to this having achieved Distinction on my Masters without any extra training or mentoring.
jcochrane

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum