Masters question

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby oxtondriver » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:02 pm

I am looking at doing the IAM Masters with mentoring in the near future and I'm after a little advice.
I currently work a 4 on 4 off permanent night shift pattern. This means I only get two full weekends off in eight which is committed to my family. Most of my other days off are taken looking after my two year old boy. However I would be able to attend one mentored session a month.

My question is would doing only one session a month be acceptable to the mentor and the IAM. And would a month gap between each session effect my progress.

I don't want to pay my money and find that I can't commit to what is expected.

All advice welcome.

Many thanks
Kris
IAM 22/09/2008 (Wirral Group)
Rospa Gold 14/01/2014 (Merseyside Group).
Ford Focus ST
oxtondriver

Postby WhoseGeneration » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:27 pm

oxtondriver wrote:I am looking at doing the IAM Masters with mentoring in the near future and I'm after a little advice.
I currently work a 4 on 4 off permanent night shift pattern. This means I only get two full weekends off in eight which is committed to my family. Most of my other days off are taken looking after my two year old boy. However I would be able to attend one mentored session a month.

My question is would doing only one session a month be acceptable to the mentor and the IAM. And would a month gap between each session effect my progress.

I don't want to pay my money and find that I can't commit to what is expected.

All advice welcome.

Many thanks
Kris

I'd just contact and ask, explaining your situation.
Of course, that month between sessions would give you plenty of time to work on any comments from your mentor.
Then, with your current level, it's likely you'd not need many sessions.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby akirk » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:51 pm

In the recent course I did (not masters) I found that 2-3 weeks between sessions flew by in terms of practising and was perhaps not enough, so I suspect that 4 weeks could work well - a lot might depend on how well you get on with your mentor... definitely worth asking...

Alasdair
akirk

Postby Stephen » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:46 am

I have mentored a number of Observers for Masters and doing one at the moment from Warrington I would say that we are doing a session about 3 to 4 weeks apart, which is not that long, I would say as long as you committ to your once a month and during the time between sessions you try and complete any tasks that are given to you in relation to work that needs to be done on your drive then you shouldnt have a problem.
I normally do 4hr sessions each time and dependant on your drive,I normally look at 4 to 5 sessions, hope this helps.
Stephen

Postby oxtondriver » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:27 pm

Hi Gents,

Thank you for the replies. I myself thought that a 4 week gap would be a good opportunity to practice and work on things that need to be worked on. I'm glad others support that view.

I have e-mailed the IAM asking what their stance on it is. I await their reply.

Many thanks

Kris.
Ford Focus ST
oxtondriver

Postby martine » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:30 pm

One thing worth mentioning is...if someone pays for Masters and then is clearly not up to the required standard after the first drive, the mentor can request a refund.

I'm not suggesting this would be the case for you but it might be easier to sign up for Masters and when you're allocated an mentor go through the logistics with them and if you're it's not going to work, I'm sure you'd get a refund. Some mentors (which are unpaid) are more flexible than others but it has to work for both of you.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby oxtondriver » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:23 pm

Thanks for the input Martin. I forgot about the refund option. I'll bare that in mind. Still waiting for a response from the IAM.

Many thanks
Kris
Ford Focus ST
oxtondriver

Postby Stephen » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:17 am

You should have your reply off me, hopefully the IAM will get back to you soon with the answer that you are wanting.
Stephen
Stephen

Postby pete g » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:58 pm

Are you really sure you need a mentor?
I notice you have Rospa Gold and ADUK... etc and a FoST.. I have FiST ;-)
Have you got any good Adv drivers in your area? Sure to I would think...

In our group lots of us have done Masters to high level with mutual coaching..

Its only Roadcraft after all...? Plus save some hard earned £ :-)
Br1stol IAM Observer
IAM Motorcycle
MSA - Bristol Pegasus MC.
pete g

Postby Stephen » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:13 pm

Peteg,
Can I just ask did you all get distinctions or a pass just curious .
Stephen
Stephen

Postby martine » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:59 pm

Stephen wrote:Peteg,
Can I just ask did you all get distinctions or a pass just curious .
Stephen

The first 4 all got distinction through mentoring each other, since then 4 out of 5 also got distinction with only one having 'external' mentoring.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby MrToad » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:54 pm

I wonder if one of the reasons our informal in-group mentoring worked so well was the way it was organised.

'Mentees' got to drive with all four of the original 'Mentor' group, so hopefully were exposed to a range of approaches and experiences. It also reduced the chances of an individual Mentor's (well, mine actually) particular foibles and hobbyhorses having too much influence.
Do less, better.
MrToad

Postby Silk » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:02 pm

MrToad wrote:I wonder if one of the reasons our informal in-group mentoring worked so well was the way it was organised.

I think you know the answer to that. :D
Silk

Postby Stephen » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:35 pm

Thanks for the answer
Stephen

Postby oxtondriver » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:36 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the input.
I have had a response from the IAM. And they agree that 1 session a month is favourable. They state plenty on time to practice and read.

Mutual mentoring is a very good idea. And I have had a very generous offer that I have kindly accepted I won't be able to start for a little while yet but I'm very much looking forward to it.

Thank you so much for all your input I very much appreciate it.

Kris.
oxtondriver

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum