Finally starting my IAM journey

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby IcedKiwi » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:49 pm

After period of inaction (my last practical AD learning experience was a drive out with jcochrane in November 2013), in which time I managed to have a child, I have finally started my AD journey through the IAM (almost). I asked my parents to get me the SfL package for my birthday a few weeks ago and currently going through the HTBABD book. Haven't heard from the group yet, but though I would read through the book first to refresh my roadcraft before contacting them myself if I haven't heard in the meantime.

Any other ADUKers part of the Worthing group?
IcedKiwi

Postby EdgarF » Tue May 05, 2015 9:54 am

Have you heard from your Group now?
EdgarF

Postby IcedKiwi » Tue May 05, 2015 12:08 pm

EdgarF wrote:Have you heard from your Group now?

Yes - I heard from my Observer last weekend (10 days ago) and he quickly organised the first run for last week. Nice friendly chap, although he couldn't work out why I had been assigned him as we were at opposite ends of the catchment area and so I was ~35 minutes away from the meeting point. At the end of the drive we agreed that he would get in touch with the members secretary to see if anyone closer was available, I have since been assigned a new closer observer and I thought it's always good to get more viewpoints on my driving.

It was generally a very good experience, although he didn't make as many comments as I might have expected. Not sure whether it was just because it was our first drive and he was seeing where I was or if my expectations were wrong for the observers role (versus a "driving coach"). For example I thought he would have made some comments about a borderline overtaking opportunity (It was downhill NSL, open sighted, nothing coming and car in front was doing 50, but expected him to increase speed going downhill) where I might have expected him to either confirm that I was right to hold back or if he would have taken it, encouraged me to get out and have a look etc. Maybe I should have given a intermittent commentary on interesting bits like that to explain what I was thinking - Although the basic commentary that I did give when asked was (rightly/wrongly?) more to do with observation/links rather than my driving thought process (are they different things?).
At the end of the drive he said he was impressed by my smooth driving and just a few things to work on, mainly commentary and road signs (I said bumpy road surface not uneven road surface, deer on the road vs wild animals). He didn't call up many driving relating things.
He asked if I was unhappy with any parts of the drive, I called up a strange shape roundabout which tightened half way round and I thought I was going too fast for that bit and swung round off the accelerator - He said he didn't notice. I also said I thought there was an issue with my gear changes coming on to (mainly faster) roundabouts where I feel like I'm steering with one hand (pushing up with my right) on the small left bend on approach to a lot of roundabouts whilst selecting the gear to go onto the roundabout - He said he didn't notice there was a problem and I was just nit-picking.
I guess that I signed up for this website, like I guess a lot of you, because I'm interested in nit picking my driving and trying to get the best out of it. Maybe my expectations of the IAM sfl is wrong but hopefully he was just taking it easy on me as it was the first drive and wants me to enjoy myself, feel comfortable and come back?

A few "odd" things struck me, some of which I've mentioned elsewhere: No talking to the examiner about non-related driving things, ask him to postpone until later. Stay off the cats eyes (Think it was either exiting a left bend or mid right-hand bend on a 40 limit, nothing coming towards and I used a bit of the middle of the road to reduce the radius. It was early on when I was getting in to the swing of things so I didn't question him and get further clarification if it was the circumstances I went over them or if it was a blanket ban.

But I've got a new observer now so I'll see how the next drive goes and see if it varies in style.
IcedKiwi

Postby akirk » Tue May 05, 2015 1:42 pm

agree - that observer doesn't sound ideal!
will be interesting to see the comparison

Alasdair
akirk

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue May 05, 2015 4:07 pm

Cats-eyes are not the greatest surface to have your wheels on - the white lines and the cats-eye covers are slippery, and it's noisy and bumpy. If there is a double white line, by the time your wheels are on the cats-eyes, you have effectively "straddled" the white line, which technically is an offence. Any of this may have been in his mind.

HTH
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby martine » Tue May 05, 2015 5:07 pm

Many Observers will be pretty gentle on the first drive. What's more concerning is the "didn't notice that" comment when you raised a particular issue. Hopefully you'll get on with your new Obs better.

PS. 35 mins travelling to your Obs is not unusual - even in the Bristol group we seem to have an unbalanced number of Obs in the North of our area - meaning some Southern associates have to travel. It's much worse in unpopulated areas like Scotland and Mid-Wales.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby IcedKiwi » Wed May 06, 2015 1:27 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Cats-eyes are not the greatest surface to have your wheels on - the white lines and the cats-eye covers are slippery, and it's noisy and bumpy. If there is a double white line, by the time your wheels are on the cats-eyes, you have effectively "straddled" the white line, which technically is an offence. Any of this may have been in his mind.
HTH

I can't quite remember where it occurred, but looking back on street view, it might have been on a double white line system which would explain it - I should have asked for further clarification. I guess the best way to get most out of it is to question to understand the reasons rather than just accept what I'm told.

martine wrote:Many Observers will be pretty gentle on the first drive.

I think there was definitely some of this at play. He mentioned his last associate got a F1rst and wasn't starting from a great base, so I don't doubt that he is a capable observer.
martine wrote:PS. 35 mins travelling to your Obs is not unusual - even in the Bristol group we seem to have an unbalanced number of Obs in the North of our area - meaning some Southern associates have to travel. It's much worse in unpopulated areas like Scotland and Mid-Wales.

I appreciate that and would have continued with him, but thought it was worth asking the question to see if there had been a valid reason behind it such as being the only currently available observer.
IcedKiwi

Postby EdgarF » Wed May 06, 2015 1:59 pm

Glad to hear that you finally got to drive with an observer, although it seemed to me that they were taking an unreasonable amount of time organising someone for you.

Re your observer's comments about 'staying off the cats' eyes.' I remember that my first advanced driving instructor (back in 1985 - yes it was a long time ago) mentioned the same thing to me. He told me the reason for not going over them is that they can work loose. Apparently someone had been killed not long before then whilst following another car. The car in front had run over a cat's eye, dislodging it and sending it flying up so that it hit the windscreen of the following vehicle with fatal consequences for the unfortunate driver.
EdgarF

Postby EdgarF » Wed May 06, 2015 2:10 pm

IcedKiwi wrote:

I also said I thought there was an issue with my gear changes coming on to (mainly faster) roundabouts where I feel like I'm steering with one hand (pushing up with my right) on the small left bend on approach to a lot of roundabouts whilst selecting the gear to go onto the roundabout

I was always told that it is perfectly acceptable to corner and change gears at the same time (for example on a long sweeping bend) as long as you are not also steering. In other words the steering wheel should be fixed; your hands not shuffling or turning the wheel whilst trying to change gear at the same time. From your description, you might like to try fixing the steering for the roundabout entrance first, then change gear. Or if you get an early view into the roundabout and can see that it is clear, change gear early whilst on the straight.
EdgarF

Postby EdgarF » Wed May 06, 2015 2:26 pm

IcedKiwi wrote:

For example I thought he would have made some comments about a borderline overtaking opportunity (It was downhill NSL, open sighted, nothing coming and car in front was doing 50, but expected him to increase speed going downhill) where I might have expected him to either confirm that I was right to hold back or if he would have taken it, encouraged me to get out and have a look etc. Maybe I should have given a intermittent commentary on interesting bits like that to explain what I was thinking -

If he was doing 50 mph, then you would only have 10 mph to play with on a NSL single carriageway road. I have faced the same sort of situation on a RoSPA test. Having matched speed with the vehicle in front 'I piped up' (because I was not commentating at the time) and told the examiner that since there was only 10 mph to play with, on that stretch of road it was not feasible to complete a safe and legal overtake. He must have been happy, because he gave me a Gold.

Of course, if it had been a very long and clear straight, then I could have gone for the overtake. On a separate occasion I did ask our chief examiner what would happen in that sort of a situation if the vehicle in front had then decided to speed up to try and prevent me overtaking. He said that there are no legal exemptions in law allowing you to temporarily break the speed limit in order to 'blow the b******* away'! You would just have to hang back and exercise restraint, or fail the test if you decided to go for it and broke the speed limit. Unfortunately a lot of untrained drivers nowadays view overtaking as antisocial behaviour and also think that NSL for cars and motorcycles is 50 mph on single carriageways. They then stupidly try to prevent other drivers passing them in the mistaken belief that they are upholding the law. If on test, it is always worth telling the examiners what you are doing and why so that they can understand the logic of your actions, particularly when faced with other drivers who act in such a fashion.
EdgarF

Postby fengpo » Wed May 06, 2015 6:02 pm

Only bit of advice I can give, is practice as much as you can. Relax on test day, just another run. I'm sure it'll be fine, if a bozo like me can get a first. There is hope for all doing IAM SfL.

Been thinking next formal step for me will be masters. If anyone on the forum would be kind enough to help me prepare for the test. My local group seems a bit long in the tooth with driving. So I don't want to spend the extra money to not get too much out of it.

Like the idea of Rospa (my examiner was chairman of Hereford Rospa) about an hour away from me. But I know that a knowledgeable ex traf pol has made sure the observers are doing it for the right reasons. I may even pass the Rospa test straight away without any observed runs. If I keep my driving to the same standard.
fengpo

Postby IcedKiwi » Thu May 07, 2015 9:25 am

EdgarF wrote:Glad to hear that you finally got to drive with an observer, although it seemed to me that they were taking an unreasonable amount of time organising someone for you.

It turned out there was an error on the main database which meant my membership hadn't been activated properly (even though I had a number) and so my local group never got the notification to say there was a new associate waiting. Once we sorted that out it was pretty quick to be honest.
I also heard from my new observer last night and we've arranged to go out for a drive this evening, so I'm pretty happy with the efficiency of the group!

Thanks for the other tips, I'll try some of them out and see how it feels.
fengpo wrote: I'm sure it'll be fine, if a bozo like me can get a first. There is hope for all doing IAM SfL.

I'll book in my test for next week then, must be a walk in the park! :wink: :lol:
IcedKiwi

Postby IcedKiwi » Thu May 07, 2015 10:09 am

StressedDave wrote:Remember you've had 1.5 days with the Huge Noblett - the test may not be too much of a stretch.

Yup that's true, but it was before I was even aware of the IAM or Roadcraft so I don't think I got as much out of it as I could have done if I was doing it now. I need to get myself on another project that requires me to drive project vehicles so I can get some more driver training!
IcedKiwi

Postby TripleS » Thu May 07, 2015 1:46 pm

StressedDave wrote:
EdgarF wrote:Re your observer's comments about 'staying off the cats' eyes.' I remember that my first advanced driving instructor (back in 1985 - yes it was a long time ago) mentioned the same thing to me. He told me the reason for not going over them is that they can work loose. Apparently someone had been killed not long before then whilst following another car. The car in front had run over a cat's eye, dislodging it and sending it flying up so that it hit the windscreen of the following vehicle with fatal consequences for the unfortunate driver.

Actually, it was the passenger - the HA contractor hadn't grouted it in properly and a cast iron cat's eye does a lot of damage. I'm pretty sure it's one of the reasons they're moving to little plastic ones.

Hm, I wonder if the following driver would have been able to dodge the missile if he had not been wearing a seat belt.

Mass produced castings may be relatively cheap, but they are pretty chunky things, so I thought they probably changed to plastic on cost grounds. In any case, were there not other detail changes as well that made the complete unit much simpler and lighter?

Incidentally, the cat's eyes have recently been removed from several stretches of road around the Whitby and Scarborough area, and this morning somebody told me that it was done to accommodate the cycle race (Tour de Yorkshire!) that was in the area last Friday. Could that be true? Is it really justified to temporarily remove and later reinstate cat's eyes, no doubt at very considerable cost, just for a bloody cycle race? I'd say not, and certainly I've never heard of it being done previously. Still, true to form, the public sector has plenty of money to spend on all the wrong things. :evil: :evil:
TripleS

Postby Astraist » Thu May 07, 2015 6:13 pm

Dave, I think Dave ( :lol: ) meant that the driver would possibly be able of ducking under the dashboard line to avoid the impact, had he not fastened the seatbelt.

My thinking is that moving the body in such a way cannot go without some movement in the steering, not to mention that the car might as well deviate due to the blow itself.

This in turn might as well lead to an impact with other road users and/or the scenery which, without the seatbelt, would be just as severe...

And I have yet to encounter such a reaction before a collision...
Astraist

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum