Taxi driver reversed into my car (How could I have avoided?)

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby space » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:11 pm

Hello

I am enthusiastically learning commentary driving (I have Chris Gilbert's Roadcraft DVDs) and wonder how I could have prevented this accident (in Australia):

I was turning right on a two-way carriageway (2 lanes each way) into a public car park. While half-way across the road and at a slow speed before traversing the gutter, a taxi that had stopped about ten metres to the right (in the bus lane) started reversing unexpectedly. I immediately depressed the horn for a continuous five seconds or so (a long time!), but he nevertheless continued reversing right into the front right side of my car. I remained stationary.
:oops:
I've thought of two things:
1) I could have made special note of the taxi's presence prior to making the turn (as its presence in the bus zone probably means he's in transition for a pick up/drop off?) and asked myself, "What's he doing?" [but I didn't really take note of the taxi's presence as it didn't seem relevant to my turning into the car park],
2) I (maybe) could have reversed somewhat when I realised he was reversing towards me (if I'd had better situational awareness), but was fixated on simply watching the taxi vehicle reverse while sounding my horn. But the danger would have been reversing into traffic unless my situational awareness was out of this world o_0

It happened at a very slow speed while I was still in the road (awkward!), and it seemed almost impossible to prevent. I was doing my commentary driving, but I can't help but think it wouldn't have happened to Chris Gilbert. I wonder how he would have dealt with this situation. Possibly number 1) above?

Thank you for any feedback/comments.
:mrgreen:
space

Postby MGF » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:52 pm

I doubt I would have anticipate the taxi reversing from that position either. Something I have been thinking thinking more about recently are hazards in the road I am turning into and the footway across the mouth of the junction so i don't have to slow on the main carriageway as I am turning and can accelerate if necessary. I presume you couldn't make the turn more quickly if you contemplated stopping and reversing.
MGF

Postby space » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:37 am

Thank you for your comments, MGF.

To clarify, my car was travelling at a walking pace just prior to traversing the gutter of the footpath into the carpark, at which time I realised the taxi was reversing from where it had stopped in the bus zone. So as soon as I realised the taxi was reversing in my direction, I stopped my vehicle while still on the road (taking up lane 1 and 2 of the carriageway (the taxi having stopped in lane 1)) - so I ended up being completely stationary just before entering the 'dip' of the gutter, and remained stationary throughout the entire five or so seconds of my continuous horn warning sound, hopelessly watching the taxi reverse into my vehicle.

I guess it's a really tricky situation and pretty unusual, but I'm trying hard to learn from it because I think I should have been able to avoid it, tricky as it was for me.

I really appreciate any comments. I like this stuff for some strange reason! ~ Thank you ~
space

Postby Gareth » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:08 pm

It's hard to work out the timing but, I wonder, what would have happened if, instead of stopping, you'd accelerated briefly into the car-park?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby space » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:02 am

Thank you, Gareth.

That's a good comment! Actually I never really thought about accelerating into the carpark as an option; I really was just fixated on what the taxi was doing, and on sounding my horn. Your comment has helped me think about "stepping back" from the situation (like a relaxed/open focus way of paying attention) in such situations, so that I am able to calmly make a quick assessment of all my available options (as opposed to the problem of fixing my attention on the very thing I'm trying to avoid - the taxi!). It reminds me of how you see these car accidents in the country, and there is all this space, but the car ends up being destroyed by a tree - likely because our eyes naturally look at objects - rather than the space around objects - and hence the car tends to go where we are looking. Just a thought.

---I've given this some more thought-- :

If I accelerated once I noticed the taxi reversing, I may not have been able to clear his path in time, and I think for insurance payouts it is likely better to be stationary when hit, rather than moving. And he was parked only about 10 metres forward from the entrance to the car park. Yes, as you said, the timing is hard to work out! I'm still trying to work it out :roll:

I think I did the right thing by stopping *when I did* once I noticed the taxi reversing, but if I could rewind the tapes and play the scenario over again, I would try to make the following observational adjustment:

1) I would take special note of the taxi's presence as soon as possible and well in advance of where I would turn right into the driveway, and include in my commentary what the taxi looks like he's doing (pick up?/drop off?) [such as saying, "What's he doing?"] - especially since he was illegally stopped in a bus zone (indicating he is likely to move from that position ASAP),

2) With this extra time to think and act from better observation and commentary, I would try to ensure my vehicle does not cross into his reversing space, should he reverse unexpectedly (in other words, I would keep my eye on what he is doing and remain clear of his 'potential' reversing space until 100% sure he's not going to start reversing).

By doing 1) and 2) above, I THINK I could have stopped shy of where I did and hopefully avoided the collision to the front right side of my vehicle.

I never thought driving into my pharmacy carpark could be so complicated :|

Thank you again for your comments,
Have a great day :mrgreen:
space

Return to Advanced Driving Forum