Why does the IAM not have a re-test and grading system

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby Gareth » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:52 pm

jbsportstech wrote:If you want it why not join rospa thats what I did.

Probably because living in Linslade, the nearest group is the IAM group for drivers and riders in Milton Keynes, and the next nearest group is RoADAR in Bedford, (apparently for drivers only), and that is considerably further away.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Octy_Ross » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:57 pm

Gareth wrote:Probably because living in Linslade, the nearest group is the IAM group for drivers and riders in Milton Keynes, and the next nearest group is RoADAR in Bedford, (apparently for drivers only), and that is considerably further away.

I live just off J15 of the M1 and have just joined the Bedford group....apparently I got special mention when they were thinking about a "tutor" for me as I'm the farthest from their door!

P'rhaps you could join also and give them 2 headaches :-D

I'm currently a member of MKAM.
Octy_Ross

Postby stevo8851 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:23 am

as with other posts, here's my two-pence worth.........

is there a need to be 'periodically' tested on your advanced driving/riding skill??? open to debate, we all have different views. From my point of view i'll say this:

IAM state their case as ''A SKILL FOR LIFE'' I agree. Once you have undertaken advanced driving/riding and been tested, its a skill for life. If the individual doesn't continue to ride/drive defensively then it is purely down to the individual not putting his/her training into practice, IT IS NOT DOWN TO SKILL FADE!! if the individual isn't putting this skill into practice, what difference does taking a test every three years do?????

RosPA re-test every three years, what are you retested on? the same, to see what? that you are still driving defensively, there is no new criteria to be met, defensive/advance driving once taught is extanct, theres no new phase to be taught after a few years.

My own personal belief (and Im not asking to or going to get involved in a debate) is that RoSPA has an element of elitism about it, due to certain elements within the organisation.

With regard to the grading system..... how exactly does that work?? if you undertake and pass an advanced riders/drivers course, then you are an advanced rider/driver, thats it!! I dont see that there could be three grades to offer, either you are an advanced rider/driver or not. So are RoSPA saying that a bronze certificate holder is not as good a defensive rider/driver as a silver or gold, but they all took and passed the same test standard.
I am a better defensive rider/driver than some(better driver to be honest) , others are much better than me, BUT WE ARE ALL DEFENSIVE RIDERS/DRIVERS WHO HAVE UNDERTAKEN AND MET THE ''SAME CRITERIA'' TO BE CALLED ADVANCED RIDERS/DRIVERS!

I have associations with IAM & RoSPA and do think they are both excellent organisations, however I do have a problem with this element of constant re-testing of the same tests standard, after all, its not like were all in the police force where your expected to undergo constant assessments of your training.................
STEVO
DDTI
RoSPA BTEC level3 adv dvg instr
I.A.M's
stevo8851

Postby ROG » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:08 am

stevo8851 wrote:I have associations with IAM & RoSPA and do think they are both excellent organisations, however I do have a problem with this element of constant re-testing of the same tests standard, after all, its not like were all in the police force where your expected to undergo constant assessments of your training.................

I agree with your point on TESTING but surely regular ASSESSMENTS are a good thing :?:
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby stevo8851 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:56 pm

good point well presented...
regular assessments would certainly help those who wish to 'clarify' that they have not become 'stale' over a period of time..... i just think its a bit of (wont say con) ''situation'' to have to pay every three years to be able to say you are still a RoSPA advanced rider/driver.
STEVO
DDTI
RoSPA BTEC level3 adv dvg instr
I.A.M's
stevo8851

Postby martine » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:34 pm

Or become an IAM Observer - that way you:
a) raise your driving to the next level
b) get regular retests
c) give something back to the group that trained you
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Red Herring » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:40 pm

martine wrote:

Or become an IAM Observer - that way you:
a) raise your driving to the next level
b) get regular retests
c) give something back to the group that trained you

Regular riding with other members of any IAM group generally provide all of this as well.
Red Herring

Postby MikeA » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:37 am

And if the ROSPA 3-year test are not enough for you, then join the League of Safe Drivers (from whom ROSPA evolved) and have an annual test, with numeric grading.

By definition, these are smaller voluntary groups, without a large admin staff to back up the service.
MikeA

Postby martine » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:10 am

MikeA wrote:And if the ROSPA 3-year test are not enough for you, then join the League of Safe Drivers (from whom ROSPA evolved) and have an annual test, with numeric grading.

By definition, these are smaller voluntary groups, without a large admin staff to back up the service.

Do you have any contact details for 'the league'? I've googled and only found historical references and nothing current.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby MikeA » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:25 pm

Martin,

Try the following link:

http://www.motorskill.org.uk/

This particular group is based in West London, which was where I met them. There may also be others around the country.

Peter Rodger, the present IAM Chief Examiner, was formerly the Chief Examiner of this group when he was serving in the constabulary.
MikeA

Postby malc » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:14 pm

The IAM pass is equivelant to a ROSPA silver if you wish to be graded then you can undertake a special assesment that will then be marked.
DSA registered ADI
IAM registered Advanced Instuctor
Red Badge Observer
Green Badge Senior Observer
malc

Postby SeanP » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:37 pm

malc wrote:if you wish to be graded then you can undertake a special assesment that will then be marked.

I've just passed AD test with IAM (a week and a bit ago), and was informed that if I wanted to 'set myself a higher target', I could go for this 'special assessment' (thanks for reminding me of the term -- I'd forgotten it!).

Is that a new thing?

AFAICT, there's not 'pass or fail', and the outcome doesn't affect the IAM membership.
Long-term Roadcraft addict :) IAM (3/2009), RoSPA Gold (3/2010)
Mazda RX-8 R3. (Gone but not forgotten: Mazda RX-8 231PS, RIP 28/08/2009).
RX8 Owners Club, Youtube track-day vids
SeanP

Postby ROG » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:19 am

SeanP wrote:
malc wrote:if you wish to be graded then you can undertake a special assesment that will then be marked.

I've just passed AD test with IAM (a week and a bit ago), and was informed that if I wanted to 'set myself a higher target', I could go for this 'special assessment' (thanks for reminding me of the term -- I'd forgotten it!).

Is that a new thing?

AFAICT, there's not 'pass or fail', and the outcome doesn't affect the IAM membership.

I've done the IAM SA in 2006 and cost me £60 - well worth it IMO.

You start with 100% (perfect driver) before you get in the vehicle then start losing points :lol:

I was informed that this 'test' is the highest that a civilian can get to having their own driving judged against that of a police traffic driver - I'll leave others to decide whether that is correct or not............

I was 'trained' for the SA by one of our local IAM examiners. This was recommended by our area Staff examiner (I know he is a member on here - Hello) who informed me that without doing so is very likely to lead to a low percentage score on the SA.

The SA is done by a Staff examiner out of the drivers normal 'comfort zone' so be prepared to travel a way to do it.

The SA requires a full commentary for the whole test - getting a dry mouth is normal :roll: :lol:

I got 84% (which is not too bad) as well as a written report. I also had an expansion of certain points from the staff examiner by e-mail after I had asked a few questions.

I have posted the full report on my SA as well as the extra points on this site somewhere - I think it was with another site members ROSPA driving diploma report.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Red Herring » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:36 am

To achieve a score of 84% on a car SA is very good indeed, however that would be an exceptional score in the much more technical and demanding world of motorcycling.... :wink:
Red Herring

Postby malc » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:19 am

Hi Sean well done on passing the advanced test, to take the special assessment test you need to have held the advanced test for at least 12 months.
DSA registered ADI
IAM registered Advanced Instuctor
Red Badge Observer
Green Badge Senior Observer
malc

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum