Anyone got traction control on their bike?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby playtent » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:40 pm

Guys

My bike has traction control. Having read about how it works I still don't really understand how it can! I know how a system works on a car by applying brakes to different wheels, but surely if can not be anywhere near as good having only 2 wheels. It only cuts the power to the rear wheel, but doesn't brake the front.

It must be very basic and not really wanting to test it with 170bhp, I'd like some reassurance that it would actually work should the need arise! It has 8 settings from nice and steady to yee haa!
I'm sticking with nice and steady for now!

Cheers
playtent

Postby waremark » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:23 am

In the early days of car traction control all it did was to reduce or cut power if it detected slip. I imagine that is what the bike version does, which will prevent loss of control from use of excess power.
waremark

Postby jont » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:06 am

Are you mixing traction control and stability control? As Mark said, traction control on a car detects the driven wheels slipping compared to undriven, and simply cuts (or perhaps reduces) the power until the slip stops.

Stability control is the extra electronics that can selectively brake wheels and has extra sensors that measure things such as steering lock applied, yaw rate etc
jont

Postby playtent » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:21 am

Jont

Yes I am! :roll:

Moving along... :?

Cheers
playtent

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum