Additional rear view mirror.

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Luke » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:48 am

I am looking for an additional rear view mirror, like the type that driving instructors use.

In particular I would like one that I could fix and remove easily, onto the bottom of the existing mirror.

I don't like the idea of the suction mirrors because the idiots in my area will think its a Sat Nav Holder, and I will get a smashed windscreen :evil:

I know there are a fair few Teachers and Observers on here, and am wondering if anyone knows where I can get one, and if they have a 'name'.

Thanks!
Luke

Postby James » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:42 am

Rear View Mirror.

Ebay.
James

Postby 7db » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:17 am

Halfords do stick on ones for a fiver.
7db

Postby Roadcraft » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:03 am

Luke,

The ones that stick to the bottom of the standard mirror are hard to come by.

IN addition, they are clumsy and are a big distraction to the driver. We have one on a car at work and it's a bloody nightmare.

Best to get a small one, from halfords and one that is only 4" by 2". They are clearer and less obstructive than the larger ones.

When affixed to the windscreen, they are usually too high for the suction mark to be mistaken for a satnav mark by a thief and often they sit in the sun shaded area.

Besides, I often leave my mirror affixed.
Roadcraft

Postby Susie » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:32 am

Hugh and I have a second RVM in all our cars and when we're on Drive Days, we take a spare one to use in those cars as well. I hate it when I can't see the overall picture from the passenger seat, particularly if the nearside door mirror is configured so that all I can see is the side of the car :shock:

If you're worried about having your car window smashed - just remove the mirror each night and use a cloth to clean off the telltale suction mark, although we've never had any damage done to our cars because of second RVMs.

I'm not sure why you'd want a mirror fixed to the existing one. As RC has said, they're clumsy...(expensive) and difficult to obtain. They also take an extra chunk off your forward field of vision, whereas the cheapy jobs can sit easily and unobtrusively to the lhs of the centre mirror.

Susie :)
Susie

Postby Luke » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:32 am

James wrote:Rear View Mirror.

:lol: Never.....
Luke

Postby Luke » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:36 am

Thanks for the replies, I take it the 'suction' cup one is the most favourable then..
I didn't realise the clip on wones would be so clumsy.

Would you recommend something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1
Luke

Postby 7db » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:01 pm

that's identical to the one I have.
7db

Postby ScoobyChris » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:08 pm

Susie wrote:If you're worried about having your car window smashed - just remove the mirror each night and use a cloth to clean off the telltale suction mark

Or, even simpler, just leave it in place :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby ROG » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:57 pm

A suction mirror costs £2.09 from Wilco/Wilkinson store and has a lock lever that makes it secure onto window and easy to remove.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Return to General Car Chat Forum