Birthday Advanced Session

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby BigJim » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:01 pm

My Gran has bought me a half-day session for my birthday with a local ADI who is a retired Police Class 1 from Hampshire Police, A first for me. The only time I had a class 1 in the car before was on my RoSPA test!

I'm looking forward to the experience, and was wondering:

1)Should I compile a list of things I think I'm weak on before I go, or will he assess me and go from there?
2)Should I go in his car(Peugeot 206) or go in my own (Hyundai Matrix)?

Silly questions really, but I'm not sure, and want to make best use of this expert's time.
BigJim

Postby Gareth » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:09 pm

BigJim wrote:1)Should I compile a list of things I think I'm weak on before I go, or will he assess me and go from there?

You could compile a list, but it might be better to think in more general terms about what you want to learn. Ask yourself why you are doing this, and it's possible that the best answer you can come up with is that you want to be a better driver. If that's the case, tell him that up front, and leave it to him to decide what improvements should be made first.

BigJim wrote:2)Should I go in his car(Peugeot 206) or go in my own (Hyundai Matrix)?

Definitely go in your own car if you have that option. You will waste time getting to grips with another car, and spend too much mental concentration dealing with the unfamiliar controls and handling, leaving less available for improving your driving.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Advanced Roadcraft » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:06 pm

Gareth wrote:
BigJim wrote:2)Should I go in his car(Peugeot 206) or go in my own (Hyundai Matrix)?

Definitely go in your own car if you have that option. You will waste time getting to grips with another car, and spend too much mental concentration dealing with the unfamiliar controls and handling, leaving less available for improving your driving.

Seconded! (And it means you have no opportunity to use those 'unfamiliarity excuses :D )

You'll learn a lot ; enjoy!

Best, B
Advanced Roadcraft

Return to General Car Chat Forum