Driver Distraction

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Gareth » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:22 pm

Something that annoys me, and has safety implications, is the reflection of sunlight off the top of the dashboard. It seems some car designers expect that the sun will always be high in the sky ... the rake of the windscreen can be significant, because sometimes one can't see out because of the bright interior reflection.

Another annoyance I have is the adjustment of steering wheels - sometimes I find that the only good position is one in which the display dials are partially obscured.

It strikes me that these complaints are of a more fundamental level than whether the decoration is plaid or tartan - you'd think there were some basic ergonomic design rules that had to be followed when designing car interiors.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby TripleS » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:22 pm

7db wrote:I often describe the best way to hold the wheel to have your fingertips around Steve's nipples. As I understand it, he favours the technique with the lighter fingertip touch. :shock:

Unless you really need to be heavy handed with something I think the lighter touch usually gives a nicer result.

....and the reader will no doubt interpret that in various ways, some of which might even relate to driving. :smile:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby BigJim » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:20 pm

We haven't yet touched on the compulsive speedo-checking around fixed cameras yet... what about that... can that be classed as a "Driver Distraction"?
BigJim

Postby manilva15b » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:31 pm

On interior design I've always found the French to be very good here, so would suggest you have a look at the specs for, for example Citroen C8, C4 Picasso, Renault Espace & Scenic etc.

Note these are all people carriers and therefore aimed at families with kids.

Some of the little touches I've experienced or heard about which could make the interior better:
Drop down / fold away mirror to keep an eye on the kids (or be used by your IAM observer!) - fitted to the C8 but placed too high to be really useful :( .
Low level all round lighting - fitted to the C4 Picasso
Variable panel light brightness - fitted to many cars, the best I found was the simplest which dimmed the panel lights automatically when the headlights were turned on.
Loads of storage space for both big and small items. Loose articles are distracting if you can hear/feel them moving around.
Chunky controls are better than small, fiddly ones - radio and aircon designers take note! My wife has always liked those found in the old(er) Skodas such as the Favorit. Also I find flush buttons more distracting than ones that stand proud since you can find them with your fingers, not your eyes.
The speedo should always be directly in front of the driver's eyes - C8 designer take note :evil:
Please, please design me a carpet that doesn't trap every particle of dirt, mud, crumbs, chewing gum etc. with such a tenacious grip you need a Sellafield powered vacuum to clean it :twisted:

No control should be a stretch for the driver's arm nor any readout a stretch for the eyes - tiring and distracting.

And finally, perhaps link a control to the clock so that say, between 8pm and 6am, a regular (say every 20 mins), intrusive beep occurs that the driver has to cancel - the C8 seat belt alarm seems suitably annoying (but not distracting).
manilva15b

Postby Gareth » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:18 pm

manilva15b wrote:The speedo should always be directly in front of the driver's eyes

Perhaps I'm strange in thinking that one thing Alfa got right on my GTV6 was to place the rev counter directly in front of the driver, and to position other minor dials such as the speedo off to the sides :wink:
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby SamD » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:42 pm

SamD

Postby williams » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:41 pm

thanks chaps, all very useful stuff!!
any more ideas post them up!!.....feel free to email me too, andy.avfc@btinternet.com
regards
williams

Postby Roadcraft » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:47 pm

Driver distractions come in all sorts of shapes and sizes...

Roadcraft

Postby Advanced Roadcraft » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:57 pm

Roadcraft wrote:Driver distractions come in all sorts of shapes and sizes...

Yup...many fewer 'distractions' now that summer's over, I find. :(
Advanced Roadcraft

Postby TripleS » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:14 am

Advanced Roadcraft wrote:
Roadcraft wrote:Driver distractions come in all sorts of shapes and sizes...

Yup...many fewer 'distractions' now that summer's over, I find. :(

Yes, regrettably so. :(

I might have known that 'non Advanced' Roadcraft (talent spotter extraordinaire) would produce that type of example.

Good morning G. :smile:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Gromit37 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:24 pm

Indeed. The worst part of working at the Uni is that there are so many distractions in short skirts. :roll: The real downer is that they all bugger off home before the warmest months arrive! :( Driving can be a very dangerous activity all year round on campus.

Luckily, my girlfriend laughs when an attractive girl comes along. She doesn't mind me looking. She knows exactly how my brain works... which is quite scary and probably means that I'm shallow and predictable. :cry:
Gromit37

Postby Roadcraft » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:43 pm

TripleS wrote:I might have known that 'non Advanced' Roadcraft (talent spotter extraordinaire) would produce that type of example.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Hiya Dave...it's nice to be predictable...(every now and then)
Roadcraft

Postby TripleS » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:42 pm

Roadcraft wrote:
TripleS wrote:I might have known that 'non Advanced' Roadcraft (talent spotter extraordinaire) would produce that type of example.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Hiya Dave...it's nice to be predictable...(every now and then)

In that case would it be safe to predict that you'll be zooming down to join Gareths Gang on 18th?

<Come to think of it folks - I wonder if it would be any help if I were to offer to trundle him down there for the day. I know it would be a long day for him, but I suspect he doesn't get out much, so it might make a nice change. I could even lend him old CUBby if he felt like doing the odd :roll: demonstration drive.>

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum